Calories In - Calories Out, High Fat - Low Carb, Carb Cycling, OMAD???

Options
What's a girl to do? I have tried everything and they all work, for a while but then I fade away, usually because of boredom, deprivation, and the challenge of it all. I have a lot to lose, nearly 100 lbs that has crept onto my body since turning 40, it's been 18 years :\ I even became vegetarian for 3 years (too much pasta and cheese in that diet). I suffer from IBS and Diverticulosis so food has always been an issue for me. Grains bother me, wheat affects me, dairy is hard on my system too, I've been to the E.R. twice after eating ice cream, seriously. I don't understand how I can be so heavy when my diet is so limited.
Please! Help me to figure out how to lose this weight before it kills me.

Replies

• CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should also say that I hate cooking. I use to cook, a lot, even ran a successful catering company. Now I'd like to be locked in a room and have a peanut butter sandwich slid under the door until this weight comes off but my family expects more from their mom.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything and they all work, for a while but then I fade away, usually because of boredom, deprivation, and the challenge of it all.

You have already answered your own troubles. Nobody can tell you how to get out of your own way. It sounds like you are your only obstacle.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Even though you cannot have certain types of food due to health issues, there are still other types that you can. Stick to a sustainable calorie deficit, take it slow and have patience. Keep your doctor in the loop.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your situation is really not that complicated because ....

Eat less than you burn everyday. If you gain weight you are eating too much everyday. Even if your diet is limited to certain foods, you are consuming tooooooo much of it.

For weight loss it is all about calories in and calories out... If there is seriously something else to what you posted then you need a doctor to rule out underlying health issues.

Not trying to be rude but your diet is not issue and its limitations on what you can and cannot eat are not the problem.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    Options
    Just eat less of what you normally eat, record that amount, record your weight progression and make adjustments going forward. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything and they all work, for a while but then I fade away, usually because of boredom, deprivation, and the challenge of it all.

You have already answered your own troubles. Nobody can tell you how to get out of your own way. It sounds like you are your only obstacle.

A bit harsh, but yeah, that's sure what it sounds like.

Perhaps you should start with the basics - don't worry about how much you eat, just start tracking WHAT you eat. Log it all - ALL - for a few weeks. If you do that, then come back and open your diary, you'll get lots of meaningful, helpful advice on how to proceed next.

This isn't the only way to do it - but it is a way that WILL work if you stick to it.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Perhaps you should start with the basics - don't worry about how much you eat, just start tracking WHAT you eat. Log it all - ALL - for a few weeks. If you do that, then come back and open your diary, you'll get lots of meaningful, helpful advice on how to proceed next.

This is a really good idea, OP. I think you might be overcomplicating it and it might be that a series of smaller changes will work well, or maybe looking at the diary will spark some ideas for some obvious and easy changes. I know looking at my habits did that for me.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    What's a girl to do? I have tried everything and they all work, for a while but then I fade away, usually because of boredom, deprivation, and the challenge of it all. I have a lot to lose, nearly 100 lbs that has crept onto my body since turning 40, it's been 18 years :\ I even became vegetarian for 3 years (too much pasta and cheese in that diet). I suffer from IBS and Diverticulosis so food has always been an issue for me. Grains bother me, wheat affects me, dairy is hard on my system too, I've been to the E.R. twice after eating ice cream, seriously. I don't understand how I can be so heavy when my diet is so limited.
    Please! Help me to figure out how to lose this weight before it kills me.

If each of these techniques works for you, but you just get bored with them, there's really no harm in alternating.

Do three weeks of CICO until you start slipping, then change it up; do 3 weeks of low carb, 3 weeks of paleo, 3 weeks veganism, whatever.

You need something to be sustainable in the future; in the interim however, since you simply get bored, this is an option for you.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you go to extreme too me. Deprivation? Boredom? Fade?

How do you feel deprived? Because you cutting "bad" foods. Tried just eating less, not different. Say for example you ate a whole pizza each week, you start dieting and cut pizza, feel deprived and give up. Try half a pizza or a quarter. You still get pizza just with in your budget.

Bored I think would be caused by the same issue, you probably cut all the fun foods completely. Or maybe for simplicity you ate the same food day in day out.

So like someone mentioned track all your foods, open you diary and get advice.