• Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Vanity?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ETA: oh, somehow I didn't see that you said you have hyperphagia.

But do you have PWS? Because that was your intimation. Hyperphagia is not PWS and although you were the one who mentioned PWS as a shaming device toward me, you are still skirting the question. In fact, you were using it as support for your assertion that I'm ignorant, yet now you're backpedaling like mad.

That's pretty darned manipulative, frankly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Vanity?

Putting aside the poster with a medical condition....
    Vanity and false expectations/hope is all it is! :confounded:
    Like I said before, that half wit Kim Kardashian endorses these things which says a lot :huh:
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

But do you have PWS? Because that was your intimation. Hyperphagia is not PWS and although you were the one who mentioned PWS as a shaming device toward me, you are still skirting the question. In fact, you were using it as support for your assertion that I'm ignorant, yet now you're backpedaling like mad.

Yeah "I don't feel hungry" turned into PWS and "my back hurts" turned into scoliosis.

And somehow in this thread we have someone with a child who had genetic testing for PWS and another poster with a background in pediatric neurosurgery (the people who do those expensive spine surgeries).

I would bet my house those diagnoses are self-given. No physician would ever endorse a waist trainer as a treatment for scoliosis or any other form of back pain. I have seen the damage they do. Bad news.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yeah "I don't feel hungry" turned into PWS and "my back hurts" turned into scoliosis.

And somehow in this thread we have someone with a child who had genetic testing for PWS and another poster with a background in pediatric neurosurgery (the people who do those expensive spine surgeries).

I would bet my house those diagnoses are self-given. No physician would ever endorse a waist trainer as a treatment for scoliosis or any other form of back pain. I have seen the damage they do. Bad news.

Far out. It would be incredibly sad if this were true....

• KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So does foot binding.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nectere wrote: »
    Way to pull out P-W as an "aha!" when you didn't bother to mention it before.

My "ignorance" of your having P-W is in no way astounding unless you were assuming I was psychic. Or unless you are very easily astounded.

I am not ignorant of the mechanics of P-W (in fact, my son was assessed for it along with other genetic testing). If there's anything astounding here, it's your nearly unbelievable presumptions.

Happy trails.

I was responding to your attitude regarding my comments about being unable to feel full, usually I only encounter that level of mocking vitriol when people are ignorant that you can be born without an ability to feel full. I only mentioned P-W by name when you decided to make up an acronym in a way that came across as quite rude.

If there was a misunderstanding, I apologise, but your posts felt quite attacking.

So DO you actually have P-W? You had genetic testing?

Yes, and years of physical therapy, occupational therapy, growth hormone injections when I was younger and more crap than I like to relive. And, to make things a little bit worse, my Biologicals also drank, so I was very lucky to be adopted by a loving family who was willing to cart me to Hershey Medical and Shriner's and mortgage the house to pay for treatments for this and that.

And no, I have no illusions about my weight, I'm at MFP to change it, because I know the difference between waist-training and weight loss and I am doing both.

Well, if you have PWS and your family forced food on you, and even today, won't let you leave the table until they (not you) are satisfied, what you need, IMO, is to take some control of your own life (and responsibility for your choices), and to be clear to your family that you will no longer tolerate the behavior. Deliberately overfeeding a PWS individual may even constitute abuse, IMO - for God's sake, you could actually kill the person. There are cases of PWS individuals who actually experienced stomach tears requiring hospital care, and that was just feeling themselves. Someone else, family no less, force-overfeeding a PWS individual, I...just...can't even.

But so too do you need (in my own opinion only) to mature to the point that you don't feel you need to physically compress your stomach rather than speak frankly to your own family. Most of all, you need to not make comments that this line of conversation was prompted by, i.e. that you feel sorry for other people and that they can't be honest. I mean seriously, in light of all you've now revealed, can you see how ludicrous that appears?

And let's get down to some sort of a bottom line here. Your reasoning for wearing a corset is NOT the typical. By far. Obviously, you are very comfortably and very surely in the minority (how many waist-training enthusiasts have PWS, were force-overfed as children and have doctors who recommend waist reducing vanity equipment rather than a legitimate medical device for scoliosis?). So using your own motivations as listed here to prove that there can be legitimate, medical reasons for wearing a waist cincher/corset (v. an actual medical brace) won't apply to the general population - not by far. For you to make this into a whole medical crusade is simply beyond the beyond. You seem to not want to admit that the majority of "waist training" is done for far less deep reasons. You sound like you're trying to convince yourself more than you're trying to convince us.
  • lb20inblue
    Options
    When I had a major abdominal hernia repair surgery, my doctor provided me with a waist trainer like wrap for the duration of my recovery. I also know that in some countries, doctors provided a waist trainer like wrap for women postpartum. I think that for short term medical uses, they are fine. But for weight lost or creating a smaller midsection, it seems like not the best solution.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes, that was my son who had the genetic testing. :) He tested negative for PWS. He also tested negative for Fragile X, but that was basically just routine (at our neurologist's practice, anyway) for any child diagnosed with autism. He was negative for both and is simply Kanner ("Classic") autistic, categorized as moderate to severe, as well as intellectually delayed (moderate).

I think people who throw some of these scare words around don't realize that they may be speaking to people who understand the score. If untrue and simply used to shut down the person being argued with, that's sort of reprehensible to me, and probably to other people dealing with legitimate, diagnosed disorders. (Not saying the person I'm referencing doesn't legitimately have the disorder she referenced, of course I can't know that, but it IS a little suspect how the issues seem to have "evolved" during the course of the thread...so who knows. Either way it was pulled out of nowhere as a shaming/gotcha device, so sue those of us who have doubts, I guess. :) )

And none of the issues override personal responsibility anyway, in a non-intellectually delayed, physically mobile, self-sufficient adult who can and should pursue legitimate solutions, ones sanctioned by actual physicians (sorry, still not buying that a physician would sanction a vanity device purchased from just anywhere rather than prescribing and overseeing the use and efficacy of an actual medical device), IMO. "Using" these conditions in its way, for perhaps shock value/shaming the next person down, leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth although meh, that's on me.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lb20inblue wrote: »
    When I had a major abdominal hernia repair surgery, my doctor provided me with a waist trainer like wrap for the duration of my recovery. I also know that in some countries, doctors provided a waist trainer like wrap for women postpartum. I think that for short term medical uses, they are fine. But for weight lost or creating a smaller midsection, it seems like not the best solution.
    Compression garments are standard in treatment of lymphedema and after surgery to control edema. I don't do hernia repairs, so I don't know what the standard is there.

I do know spines. If people use these they are likely to end up with weak cores and musculoskeletal back pain.

Waist trainer = GOMER.
  • Nectere
    Nectere Posts: 24
    Options

Yes, I have P-W. I am not backpedaling. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough for you.

Because everyone likes talking openly about disorders? I don't like talking about my disabilities, I definitely don't like putting the name on it, because then all I get in my life is pity, and I hate it. I hate the people who ask me if I need help getting up the stage to graduate high school, and the people who try and tell me they "understand" what it's like when they have no idea!

None of my diagnoses are self-given. I do not believe self-given diagnoses are healthy. I believe self-diagnosing can lead to death if you misunderstand something, and any diagnosis needs to be done by a professional. If I was the kind of person who did believe in self-diagnosis, why would I be saying multiple times in this thread not to go into waist-training without doctor approval?
    Well, if you have PWS and your family forced food on you, and even today, won't let you leave the table until they (not you) are satisfied, what you need, IMO, is to take some control of your own life (and responsibility for your choices), and to be clear to your family that you will no longer tolerate the behavior. Deliberately overfeeding a PWS individual may even constitute abuse, IMO - for God's sake, you could actually kill the person. There are cases of PWS individuals who actually experienced stomach tears requiring hospital care, and that was just feeling themselves. Someone else, family no less, force-overfeeding a PWS individual, I...just...can't even.

There's a difference between force-feeding and them wanting to make sure I get enough. I have been none to severely overcorrect myself, especially in middle school, when my idea of "normal" portions is based on what I saw people eating in school.
    But so too do you need (in my own opinion only) to mature to the point that you don't feel you need to physically compress your stomach rather than speak frankly to your own family.

I have spoken frankly, the problem is without the corset, I don't know where the stop button is. It's more than just "maturity," and as I said, that is not the primary reason I use it, but because portion sizes are very hard for me to determine. I've tried weighing, which fed into unhealthy behaviours through high school, I've tried the "my plate" method, and I can never quite get it. This is a physical sensation that is enough to keep me from rationalising "a little bit more."
    For you to make this into a whole medical crusade is simply beyond the beyond.

I was never intending to make this into a medical crusade. I know I am one of a small number of people in that regard. My point was to inform the OP that corsets are not for weight loss, and then went into detail about what it is, and how they are not for weight loss. A bunch of different people picking on every little statement I made led into a bunny trail of why I in particular used it and has turned into people accusing me of lying and self-diagnosis.
    You sound like you're trying to convince yourself more than you're trying to convince us.

I am perfectly fine with my choice to waist-train. What I am not comfortable with is people spouting false information and comparing it to crystal meth based on what they think they do, and how uncomfortable they think it must be. That's all. I keep responding because I'm trying to make people realise that it isn't footbinding or some horrible thing that creates malformation in the bones. That's all.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Yes, I have P-W. I am not backpedaling. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough for you.

Not clear enough? You hadn't even mentioned it, period.

• buzzardh
    buzzardh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No physician would ever endorse a waist trainer as a treatment for scoliosis or any other form of back pain. I have seen the damage they do. Bad news.

Mine has, not as a prescription, but I went and asked about corsets and corset-training and if I could do it, and he said absolutely. He made sure to let me know what kind of workouts I would have to do to strengthen the muscles so I don't have muscle atrophy or weakening due to the corset, and said that the corset might even help with the thoracolumbar scoliosis I have.

As for losing weight with them, I definitely have, although I wasn't really trying. I've dropped 20lbs since I started wearing them.
  • Nectere
    Nectere Posts: 24
    Options

Not clear enough? You hadn't even mentioned it, period.

I meant clear enough when I mentioned it in response to your "FSAS-NOS" or whatever the acronym was. And no, I didn't mention it in the beginning, because a. most people don't know what it is b. I didn't think my medical history was relevant to the conversation c. people were already treating me like an idiot, and I didn't want to give them further ammunition in the "Oh, she's just stupid,' that everyone is piling on me. I had to fight hard to get to be seen as an intelligent person my entire life, and so no, I don't like admitting I have a disorder that has developmental delays as a major sign. I've grown up my entire life with people telling me how 'lucky' I am, I've had to deal with my biological mother telling me if she had known 'what I was' that she would have aborted me, with bullying so bad I had to switch to private schools because 'who's going to believe the girl who has to go to SPED and speech class and taken out of class to go to physical therapy. '

So yes, I obscure the terms, yes, I talk about symptoms instead of a disorder, and no I don't bring it up in every conversation about what underwear I wear. I have said over and over people have all sorts of reasons for wearing them. I did not say mine is the only reason or that everyone with back pain should wear them. I said anyone interested should do so with doctor approval.