Big weight loss = lots of extra flab

Options
First and foremost I didn't know where to put this message so apologies ahead of time. I have a question for people who have lost major weight over a hundred pounds and have had significant hanging or sagging skin, what did you do to successfully reduce it? I still have at least fifty pounds to go so it's a bit premature to worry about this but still I've got lots of flab after losing over a hundred pounds that is not doing much but getting in my way and making me feel uncomfortable. I know I need to do more exercises tailored to shaping the whole tummy area and I'm hoping it won't involve surgery. I don't have the money for it and secondly it seems like a big risk even though it would make me feel better about myself. Anyways I was wanting to get feedback on this and see how many people successfully shaped up after dealing with the excessive excess skin and what not.

Replies

• indexgoofy
    indexgoofy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hope to hear an answer on this too. I lost 70lbs so far, and I am wondering if the belly skin will ever tighten up through exercise. Sometimes it feels like the only answer is skin removal surgery, but who can afford that??
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself at 300 so not sure what I lost but about 200 now and look good although I wish tighter. I steam almost every morning after my work out and use a lot of lotion. No tanning, sun.i guess I can put up bare tummy profile pic if needed...use lotion lots and often I think..
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I lost 175 lbs and kept it off for 5 years (re-gained 85 when my mom died).

Even at my goal weight, and at the most fit I have been (building houses and hiking regularly, etc), I still had flabby arms and a tummy ponch. I could feel my muscle underneath, but the skin never really tightened up.

I decided to just find clothes that would flatter my figure (3/4 length sleeves, dresses that flare out, etc) and feel good about myself the way I was. The only time it really was noticeable was when I was naked, so I was sure to be naked only with people who I trusted to not judge me :wink:

The left over pudge did seem to shrink as time passed but it never went away completely. I could have spent hours each day toning but it just wasn't worth it to me. I felt really great even with the extra ponch... it's nothing to be afraid of, and definitely don't let it get in the way of your goal! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I lost 175 lbs and kept it off for 5 years (re-gained 85 when my mom died).

Even at my goal weight, and at the most fit I have been (building houses and hiking regularly, etc), I still had flabby arms and a tummy ponch. I could feel my muscle underneath, but the skin never really tightened up.

I decided to just find clothes that would flatter my figure (3/4 length sleeves, dresses that flare out, etc) and feel good about myself the way I was. The only time it really was noticeable was when I was naked, so I was sure to be naked only with people who I trusted to not judge me :wink:

The left over pudge did seem to shrink as time passed but it never went away completely. I could have spent hours each day toning but it just wasn't worth it to me. I felt really great even with the extra ponch... it's nothing to be afraid of, and definitely don't let it get in the way of your goal! :)

Thank you for this. <3
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Follow a progressive heavy lifting programme and start now

Loose skin is down to generic lottery and luck ...but flab is down to low body fat and maintaining muscle

Lift heavy things and put them down again

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Follow a progressive heavy lifting programme and start now

Loose skin is down to generic lottery and luck ...but flab is down to low body fat and maintaining muscle

Lift heavy things and put them down again

This^
    And lose your weight slowly.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I lost 155 lbs over 2.5 years. Lifted heavy for 1.5 years of that (still do, I didn't start straight away). I've been maintaining for 7 months or so... the skin isn't great. A lot on my tummy and upper arms, and some on my thighs. I also used a lotion for a while. I think it's down to genetics, age, starting weight and how long you were obese for tbh. But I also choose flattering clothes and most people don't notice the loose skin so much.