Morning running snack

I've recently started getting up and going for a run first thing in the morning. I was wondering what snack you might recommend that I have to get some energy in me?
I've had nothing the first few days and while I'm only doing about 3km I want to be able to push myself and go further in future. I get out of bed and am out the house within about 15 minutes so I'd ideally not have to prepare it. This running is something I want to do every morning Monday to Friday as part of my normal routine so little things like this will really help.

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    A banana
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    I like nature valley nut crisps
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Glass of water. You don't need to eat before a short run and you have plenty of energy in your body already.
    15 minutes isn't enough time to digest most things anyway.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    It's a personal thing, but with my early morning runs, I find my body is fine without anything other than a cup of tea, and am running around 7-10K. I have breakfast afterwards, and feel I've earned it by then :-)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I don't like to eat before morning runs. It'd take me a couple of hours to feel comfy running after eating, which means I'd have to get up at 4am on weekdays to squeeze it in - just no. If you feel OK you don't need to eat before (I find my running only suffers if I try to run longer than 1 hour). I try and have supper the night before about 10pm.
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Thanks guys!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    You probably don't need anything. If you feel like you're dragging, try some caffeine.

Otherwise, some fruit, a piece of toast with jelly or PB, even something like a granola bar or rice crispy treat. Not sure how much of that will actually be digested/absorbed in time for you to use it, though.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Glass of water. You don't need to eat before a short run and you have plenty of energy in your body already.
    15 minutes isn't enough time to digest most things anyway.

Agreed. This or a little coffee.

I only plan to eat before runs of over an hour.