Anyone else started trying to main build muscle???

Options
add me please need tips an motivation. Want to maintain but build muscle.

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    What kinds of strengthening exercises do you prefer?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance level and lift weights 2-3x/wk. Look into a program like Stronglifts or Strongcurves. You may have to adjust your calories to find what works for you, but this would essentially be a recomp--losing fat while building a little muscle. You might find that you lose inches in some places (fat loss) while gaining a bit in others (muscle growth). Its fun to see how you can change your body and get stronger.
  • donnalee120
    donnalee120 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Anyone else started trying to main build muscle???

I'm in the same boat, I will following this to see what is said. I'm kind of lost on how much weight to use and how many of what to do.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance level and lift weights 2-3x/wk. Look into a program like Stronglifts or Strongcurves. You may have to adjust your calories to find what works for you, but this would essentially be a recomp--losing fat while building a little muscle. You might find that you lose inches in some places (fat loss) while gaining a bit in others (muscle growth). Its fun to see how you can change your body and get stronger.

Great advice! I would definitely confirm the losing inches in some places and gaining in others. I used to have tiny, tiny arms, and now they've gotten pretty muscular, especially my shoulders. Thighs have more muscle on the quads and hamstrings, where as fat seems to sit more on the sides of the thighs (that's gone, lol). I run and do a lot of single leg weighted exercises (single leg deadlifts, pistol squats, etc) so it makes sense, and I really have enjoyed seeing the progress.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    taots1012 wrote: »

impossible, that's like saying I want more money but the number in my account not to change...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

impossible, that's like saying I want more money but the number in my account not to change...

not really, eat at maintenance, lift heavy, its a slow way to recomp but it can happen

• irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you keep working out with weights, and keep increasing the amount of the weights, you will get stronger. You may end up gaining weight, but you will have more muscle.
    You might want to work with a trainer to get a routine going that you can do on your own to make sure you are targeting the muscles you want to target - that's what I did and at some point I couldn't afford the trainer but my goal was always to get a good routine for myself. Also my opinion (others will disagree) is you need fuel for the workouts and life - and you want to make sure you have enough healthy calories to keep your metabolism going... protein can help with muscle recovery. Sleep is also important (so you have energy for the workouts). Not sure if this helps but it has helped me - still working on the sleep part!
  • 10ecmuscle
    10ecmuscle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want. My app will not play right today. Lol
  • taots1012
    taots1012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I guess I have to gain some to get those legs an arms An stomach I want. Let the gaining begin!
  • taots1012
    Options
    Thank you I definitely need t
    If you keep working out with weights, and keep increasing the amount of the weights, you will get stronger. You may end up gaining weight, but you will have more muscle.
    You might want to work with a trainer to get a routine going that you can do on your own to make sure you are targeting the muscles you want to target - that's what I did and at some point I couldn't afford the trainer but my goal was always to get a good routine for myself. Also my opinion (others will disagree) is you need fuel for the workouts and life - and you want to make sure you have enough healthy calories to keep your metabolism going... protein can help with muscle recovery. Sleep is also important (so you have energy for the workouts). Not sure if this helps but it has helped me - still working on the sleep part![/quo
    You might want to work with a trainer to get a routine going that you can do on your own to make sure you are targeting the muscles you want to target - that's what I did and at some point I couldn't afford the trainer but my goal was always to get a good routine for myself. Also my opinion (others will disagree) is you need fuel for the workouts and life - and you want to make sure you have enough healthy calories to keep your metabolism going... protein can help with muscle recovery. Sleep is also important (so you have energy for the workouts). Not sure if this helps but it has helped me - still working on the sleep part!

Thank you!! I will definitely need to make sure I get enough sleep
  • taots1012
    Options

Thank you!! I'm excited to start this new journey
  • taots1012
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    What kinds of strengthening exercises do you prefer?

I'm looking into some now not really sure any suggestions?
  • mattgrenier9
    mattgrenier9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason I cant add you but I am trying to do the same thing, you can add me if you like!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Nonsense!
    It's called recomping. When I started out it's what 95% of people did and what I'm still doing.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yes its called recomping. I've just spent a year doing it, with good results. No weight gained or lost, just reduced body fat and increased muscle mass.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Recomps work. Eat at maintenance, lift heavy shiz.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me - I'm not making crazy gains atm, but recomp is my goal
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just got on the recomp train.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to recomp as well.