Help with smaller/more frequent meals

Options
I'm new to this whole healthier thing and could really use some help/advise with the whole concept of eating smaller, more frequent meals.:huh: How often, how big, what kind of food combinations should I be working towards here? I'm used to eating one meal a day and grazing the rest of the day. This is going to be a HUGE change for me and any help/support anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Saragre
    Saragre Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I talked with a dietian who recommends 200-300 cal per meal 6 times a day, depending on how many daily calories are recommended for you. She urged me to try a fill 1/2 my plate with vegetables for lunch and dinner. The six meals a day feels like grazing to me!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi there.....I eat 3 meals here and at least 2 snacks. My diary is open if you would like to view it for ideas. I try to keep my meals between 300-400 calories each and at snacks usually are 100-200 calories. By eating more frequently, this keeps your metabolism at top performance and I'm never starving either. Good luck to you:)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do 3 meals and 2 snacks. I try to make lunch my biggest meal since Sometimes my snacks are really simple like 12 almonds. Sometime they are more substantial it depends on my mood, but I try to keep my overall calories intact in mind as well as my sodium and sugar intake.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is just an example of a typical day for me:

Meal 1: 1.25 cups of cereal, 1/2 banana with 1 cup 1% milk
    Meal 2: 1 large apple and 1 cup of low-fat yogurt
    Meal 3: 1 bowl of chicken noodle soup (low sodium), 3/4 tuna sandwich on 60% whole wheat bread, 7 baby carrots
    Meal 4: Handful of almonds, 1 mixed whole grain/granola bar, 6 medium strawberries
    Meal 5: 1 baked red potato, 1 dab of sour cream, 4 oz grilled steak, 1/4 cucumber (skin in tact), 1/4 cup of green peas
    Meal 6 (optional): If I'm hungry, I'll have 1 slice of 60% whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp peanut butter

HTH :)

Edited to add: I have a protein and carb with every "meal." Make sure you get your healthy fat in somewhere during the day.
  • chrisd25d
    chrisd25d Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you for the wonderful info! Now I feel like I have a good idea of what I should be doing.
  • peytjalmom
    peytjalmom Posts: 76
    Options
    A good balance of protein to carbs is 1 to 2. For instance, snacks can be 7g protein with 15g carbs. Meals can be 15g protein with 30g carbs. I got this info from a nutritionist.