Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    So, just to be clear, you need to cook it and then chill it for 12 hours before then reheating it again? A practice that isn't recommended because of the possibility of bacterial contamination.

And for this you get a 50%... oh wait, hang on: they've only shown a 10-12% reduction, which may or may not be significant, in a cup of rice which is... err... about 200 calories.

So you save 20 calories at the risk of botulism. Awesome.

I mean, WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K?

Botulism? really?
    Dafuq?
    ph2.gif

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    You're all going to die.

Totes srs.

http://youtu.be/Pv45h3xmZwE
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    So, just to be clear, you need to cook it and then chill it for 12 hours before then reheating it again? A practice that isn't recommended because of the possibility of bacterial contamination.

And for this you get a 50%... oh wait, hang on: they've only shown a 10-12% reduction, which may or may not be significant, in a cup of rice which is... err... about 200 calories.

Botulism? Isn't that a low oxygen bacteria that can be easily killed off with proper;y reheating?
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    I want to try this with donuts.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    A cup of cooked rice has a whopping 200 calories. That means if you if eat a cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll have consumed 600 calories. And this is a huge problem? For comparison, a single cinnabon has 880 calories.
    Ahh... so clearly rice is the problem with the western diet. Right.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    It would be simpler to just eat a bit less rice.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    jddnw wrote: »
    A cup of cooked rice has a whopping 200 calories. That means if you if eat a cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll have consumed 600 calories. And this is a huge problem? For comparison, a single cinnabon has 880 calories.

That sounds like a huge cinnabon.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member

600 calories of white rice daily is not an insignificant amount of calories. Cutting that down to 300 while by eating the same amount and simultaneously promoting GI health seems like a good idea to me! Or better yet, eat twice as much and still absorb the same number of calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Interesting.
    I probably wouldn't bother changing my rice cooking method since I don't eat rice for every meal. The benefits seem very small unless rice makes up a majority of your daily diet. Of course there are people like that so this might be easy and helpful change for them.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Vailara wrote: »

flj4ka96wd6v.jpg

• dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2015

_John_ wrote: »

I think the calorie difference is from the work done preparing it...

I'll press my luck with that bubbled out can on my shelf
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member

Hilarious.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    You're all going to die.

Totes srs.

OMG I'll let you know if it happens :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If? Are you a god or something?

I was trying to make a funny. I meant "if" i die from eating reheated rice and pasta ;)

When someone asks if you are a god, you say, "YES!"
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    You're all going to die.

Totes srs.

I was more impressed by the letting us know part. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited March 2015
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You're all going to die.

Totes srs.

I was trying to make a funny. I meant "if" i die from eating reheated rice and pasta ;)

Exactly! DYEG?
    tumblr_mtwnqoGLNZ1rgco4uo4_250.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited March 2015
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You're all going to die.

Totes srs.

Damn beat me to it.

"What did you do Ray.... WHAT DID YOU DO????"

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Vailara wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    dramatically cuts the calories
    Rice is like 200 calories a serving right? So 20 calories less? Call me when these so called scientists halve them at least. Lame.

Just to point out, this study is going on in Sri Lanka and the focus of the study is for countries that eat rice a lot more than westerners do. To say "just eat less rice" is probably a difficult concept for them because rice is such an integral part of their culture. Also since this is just the first study they have done, and only on one type of rice (they have many more to go) the hope is that they will be able to cut the calories by half eventually.

Science takes time, and the scientists get excited and share their work. To the rest of us we may think, "oh well 10% isn't that much," but to him and his teachers they are probably like, "OMG 10%!!! It took us 3 years to get to this point! We must SHARE!" (I do not know how long they worked on this, 3 years is arbitrary.)

I think it is interesting that there are even scientists looking into ways to cook food so that part of it is undigestable as a way to combat obesity.