Birth control and weight loss/management

Options
2»

Replies

• phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've tried out a lot of alternatives and it has been a struggle to find something which is reliable and effective, with the least side-effects.

- With the pill, I developed erythema nodosum (which is a painful inflammation of subcutaneous fat), mouth ulcers and joint pain - which had to be treated with steroids to allow me to walk
    - The depo injection caused continuous bleeding
    - The implant also caused irregular bleeding and joint pain. I also gained weight while using this. I do recognise that weight management is down to CI<CO and you can't 'blame' the hormones for weight gain - but it can create additional impediments

I've switched to the copper IUD and have used this for 2 years now.
    It's a relief not to have the joint pain, additional bleeding and weight management issues associated with hormonal contraceptives.

It has made period-flow heavier, although the length is the same. Cramps are severe - at first, I'd have about three days of contraction-like pain. Now it's reduced to one day and can be lessened with IBS medication.

Overall, it's a trade-off I'd accept to remove the side-effects of the hormonal methods - but I think that my personal decision is skewed by how severe my response to hormonal methods was.
  • SamanthaSW2015
    SamanthaSW2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dblaacker wrote: »
    I currently use the NuvaRing and while I love it because I don't have to remember a pill every day, I'm well aware that it's made me gain weight, and has an effect on my weight loss methods. I'm considering switching to non-hormonal birth control, particularly the Paragard copper IUD. Has anyone else here switched birth control and noticed an effect on their weight? Also, does anyone use Paragard? If so, how do you like that?

I was on the pill for 8 years for non-birth control reasons. I gained weight instantly the first month, then the second month (went up several sizes). For five years I watched my diet and exercised regularly at the gym with little to no success. I stopped taking the pill and the weight fell off within months. I've had several doctors comment that this happens to some woman but not all.

The weight I have now is honeymooners 15 x 2.

I am on the mini pill (cerelle) because my previous pill was giving me headaches, since being on cerelle I've put on a stone, I'm even doing slimming world and I'm active with a 3 year old and two dogs, and I bike yet the weight just wont shift! Has anyone been on cerelle then stopped it and saw a good weight loss??

• SamanthaSW2015
    SamanthaSW2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am on the mini pill (cerelle) because my previous pill was giving me headaches, since being on cerelle I've put on a stone, I'm even doing slimming world and I'm active with a 3 year old and two dogs, and I bike yet the weight just wont shift! Has anyone been on cerelle then stopped it and saw a good weight loss??
  • EbbonyM
    EbbonyM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've never had an IUD (I have 3 kids), but I've had Implanon. Worst experience ever. I had a period until I had it removed and gained 50 pounds before I knew it. I could not drop a single pound no matter what I did. They said I had to wait 6 months before I could get it removed and once I did I lost 30 pounds the first month without even trying. I switched to Yaz pill but I can't remember to take my pill (even with pill reminders) so I have switched to natural family planning/withdrawl for BC since 2011.