Before habits :)

Options
Anybody want to share how many caloies they were eating before they decided to lose weight ? Don't be shy about high numbers
I'll start. I could probably average 6000 a day

Replies

• shabir2015
    Options
    Might b 4500 a day
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Averaging around 3000-4000 logging has really opened my eyes to how bad certain foods are. E.g. I love Salami and would literally eat a whole pack!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The first day I logged was pretty typical. I just checked to see what it was ... 2321 calories.

But I did workout at the gym for 90 min that day + walking outside for a total of 115 minutes of exercise and 666 calories burnt.

Net total: 1655 calories.

Just high enough to put on weight very, very, very gradually.

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Not a clue. But I do know that the chocolate cake I had at the pub twice a week was 1,400 calories alone.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Anybody want to share how many caloies they were eating before they decided to lose weight ? Don't be shy about high numbers
    I'll start. I could probably average 6000 a day

I'm probably in your range. I never actually logged a typical day but it wasn't uncommon to drive through somewhere and get two burgers, a large fry and a large Coke for dinner and then have dessert on top of that.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    no idea but I imagine it was probably not far off from your range! I ate almost 3000 calories one day a few weekends back (it was a crazy day...) and remember thinking, wow, this isn't even as much as I used to eat DAILY.
  • racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    All you can eat China Buffet for lunch 5 days a week... one heaping plate of "sushi", one heaping plate of chicken wings, crab slop, sugared plantains, some kind of stir fried pork, and a couple spring rolls. Followed by a plate of chocolate and vanilla pudding with bannanas. Washed down with 5+ glasses of diet coke. My friend and I were such regulars, the staff sat us down with our own pitchers of diet coke. That ended 29 days ago.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    One of my typical dinners at On the Border included:
    -Chips and queso --> About 300 Calories
    - Cup of chicken tortilla soup --> 290 Calories
    - Cheese and onion enchilada --> 330 Calories
    - Chicken empanada --> 630 Calories
    - Khalula ice cream pie... all to myself --> 820 Calories

For a grand total of... 2070 Calories for one meal. I would eat my other meals before going out, and then I would go home and have more dessert. Not a fine moment. :s
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories I was eating, but I'm not at all confused (now) about how I gained so much weight.

In my "regular life" I only eat out about once a week so I had a "go ahead and treat yourself" mentality when I did. This was fine until I took a position that requires a lot of travel. In the past year I was travelling a lot, sometimes for two weeks at a time, and I would order whatever I wanted for three meals a day. I recently added up the calories on a appetizer/entree combo that was a favorite of mine and it was almost 1,500 calories. And I would have wine on top of that.

I haven't traveled a lot since starting MFP, but when I do go back on the road I feel like I have a much better understanding of what to do.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would say probably about 3500. I weighed out a dish of risotto this morning as a leftover and couldn't believe how many calories were in it. 56g (1/3 cup) was 190. I thought that I had a small serving of it and it came in at 610 calories. Sadly I had to put it back and rethink my lunch...I would have normally eaten twice that and some chicken to go with it.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I couldn't say exactly how many calories I was eating, but on most days, I would say it was between 1800-2200. Ridiculous that I gained so much weight with only that amount, but that's what happened. I just have a terrible metabolism, apparently.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I took in before but it was at least 2500 a day on average I would think -- probably more. I could easily put away half a pound of bologna, 4 slices of American cheese, 4 slices of bread, a mid-size bag of chips and two glasses of milk in one sitting. Now I have 2 oz. of turkey on a slider roll if I even have a sandwich. Chips, banished. Bread, cut way back. American cheese, only if I am having a cheeseburger (we all have our one bad habit we just will not break, I guess). Milk, reduced consumption. I am eating more greens. Improving the quality of what I eat and learning portion control, which includes learning how to stick something I love into the plan without blowing the whole day. Tracking is an eye opening experience. Just the other day I was at my favorite Italian restaurant. I LOVE their fettucine carbonara. But I know the plate would clock in at over 1000 calories. And, no, there is no human way I could have half! So I ordered a lovely grilled salmon with veggies. It was nice but even now my tastebuds are angry with me for doing what was right and ignoring their need for creamy goodness.
  • fellowtraveler87
    fellowtraveler87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    binge drinking 3-5 nights a week... probably anywhere from 900-1500 calories in beer each time + all the junk food I could get my hands on. Yeah, bad habit... sober since 1/1 and down 30 pounds (also increased exercise and restricted diet, but yeah you get the point)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    2,500 to 3,000 most days.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would guess for me that it was around 2100, except for the occasional weekend when I would have pizza, and then closer to 3500. I would eat fast food, but, then feel guilty about it and not eat the rest of the day. I would get a Mcdouble and a small fry, so around 700 calories. But for breakfast I would have already had a three egg scramble and a potato.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is only a guess, but I'd say I'd have anywhere from 2500 - 4000 per day. It wouldn't be unusual to have fast food dinners a few nights a week, but I had a HORRIBLE potato chip habit. I would easily wolf down a whole bag a few times a week! I fully believe in moderation and incorporating the foods I love into my caloric bracket, but potato chips are the only exception...they're like crack for me, I can't go near them. I also am a regular drinker, which I refuse to give up, but when I was not keeping track of calories, it would be normal for me to likely ingest another 1000 - 1500 calories in liquor on the weekends, on top of the food calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know how many calories I was eating before, but I know it was excessive when I put on 15 pounds in about 4 - 5 months..

Funny how this works, but I was eating and drinking all sorts of things and it would be a lot of it in one meal/snack or sitting and the beverages I consumed as well.. (talk about calorie or carb overload....)

I cut out a lot of things and particularly cut out "behaviors" that brought on terrible results. I eat better and make better choices and I basically maintain using my tools (habits I learned) and enjoy (more) and feel better with these new habits or choices.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    a LOT!
  • HaleysHeartfeltJourney
    Options
    My problem was drinking almost my weight in soda, and eating only once a day. I haven't cut out soda completely because when I try I just say F it to my progress and goals. So I drink some but I've upped my water intake by a lot. I drink about 5 16.9oz bottles a day at the least, which doesn't sound like much, but I was lucky if I drank a gallon of pure water, no additives at all, a year. My body in turn hated me and if I drank any I'd swell up. I stay at around 1350 calories a day now.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    No clue. But I know between the work donuts, the lunches out and the Happy Hour beers, it wasn't pretty.