How much do I eat if I don't know what I weigh?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The fact that you thought that was a funny post is sad ^^

The fact that OP comes to a help forum to ask how to determine their weight is a shameful post. I responded in kind. No effort earns no effort.

Not shameful, no.
    Your posts here are.
  • try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You could maybe enter your goal weight, and then choose "Maintain". You could either eat that or eat 10% less than that.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    I take a 20lb weight and place it on mine to calibrate it before i weigh.

Yeah, just get $20lb weights and see what the scale weighs them at. Or go to target and shellout $30 for a new digital scale. Whatever you do, stick with the same scale every time you weigh.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

The fact that OP comes to a help forum to ask how to determine their weight is a shameful post. I responded in kind. No effort earns no effort.

That's strange, how so? "Shameful"? Hmmm, not really seeing it, personally.

Shame: a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior.

Do you not think that asking "how do I weigh myself?" is foolish?
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    keep one new battery flat surface and a 5lb bag of sugar
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I thought it was funny...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I own three scales. Two of them are digital and one isn't and all three of them say my weight varies by about 30lbs. I have no idea which scale I should use or if I should just average them? Additionally, if I don't know how much I weigh then how should I go about setting my daily calorie intake?

OP: do you go to school? First thing, go in to the nurse/health center/gym. Take off as much of your clothes as is possible, and your shoes.
    start there.
    Then compare to two of the digital scales, on a hard, flat surface. Throw out the other scale.
    And put something you know the weight of on the two scales and see which one is CONSISTENTLY the closest. If none of them consistently weighs a 10LB bag of flour as 10LBs or at least consistently SOME number, then toss them both.

Good luck!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    A gallon of milk weighs around 8.6 lbs. Keep the scale that weighs closest and ditch the other two.
  • Zedeff
    Options
    More specifically, it's foolish precisely because the OP knows what to do and is using this to make excuses. Nobody on here is a certified scale repair person; we also can't telepathically fix this problem by saying "use the red one, the other two are wrong." The ONLY solution is for the OP to find a trustworthy scale and use it. She KNOWS this. Asking the question, when she already knows the answer, is a means of delaying the task at hand which is setting goals and starting off on a lifestyle change.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2015
    Options
    More specifically, it's foolish precisely because the OP knows what to do and is using this to make excuses. Nobody on here is a certified scale repair person; we also can't telepathically fix this problem by saying "use the red one, the other two are wrong." The ONLY solution is for the OP to find a trustworthy scale and use it. She KNOWS this. Asking the question, when she already knows the answer, is a means of delaying the task at hand which is setting goals and starting off on a lifestyle change.
    It must be awesome to be you (perfect, without fault or flaw) AND to be omniscient.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

Shame: a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior.

Do you not see that she's not asking how to physically weigh herself - i.e. "How do I stand on a scale?" or something - but rather is asking which weight she should choose given the extreme variation in her scales, and simply stated it in a way that didn't quite jibe with that? I mean she did explain what her question was. I'm not sure how that could have been missed.

I see what you were going there, some sort of an attempt at humor, and actually, I generally like that style of humor, it's just that it happened to not apply to this particular post.

Hope you figure it out, OP. :)

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    edack72 wrote: »
    keep one new battery flat surface and a 5lb bag of sugar

Probably the best way to go, IMO. And then whichever scale you do decide to go with, stay with that one - don't hop on the others out of curiosity. It will only confuse the issue. Even if the scale you wind up using is a couple/few pounds off, by using the same one you'll see whether you're trending generally downward, upward or maintaining.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Please cite where she asked how to weigh herself.

• Zedeff
    Options
    It must be awesome to be you (perfect, without fault or flaw) AND to be omniscient.

You're right, it IS awesome. Keep striving for those goals, you can be awesome one day too!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Since the "how do I know my weight?" thing has been more than adequately addressed by now...
    Additionally, if I don't know how much I weigh then how should I go about setting my daily calorie intake?
    What my doctor* & dietician told me when I started out was to take my healthy goal weight
    (based on BMI - see chart at link below) and multiply by 10 to get calories. Eat that. That's
    total, not net. Ignore net.

Pay attention to what your weight does** over the next month, as well as your measurements.
    If they're going down, keep at it. When you hit a plateau, drop 50-100 cal. If you're not going
    down, you've found maintenance, so again drop 100 cal. If you're going up, cut 200 cal and
    again wait a few weeks to see what happens.

http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

* endocrinologist specializing in weight loss issues
    ** after calibrating the scale, or figuring out which is most accurate, or simply deciding on
    which one you're going to use & stick with that one so you see a trend even if the number
    isn't accurate
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :no_mouth:
  • ldhudsonjr
    ldhudsonjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This really isn't a productive conversation any longer...
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    (The number of posts in this thread after 1 month)*pi = your weight in lbs.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    This all make me sad. I fear we're doomed as a people.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I thought your first post was funny, but man we all have questions sometimes that might have relatively simple answers. There's no shame in asking. You're assuming an awful lot about her motives.