Nutrisystem and Minimal Calorie Intake

Options
rememdium
rememdium Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone else here use Nutrisystem? If so, do you find it incredibly hard to consume even the minimal amount of calories suggested by this site? Nutrisystem's guide suggests using three entrees and two snacks per day. Based on that recommendation, here's what a typical day might look like:

Breakfast: Harvest Nut Bar (160 cal)
Snack #1: Zesty Herb Snack Mix (120 cal)
Lunch: Cheddar Broccoli Rice (200 cal)
Snack #2: Peanut Butter Cookie (150 cal)
Dinner: Mushroom Risotto (200 cal)

That's only 830 calories. This site recommends I consume at least 1200 calories (for men). In order for my food log to not scold me, I actually have to eat an additional dinner and snack (and that barely gets me there).

Keep in mind, I actually like Nutrisystem. Limiting my food options has really helped me out. Plus, I generally find their food both satisfying and pleasing. That being said, who's recommendations should I follow: Nutrisystem's or MyFitnessPal's?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. And the 1200 calorie minimum is for women; men should eat at least 1500 calories per day.

Reading their menu suggestions, you are supposed to be supplementing with some of your own groceries as well. Their own website says women should be eating 1200 calories and men should eat 1500. So, both sites say the same thing. Eat more.
  • Wen_Mitchell
    Wen_Mitchell Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How many Power Fuels and Smart Carbs are you supposed to eat per day? Also you are supposed to have at least 4 servings of non-starchy veggies everyday. :)
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    You're meant to add fresh food to the ready-meals aren't you? That will bump you up.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When my folks did NS, there were mad amounts of salads & non-starchy veg dinner sides involved. Yes (and yay!) for eating more & being healthy & sustainable.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh, and fruit. The new Glycemic Index may have changed the specific fruits, but I am sure there were fresh fruits involved.
  • jannamwagner
    Options
    I also have a hard time reaching 1200 calories but I eat a ton of non starchy veggies and will throw in an advocare meal replacement shake which has 250 cal sometimes just 2 mix it up
  • bhealthy1516
    bhealthy1516 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had bought a 5 day supply of that at a store, a couple of months ago and you definitely supposed to supplement, with fruit veggies and dairy, they had a phone number on the papers that were in the box, first full month from when you buy the box and you register the number on the card in the box, you should be able to call them with any questions, the other person that posted I think it was 1500 for men so what their meals and adding the other things should get you to that mark. I found it very convenient as well to have something ready and not to have to make the choice. good luck
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard time reaching 1200 calories but I eat a ton of non starchy veggies and will throw in an advocare meal replacement shake which has 250 cal sometimes just 2 mix it up

you should not be having a hard time hitting 1200. That's peanuts. seriously.
  • Heyloosie
    Heyloosie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since this was posted, but I'm on Day 5 of Nutrisystem, and I'm totally not able to make the 1200 daily calorie minimum. I'm working hard on the water, too - but I keep telling myself I'm not going to lose this 70 lbs. in a month, lol!! So we'll get there.

It just seems I have finished a meal/snack, and already it's time to start thinking about my next one. I'm not hungry for it yet - it hasn't been 3-4 hrs., and I hate that with that requirement, it seems I'm just thinking of food and meals all day long.

So I'm just doing it as best I can for the moment - down 4 lbs., and my normal is to lose 6 lbs. the first week (mostly fluid) and then I average 10 lbs. a month thereafter. So I'm good, as far as I am concerned. Also, I'm 67, so I don't think I need that many calories.