Working out for female beginners?

Options
Hi there. So, I have no idea how to work out. I spend my current time sitting around doing nothing, so jumping into the world of fitness is a little intimidating. I have searched the internet on how to work out for beginners, but there are so many different answers and it is overwhelming!
I am super out of shape and I also have a lower back that is in constant pain, so that can be annoying for exercise sometimes. How should I start? Should I be doing three days of cardio and two days of strength training? Should every day be a different part of my body? Should I change up my exercises every day? Is pre workout only for guys? Do I need to take protein powder with my meals?
I am obviously clueless, but I really want to start working out and feel good about myself. Hell, let's start with being able to walk up the stairs without getting winded. I would really appreciate some tips on working out to lose weight and tone up! Thanks!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you had your back checked out? If there is a specific problem with it I would talk to a physical therapist or your doctor about what kinda of exercise you should be doing and how to do it.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The best workout is one you like because if you like it, you're more likely to stick with it. Start slowly, especially if you have back issues. You could really start out with simply walking or stair climbing, if you have access to a set of stairs (especially a building more than a couple of floors high or a stairclimber at a gym). Climb as high as you can go without getting out of breath or shaky then walk down slowly and repeat.

I highly recommend strength training along with cardio because it will help you to maintain more of your current muscle mass as you're shedding pounds. This means that more of the weight you lose will be from fat, and not muscle.

You don't need protein powder unless you have problems getting enough protein in your regular diet. I try to consume 90-100 grams of protein each day with my 1300 calorie (plus exercise calories) daily allotment.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Check into The New Rules of Lifting for Women. it seems to be consensus around here that this is the book to start with.
  • leightybug098
    leightybug098 Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What do you currently weigh and what are your weight loss goals? What kind of body would you ideally like to achieve in the end?

And are you going to be working out at home or at the gym?

I weigh 180 and am wanting to lose 30-40. i was hoping to lose 20 lbs by the beginning of July though, as heat and fat do not mix. I don't want to be bulky, just toned! Oh and I wanted to start out at home but yeah I am planning on getting a gym membership

• leightybug098
    Options
    Check into The New Rules of Lifting for Women. it seems to be consensus around here that this is the book to start with.

K great thank you I will look into that :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Have you had your back checked out? If there is a specific problem with it I would talk to a physical therapist or your doctor about what kinda of exercise you should be doing and how to do it.

This. I spent several months last summer out of commission with back issues, and physical therapy helped me first feel better, and secondly, learn what I needed to do to strengthen my back without making it worse.
  • leightybug098
    Options

This. I spent several months last summer out of commission with back issues, and physical therapy helped me first feel better, and secondly, learn what I needed to do to strengthen my back without making it worse.

Haha well I can't afford physical therapy...but a doctor would have ideas about work outs to help my back?
  • leightybug098
    Options

http://www.amazon.ca/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398 is this the book you are talking about?

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

http://www.amazon.ca/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398 is this the book you are talking about?

Yes.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Haha well I can't afford physical therapy...but a doctor would have ideas about work outs to help my back?

Insurance covered most of my PT. I think I ended up paying about $5 a visit out of pocket. I had to get a referral from my regular doctor before going, so that would be a good first step.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Start out by trying different things and seeing what you enjoy. You're much more likely to stick with something if you like it! Once you figure out what you like, then figure out a program!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    A doctor or chiropractor (if you get a good one) should be able to determine why your back hurts and if there are any lifts you shouldn't do. For me, doing heavy deadlifts has strengthened my back and significantly reduced my scoliosis-induced pain - but my doc cautioned against doing anything that requires rotating with weight (i.e. russian twists and certain ab machines) because it'll aggravate my curvature.

Also, if you're medically cleared, don't be afraid to lift as heavy as you can. You're not going to get bulky. Building up a solid base of muscles and then lowering your bodyfat will make you look toned - if you just drop fat without building muscle you'll wind up skinny-fat (take it from the girl who was flabby at 95 lbs).

I haven't tried NROLW but I started by googling basic dumbbell lifts (things like squats, lunges, romanian deadlifts, shoulder presses, rows, etc) and starting out small (I think I started with 5 lbs) and worked my way up to heavier weights. Eventually you'll reach a point where you can use a regular bar if you get to the gym.

And all activity will help. Swimming, running, taking long walks, dancing, calisthenics while you watch tv - the more you move the better. Good luck!
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your back issues are, but I know that I had problems with my lower back that have gone away since starting yoga and strength training.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, yoga! It's great to combat tightness from lifting and loosening up the hips can help with back pain a lot as well. Not to mention it helps keep your posture and form correct while you do everything else in life :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    First thing to do is to get the back checked out. While a doctor might be able to advise you on exercise, I wouldn't count on it. But, (s)he should at least be able to help you get the problem(s) fixed - or at least better.

Regarding pre-workouts: no, they're not just for men, but you probably don't need one. I'd venture to say that most people don't need them.

Regarding protein powder: no, you don't need to take it. It's mostly just a supplement, if you're not reaching your protein goals. That said, I sometimes just want a protein shake, so I drink one. Some of them can be quite tasty. You still want to count the Calories, but they can be a nice treat, if you're in the mood.

Regarding workouts - for after you get the back more or less squared away: find something you like. I know that's not much help, but if you're not enjoying whatever it is you're doing, I'd think you'd be more likely to find a reason to stop doing it. Your 3-days of cardio, 2-days of lifting is a sound plan. Realistically, once you figure out what's going on with your back, then a full plan can truly be addressed.
  • leightybug098
    Options
    Okay great thank you everyone!
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you're getting started at home check out the free workouts on Youtube. Here's a link to one that has a bunch: https://youtube.com/channel/UCD0nBMLdq_KbIK9u-mzpNkA I personally love Jillian Michaels and a number of hers are on there for free.

When I was at your weight I had major lower back problems that were all tied to not having a strong core. I put my back out and was completely incapacitated constantly. Now that I'm lighter and stronger it pretty much never ever bothers me. And if it does start twinging its a good sign for me to stop slacking off and get back to work.

Definitely get checked out by your doctor, but I wanted you to know that if you're problems are similar to mine you can "cure" them with exercise and weight loss, and it is so awesome to not worry about it.
  • kalee_go
    kalee_go Posts: 45
    Options
    My back used to hurt as well. I started doing a little stretching and started using the Yoga For Dummies video. After about 2 weeks my back stopped hurting and hasn't bothered me since. They have that video on YouTube broken into segments if you wanna check it out.