Looking for a whole wheat bread recipe

Options
maezawi
maezawi Posts: 1
i need a recipe for making a whole wheat bread (like 100% whole wheat) with the most basic easy to find ingredient. I would highly appreciate your help. Thanks.

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I searched high and low for a good whole wheat bread recipe (like Great Harvest). I eventually gave up and just buy it now but here's the best one I found in my search...
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, 100% whole wheat bread recipes turn out very dense and heavy. I'm a really good bread maker and the only halfway decent whole wheat loaves I've ever made have had more white flour than whole wheat. I've tried the King Arthur recipe and it was okay toasted, but I wouldn't make it again.
  • hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    We bake our bread at home, 1 loaf (approx. 80g equals 165 cal). How can I send you the recipe?
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    One basic ratio that works for bread is:
    1 cup flour (measured by stirring the flour to uncake it, scooping, then levelling)
    1/3 cup water
    1/3 tsp active yeast
    1/3 tsp salt
    optional 1 tsp of something sweet (honey, molasses, sugar)

This makes approximately 1/2 lb of bread. Double, triple or otherwise increase the number of units you use depending on the size of your pans or bread machine.

We typically use a 50:50 mixture of whole wheat and "bread machine" flour to get the texture right. If you wanted to try 100% whole wheat flour, I recommend adding some vital wheat gluten to the mixture, but even then it might turn out rather dense.

With honey, this run approximately 80 cal/oz bread.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    This is a really great website. You can find all kinds of beginner-friendly bread recipes.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    We bake our bread at home, 1 loaf (approx. 80g equals 165 cal). How can I send you the recipe?

Just copy and paste it into the body of your post.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, 100% whole wheat bread recipes turn out very dense and heavy. I'm a really good bread maker and the only halfway decent whole wheat loaves I've ever made have had more white flour than whole wheat. I've tried the King Arthur recipe and it was okay toasted, but I wouldn't make it again.

My experience as well. My best breadmaker breads are 50/50 white flour and whole wheat. I've also experimented by adding a tablespoon of Xanthan gum, which does help with the springiness. Use stone ground whole wheat or else sift the flour to remove the bran. Many commercial whole wheat flours add the bran back in to make it "whole wheat" but those bits of bran cut the gluten fibers, resulting in a dense, dense loaf. I save the sifted bran and sprinkle on top of the loaf before it bakes.

Try this:
    1 cup (240mL) water
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup (54g) vegetable oil
    4 cups (512g) bread flour (2 cups white, 2 cups whole wheat)
    4 Tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. (5.6g) salt
    2-1/2 tsp. (7g) active dry yeast
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »

Just copy and paste it into the body of your post.

I attached snapshot from recipe tool. Notice that these ingredients are for 125 loaves.

6h1dkoiy3t0z.jpg
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I searched high and low for a good whole wheat bread recipe (like Great Harvest). I eventually gave up and just buy it now but here's the best one I found in my search...
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe

This is the recipe that I use. Make sure you do the extra step of letting the dough rest for 30 minutes prior to kneeding. This helps soften the bread. Otherwise, it comes out like a brick.

You can also do a batter bread if you don't have a stand mixer (i'm not kneeding stuff by hand). I usually use the 4 grain betty crocker recipe, but I found this one you could try.

http://breadbaking.about.com/od/batterbreads/r/All-Wheat-Batter-Bread.htm
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

I have great luck with most all wheat or partial wheat bread recipes by adding 1-2 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten to it. Works great in the bread machine too:)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Okay! Here is mine. I make rolls with it.

1 cup very warm water
    1 pkg (or 2.25 tsp) yeast
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 cup oil
    3 cups flour... I use half whole wheat and half white bread flour but you can use all whole wheat.

Dissolve yeast and sugar in water, then place in mixer bowl. Add salt and oil; slowly work in flour until dough is no longer sticky but is not dry.

Knead 5 minutes. You can knead by hand, but I use the mixer because I'm arthritic. While this is going on, heat your oven to its lowest setting.

Turn oven back off. Place dough in greased bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in warmed oven for 45 to 60 minutes.

Shape dough into round or baguette loaf, or cut into 12 pieces for rolls. Rewarm oven while shaping. Place bread on greased pan (metal or glass is fine), and cover with plastic wrap. Turn oven back off. Leave shaped bread in the warm oven for about half an hour. Then pull off the plastic wrap and turn the oven on to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 28 minutes, 30 if you like it a little browner.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    125 loaves or 125 slices? I'm running the maths and it seems that the amount of bread flour should make about four loaves.
  • hanymamdouh
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    125 loaves or 125 slices? I'm running the maths and it seems that the amount of bread flour should make about four loaves.

I don't understand the difference between both. I made 125 pieces each piece weighs around 70 grams of flat bread, like very thin tortilla wrap. Forgive me as my first language isn't English. Hope I could described it correctly.

BTW don't forget to add water weight because we add water for the dough.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    AHA! A flat bread. That explains it. Thank you.
  • monicamminson
    monicamminson Posts: 3 Member
    Options

jgnatca wrote: »

Try this:
    1 cup (240mL) water
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup (54g) vegetable oil
    4 cups (512g) bread flour (2 cups white, 2 cups whole wheat)
    4 Tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. (5.6g) salt
    2-1/2 tsp. (7g) active dry yeast

Temperature and time?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe of mine: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/other-bread/whole-wheat-sandwich-bread.html

Bread is basically flour, water, salt and yeast. That's it. You don't need anything more for a good bread. Lately I've been making a 50/50 white/whole wheat bread that is just those four ingredients.

It's true, 100% whole wheat is denser than 50/50 white/whole wheat but that doesn't mean it's bad. 100% rye is even denser.

When I make a 100% whole wheat bread, I make a dough with 85% or more hydration. Whole wheat needs more water than white. In other words, if I used 600g of flour, I'd use 510g of water. This would be too wet to knead in the standard way but would work very well using a no-knead recipe or stretch-and-fold.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I use this one and it doesn't get any easier! It uses white and whole wheat flour.
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/24932/whole-wheat-beer-bread/?page=0