The Re-beginning of my Weight Loss Journey

Options
Hello everyone, I am overweight.

There I said it...I can't take it back because it is true. I have known this for a while and hid my head in the sand because I didn't want to face the facts, but it is time. When did my epiphany hit? Last weekend officially...but let me take you on the journey (I will warn you this is long):

Many years ago I started this goal setting journey that each year/quarter (depending on how long it took to complete the designated goal) I would pick a goal and focus on it until I reached it. Well, my initial goal was to complete a half marathon, weight loss was a subsequent result, but it wasn't my focus. My focus was the half. I accomplished that goal and subsequently lost 4 dress sizes. You see I don't really believe in weighing myself. I feel it discourages more than encourages and often times can be very misleading. In fact, pre-marathon I weighed 240 lbs and post I weighed 240lbs, but went from a size 20 to a size 16. What I had done was switch fat to muscle (which weighs the same but is smaller) and lost inches. If I had been focused on weight loss and the scale during this time I would have been so discouraged. Immediately after that I started salsa dancing because I wanted to learn how to do it (it is such a romantic, sexy and fun dance) and I also wanted to continue exercising but I wanted it to be fun. For anyone who has attempted to learn this dance...you quickly realized you sweat a lot...that is why many salsa dancers don't wear a lot of clothes...but I digress. This helped me maintain my weight loss and continue to tone. Well, when I was pregnant with my daughter I advised my doctor that I didn't want to stop dancing and I really didn't want to gain weight because I knew at 240 and 5"6 I was overweight. He advised that I could continue dancing and that as long as I didn't purposely try to lose weight while pregnant and ate properly I should be fine. I only gained 15 lbs while I was pregnant which was all baby and water, and I subsequently lost it when she was born. Post pregnancy I actually dropped a tremendous amount of weight because I was breastfeeding. Then two months later...enter vanilla Oreos.....yes people...between that and my hiatus from salsa...things have gone downhill quickly.

Fast forward to the beginning of lent season 2015. I had been really feeling bad about my body and I was tired all the time and just knew things had to change. My husband and I had both gained weight and we weren't dancing which was a big part of our existence. We talked and agreed to both give up items for Lent. I gave up sweet tea...Lord people I had issues for real! This decision was one of the best I could have ever made. First of all I was drinking 64+ ounces of sweet tea a day...yes I had a problem! The week I stopped drinking it my body was totally confused. I was hungry constantly (I wonder why...hello all those calories from sugar!!!) I was able to replace that drink with water and flavor packets. I now drink water almost constantly. I still miss sweet tea sometimes, but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have a week to go...so fast forward to last week and I had an eye opening discussion with a co-worker who is also on a weight loss journey and is participating in Lent. We both agreed we needed a back out plan...what are we planning to do post Lent. With that on my mind, I went out of town for a wedding. God was all over this I tell ya! I entered the church for the rehearsal and subsequently went to the bathroom...in there was an old timey scale...you know the ones with the weights on it. Anyway, being alone in the bathroom I truly believe that God convinced me to get on it. WOW was I shocked to see 270lbs (and to think it had probably dropped since starting Lent)!!! Honesty, it may have had more than that once I determined it was at 270 and didn't get to 300 I jumped off. I decided right then and there to make a change. I confessed to my husband I was starting when we returned home but I wanted to keep it from the rest of the family (numerous reasons why). He agreed to offer support. So there you have it, that was a week ago and I joined myfitnesspal this past Sunday.

Again, sorry it is so long, but this has allowed me to be transparent...

Replies

• KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I was down almost 200 pounds and gained a good portion back about 50 pounds and I am ready to turn this ship around and for those of us that struggle it is clear it is a lifelong journey/

You got this! I got this!
  • ktaylor1188
    ktaylor1188 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    best of luck to you! its not always easy and each of us goes through our own struggles the important thing it to remain focused and remember your reason for wanting this. you will have good days and bad days but don't let the bad ones define you or ruin your progress! :D
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll have lots of ups and downs and times when you will want to give up and throw in the towel but MFP has a really great supportive community and we are all here to cheer you on and encourage you on your journey to being more fit and healthy!
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing--you can do this. Making the decision was the hardest part, for me.
  • mdmess2013
    mdmess2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do this! With some daily exercise and calorie counting, you can change your life. Just remember to be patient and use a few tried and true techniques...

Consider buying some workout videos you can do at home. This is inexpensive and can help you avoid exercising around people at the beginning, if that helps you. I recommend Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred video. It is not a new video, but it takes only 20 minutes and includes jumping jacks and jump rope motions for the cardio portions, so its really suitable for all fitness levels. You can burn 300+ calories in less than a 1/2 hour and it's under $10 on Amazon.

An easy way to get pretty accurate calorie counts is to purchase an inexpensive heart rate monitor that will bluetooth to your cell phone. I use the Wahoo TICKR and it works great (about $60 on Amazon). If you download a free app like Digifit, it will upload your daily calorie burns to MFP automatically.

If you do this while actually measuring your food and calories, you would get a pretty solid answer for your true CICO numbers. It has worked great for me (I'm down a steady 11 lbs in my first 30 days back).

You are a former runner so if you just get started, you'll be half way there. Remind yourself of the benefits daily. Good luck and let everyone know how you are doing!!!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Deep breath.
    You can totally do this.
    Add me if you want company.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just started my second journey this week too. You know what to do, and you've made the decision to do it!
  • mom4tav
    mom4tav Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just started as well.. let's encourage each other! We can do this! :)
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    thank you for telling you story. remember, it's a journey, and many people are traveling with you on this road.