Losing Inches, Went Down In Sizes But I'm Gaining Weight

Options
I started my weight loss journey July 2013 with Insanity (Shaun T.) with a goal of being 170 pounds..I lost 80 (300 pounds to 220) pounds with Insanity..

I have continue my exercise and eating healthy regiment.. I included strength training in my regiment like 6 months ago. When I started adding my strength training, I was 220 pounds..

Yesterday, I got on a scale and it stated that I was 253.5 pounds -_-
I know I am losing inches because I went from a size 27 to size 16. The clothes I have that are size 16 are getting too big for me now..

I haven't been focusing on using the scale because I wanted to focus on being a healthier me (Emotional health,physical health,etc)..
Should I be worried that I'm gaining weight?
Fyi: I'm 5ft 10inches..

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I just want to make sure this isn't a typo.

In 6 months, you gained 33.5 lbs, but went down 11 sizes?
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Well, if that is accurate measurements, sounds like you are gaining a ton of muscle and toning up. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    When did you last weigh yourself before this?
  • Smallc10
    Options
    Also was it the same scale?
  • rifadiva
    rifadiva Posts: 27
    Options
    The last time I weighted myself it was Nov 2014..
    It wasn't the same scale at all.. The scale Inused for the last weigh in was at the doctor office..

• rifadiva
    Options

RGv2 wrote: »
    I just want to make sure this isn't a typo.

In 6 months, you gained 33.5 lbs, but went down 11 sizes?

No it's not a typo.. I went down 11 dress sizes and I'm still losing inches..
  • Smallc10
    Options
    So in my experience a lot could be due to the scale being different, especially if one isn't calibrated correctly. I would start weighing yourself more often and at the same time of day (morning before eating/drinking anything after restroom). I know my weight fluctuates up to 10lbs during the day on the same scale if I weigh myself at a different time of the day. If you are eating at a deficit I find it incredibly difficult to believe that you would have put on muscle mass like that. Maybe you had salty food last night and have water retention today in addition??? However measurements are the most important thing, so if your clothing fits well that's a good sign that you're moving in the right direction. I would start taking measurements weekly in a few places and hopefully that will give you a good indication of what's going on.
  • rifadiva
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    So in my experience a lot could be due to the scale being different, especially if one isn't calibrated correctly. I would start weighing yourself more often and at the same time of day (morning before eating/drinking anything after restroom). I know my weight fluctuates up to 10lbs during the day on the same scale if I weigh myself at a different time of the day. If you are eating at a deficit I find it incredibly difficult to believe that you would have put on muscle mass like that. Maybe you had salty food last night and have water retention today in addition??? However measurements are the most important thing, so if your clothing fits well that's a good sign that you're moving in the right direction. I would start taking measurements weekly in a few places and hopefully that will give you a good indication of what's going on.

Before I weighed myself, I did have something salty for lunch.. Also, I drink 12-15 cups of water everyday..
    Thank you.. I will use your advice and starting taking more measurements.. I have been cecking my measurments every time I bought new clothes..

I do eat between 1500-1700 calories a day and burn between 700-1000 calories depending on what exercise I am doing..
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I would definitely blame the scale. Do you have a weigh and win account? You can go and use any of their scales for free.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I am having the same experience at a much lower poundage change and size change level. Since November 2014, I gained 3 lb. I gained 1/2 inch in each arm and in the butt. Pants are getting looser, esp in the middle and somewhat in the legs. (still wearing an 8 tho) I still eat at what I believe to be a deficit. A small one, since I am short and oldish and maintenance for me is only 1440 calories! I am keeping an eye on the scale and the measurements, under the assumption that small changes over time will happen and that if my pants are getting looser and not tighter I must not be adding fat.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You are building muscle which weighs more per a certain volume than fat. Between that and some scale discrepancies, the gain is explainable.
  • Reflextion
    Reflextion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself after using the bathroom and what not in the morning with minimal amounts of clothing
  • stacylou64
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Period. 16 ounces. Geez.....that comment wears me out every single time I hear it. The difference is the composition/density of the fat. Is your one pound a throw pillow or a bar of soap? You can gain while converting fat to muscle, thus changing the density of your fat. Using the same scale at the same time of day is critical.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Belle8312 wrote: »
    Well, if that is accurate measurements, sounds like you are gaining a ton of muscle and toning up. Muscle weighs more than fat.

NO. She has not gained 33 lbs of muscles in 6 months on a calorie deficit.
  • RGv2
    Options

NO. She has not gained 33 lbs of muscles in 6 months on a calorie deficit.

^^^This. We're talking a 33lb swing in 6 months. I'm not sure if "da juice" could even make that possible......for a guy.
  • rifadiva
    Options
    I would definitely blame the scale. Do you have a weigh and win account? You can go and use any of their scales for free.

No, I do not have an account with weigh and win? It sound interesting; what is it about?
  • rifadiva
    Options
    stacylou64 wrote: »
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Period. 16 ounces. Geez.....that comment wears me out every single time I hear it. The difference is the composition/density of the fat. Is your one pound a throw pillow or a bar of soap? You can gain while converting fat to muscle, thus changing the density of your fat. Using the same scale at the same time of day is critical.

I didn't know you could gain weight while converting fat to muscle.. Thank you for the information..
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options

No, it weighs the same. It takes up less volume. And women don't gain muscle that quick, especially with a caloric deficit. Average is around .25 lbs of muscle gain per week and that's under perfect conditions.
  • RGv2
    Options
    rifadiva wrote: »
    stacylou64 wrote: »

I didn't know you could gain weight while converting fat to muscle.. Thank you for the information..

In your situation, you shouldn't gain weight. Adding muscle while losing fat at the same time is an extremely, painstakingly slow process. You're not going to jump 30lbs via muscle weight in 6 months while getting smaller. Hell, it's almost impossible to jump 30 lbs in muscle while in a bulk.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would weigh myself in the morning if I were you. I would also start to weigh more consistently on the same scale as a better means of tracking weight loss.

Also as a fyi water is really heavy. A gallon of water is 8.34lbs. Obviously it's unlikely to have a full gallon in your stomach at one time, but I mention this to show how food and water retention can mask weight loss.