Next dumbbell weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the adjustable dumbbell set if you are limited for space. They are not as bulky as having plates everywhere. And you should be increasing weight as you go and it gets easier for you. That will happen fast with 12-15 lbs, especially with deadlifts and squats.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Money that is well spent on good workout equipment, like dumbbells and barbells and plates, is money spent well. Second rate tools give you second rate results.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    go for 15.....you are stronger than you think you are :smile:
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Oh wow I didn't even think of Goodwill. There is a Play It Again Sports around here so that's probably the first place I'll look.

I actually didn't realize how expensive the regular dumbbells get as you move up. I got the ones I have now at Marshall's and they were right cheap, but I see now I'm looking at $25 *per dumbbell* at least. So it looks like my best bet is to just start combing the secondhand market for an adjustable set. Or wait until I pay off my football tickets and start saving up again...

Thanks for the great discussion.

I was in a similar position and bought 12s. I got them at Walmart and they were about a dollar a pound so $24 for the pair. You can also buy some 3's and hold them with your 10's. It's a little harder on the hands but it's cheaper til you can afford the heavier ones.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I love my Bowflex SelectTech.
    yes, they are expensive, but they are the best investment I made.

http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B00O89FXF6

51nnMxox1bL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

I own those too. Great investment. If you can get them second hand even better. No messing around changing plates (just turn a dial) and saves loads of space in my home gym.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I say sell the light ones... and look for second hand in the weight you want... BUT definitely jump by 5 lb increments.. alternatively you can keep the weights you have and increase power by attaching a rubber band to the dumb bells this is truly an evil technique because as you stretch the band the resistance increases... BUT you will love the results
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B00O89FXF6

I own those too. Great investment. If you can get them second hand even better. No messing around changing plates (just turn a dial) and saves loads of space in my home gym.

I like those because they're still shaped like the dumbbells I'm used to. The powerblock ones seem awkward to handle, at least in the pictures (and on FitnessBlender).
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    How about a set or two of these and you could mix and match.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-Pound-Vinyl-Dumbbell-Set/21672513
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Actually I did look at these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-SpaceSaver-25-lb-Single-Dumbbell/21695182

I feel like 25 lbs is a ways off for me and then I could trade it in for a nicer one...but I do worry about the quality of the product with the little moving parts and all.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Actually I did look at these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-SpaceSaver-25-lb-Single-Dumbbell/21695182

I feel like 25 lbs is a ways off for me and then I could trade it in for a nicer one...but I do worry about the quality of the product with the little moving parts and all.

Yeah, just clicked on the link, My Bowflex are exactly the same but go up to 90lbs (per weight) in 5Lbs increments. I love them for curls, dumbbell bench/flys etc. Stupidly expensive to buy brand new, but a real luxury if you see yourself wanting to lift long term. I would recommend them to anybody.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I like those because they're still shaped like the dumbbells I'm used to. The powerblock ones seem awkward to handle, at least in the pictures (and on FitnessBlender).
    I've tried both and to me the power blocks fell better. The bow flex seemed too wide. Both are great durable products that will outlast you. Personal preference as to type.
  • slideaway1
    Options

Sorry, I quoted the wrong person above.
    Yeah, just clicked on the link, My Bowflex are exactly the same but go up to 90lbs (per weight) in 5Lbs increments. I love them for curls, dumbbell bench/flys etc. Stupidly expensive to buy brand new, but a real luxury if you see yourself wanting to lift long term. I would recommend them to anybody.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Well looking at secondhand ones maybe I won't have a choice anyway.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/sgd/4939109440.html

Looks like a store worth checking out in addition to Play It Again
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We have a set of power blocks and I kind of hate them, tbh. If I were to do it over again, I'd get 5s, 10s, 15s, 17.5s (they exist and are great when you're starting out), 20s, and 25s. Beyond that I'd rather work with a bar than DBs.

Also, you can probably find a reasonably heavy kettlebell for cheap secondhand if you ever feel like switching things up a little bit.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I've tried both and to me the power blocks fell better. The bow flex seemed too wide. Both are great durable products that will outlast you. Personal preference as to type.

Yeah, the Bowflex are quite wide and hit against your hips etc when doing curls. They should tweak the design a bit. They look really cool in my gym though and I've had them about four years and they work as good as new. Just to confirm though, I don't work for Bowflex! I just wish everyone could use them.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    Thanks for looking, @lishie_rebooted :) What I would love to see is that Bowflex set in full working order for $200! Or less lol...
    kozinskey wrote: »
    We have a set of power blocks and I kind of hate them, tbh. If I were to do it over again, I'd get 5s, 10s, 15s, 17.5s (they exist and are great when you're starting out), 20s, and 25s. Beyond that I'd rather work with a bar than DBs.

Also, you can probably find a reasonably heavy kettlebell for cheap secondhand if you ever feel like switching things up a little bit.

How do you decide what weight to start with for kettlebells? I have been doing a few kettlebell workouts with dumbbells and it's a miracle my TV is still intact.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How do you decide what weight to start with for kettlebells? I have been doing a few kettlebell workouts with dumbbells and it's a miracle my TV is still intact.

Lol I bet!! I would probably say quit doing that. I'm certainly no KB expert but I think my box doesn't go any lower than 15? We have a bunch of 18s, 26s and 35s and those are all "light" weights. I've used the 26 since I started and I'm just starting to feel like 35 is an option. At the weights you're using I'd probably say look for something that's 15-18 lbs.

I bet there are people who know more than me // good articles online to read though....