Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    herrspoons wrote: »
    So, just to be clear, you need to cook it and then chill it for 12 hours before then reheating it again? A practice that isn't recommended because of the possibility of bacterial contamination.

And for this you get a 50%... oh wait, hang on: they've only shown a 10-12% reduction, which may or may not be significant, in a cup of rice which is... err... about 200 calories.

So you save 20 calories at the risk of botulism. Awesome.

I mean, WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K?

Botulism?
    So you never eat leftovers? Oh, and you never eat out.
    Or, at CHIPOTLE.

hyperbole much?

10-12% or up to 50% according to the article, and up to 60% according to time magazine.
    http://time.com/3754097/rice-calories-starch/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    jkwolly wrote: »
    So, just to be clear, you need to cook it and then chill it for 12 hours before then reheating it again? A practice that isn't recommended because of the possibility of bacterial contamination.

So you save 20 calories at the risk of botulism.
    I cook a huge pot, keep it in the fridge for a week
    Reheat as I want

No dead here.

my husband is japanese and reheats rice all the time. still alive, too! LOL

but the logic in the calorie reduction is some kind of bizarre......... :/

I assume it's because of the increase in resistant starches (which means you digest less of it, basically).

But yes. Asian husband here. We reheat rices all the time.
    Oh, and we soak them overnight often too. Not much difference in time....

for "as much as a 50 percent" decrease in calories? If it works, sure.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

And for this you get a 50%... oh wait, hang on: they've only shown a 10-12% reduction, which may or may not be significant, in a cup of rice which is... err... about 200 calories.

Botulism?
    Or, at CHIPOTLE.

hyperbole much?

AIDS and cancer. Don't say I didn't warn you.

indeed
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Botulism?
    Or, at CHIPOTLE.

hyperbole much?

AIDS and cancer. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Don't forget the crystal meth addiction. We eat reheated rice nearly daily... that must explain our symptoms
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

_John_ wrote: »

I think the calorie difference is from the work done preparing it...

I'll press my luck with that bubbled out can on my shelf

Press_Your_Luck_board.jpg

No Whammys!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Josalinn wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    A cup of cooked rice has a whopping 200 calories. That means if you if eat a cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll have consumed 600 calories. And this is a huge problem? For comparison, a single cinnabon has 880 calories.
    Ahh... so clearly rice is the problem with the western diet. Right.
    Vailara wrote: »
    It would be simpler to just eat a bit less rice.
    BFDeal wrote: »
    dramatically cuts the calories
    Rice is like 200 calories a serving right? So 20 calories less? Call me when these so called scientists halve them at least. Lame.

Just to point out, this study is going on in Sri Lanka and the focus of the study is for countries that eat rice a lot more than westerners do. To say "just eat less rice" is probably a difficult concept for them because rice is such an integral part of their culture.

Humans have eaten rice for ages without getting fat as a result. The contemporary approach to "hack" it so we can continue to eat unlimited amounts but not absorb the calories seems to me kind of a perverted approach--not all that different than creating fat free potato chips.

On the whole, I think the answer is to eat a reasonable amount of the foods you choose to eat based on your activity level (presumably one issue here is that people in rice-based cultures are less active than they used to be and probably eating a lot more other stuff than they used to, not that rice is a problem). And eat things that are nutritious within your overall diet. Some things that are nutritious also happen to be low cal or foods that we don't assess all the calories from (higher in fiber or whatnot, veggies are a good example), and if cooking rice a way you like it happens to make it a little lower in calories, that's a bonus, but I'm not going out of my way to try to doctor my food to make the calories in it unavailable to me so I can eat bigger quantities. I'm just going to eat quantities that make sense given my calorie needs.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    For the record, I recently got a new (and much better) rice cooker and made a bunch of rice ahead for lunches, so have been having reheated rice almost every lunch this week. So far I seem to be healthy! (I'm logging the full calories in the rice, though, and certainly not increasing my serving size--if it's in reality a bit less, I won't complain. But I'm not going out of my way to cool and reheat or cooking it in fat to start with or whatever.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For the record, I recently got a new (and much better) rice cooker and made a bunch of rice ahead for lunches, so have been having reheated rice almost every lunch this week. So far I seem to be healthy! (I'm logging the full calories in the rice, though--if it's a bit less, I won't complain. But I'm not going out of my way to cool and reheat or cooking it in fat to start with or whatever.)

We have a fabulous rice cooker as well. Some days, the rice even sits in the cooker all day. And I don't seem to be dying either.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Botulism? Isn't that a low oxygen bacteria that can be easily killed off with proper;y reheating?

Yes, you can kill C. botulinum easily with heat.

Wouldn't matter once it's already grown enough in the food. Like with Staph aureus, the toxins the C. botulinum produce as they grow are what make you sick, not the actual bacteria. The toxins survive cooking, freezing, etc very well.

But, it wouldn't matter in this case - botulinum isn't an issue in an aerobic environment. It's only an issue in anaerobic environments like canned goods. Now Staph on the other hand ...
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2015
    I mostly eat brown rice and quinoa, and it's the most enjoyable and nutritious part of my diet. I would be willing to try this process, not because I want to cut the rice calories, but because adding some coconut oil to my rice sounds absolutely delicious! It sounds similar to how rice is mostly eaten in Jamaica- we put coconut milk in our rice and peas and it is my favorite thing to eat, possible ever (cheat: when made by my Aunties).
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    @lemurcat12‌

off topic, but my god your cat is adorable!

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Finally! Something that will help end world hunger by...

...wait, what? *Reducing* calories from a staple food???

:indifferent:

Oh.

Never mind then.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Too much work.

Pour rice into rice cooker, add water, wait for the little lever thing to pop up indicating it's done. End of story.

The only thing I'm going to do to my rice to fancy it up is add soy sauce or make fried rice.

I never refrigerate my rice though, cause I just don't think it tastes as good reheated.

I'm lazy.
  • lemurcat12
    @lemurcat12‌

off topic, but my god your cat is adorable!

Thanks!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    jkwolly wrote: »

So you save 20 calories at the risk of botulism.
    I cook a huge pot, keep it in the fridge for a week
    Reheat as I want

No dead here.

Yeah, I've done this for decades. And always for fried rice. Cold cooked rice fries up much better than warm.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    A cup of cooked rice has a whopping 200 calories. That means if you if eat a cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll have consumed 600 calories. And this is a huge problem? For comparison, a single cinnabon has 880 calories.
    Rice is like 200 calories a serving right? So 20 calories less? Call me when these so called scientists halve them at least. Lame.

Just to point out, this study is going on in Sri Lanka and the focus of the study is for countries that eat rice a lot more than westerners do. To say "just eat less rice" is probably a difficult concept for them because rice is such an integral part of their culture.

Humans have eaten rice for ages without getting fat as a result. The contemporary approach to "hack" it so we can continue to eat unlimited amounts but not absorb the calories seems to me kind of a perverted approach--not all that different than creating fat free potato chips.

On the whole, I think the answer is to eat a reasonable amount of the foods you choose to eat based on your activity level (presumably one issue here is that people in rice-based cultures are less active than they used to be and probably eating a lot more other stuff than they used to, not that rice is a problem). And eat things that are nutritious within your overall diet. Some things that are nutritious also happen to be low cal or foods that we don't assess all the calories from (higher in fiber or whatnot, veggies are a good example), and if cooking rice a way you like it happens to make it a little lower in calories, that's a bonus, but I'm not going out of my way to try to doctor my food to make the calories in it unavailable to me so I can eat bigger quantities. I'm just going to eat quantities that make sense given my calorie needs.

Cosigned.

I honestly think that a significant segment of Joe Public will take this information as a sign that it's okay to eat more rice, and the attempt to use this as a way to "combat the obesity epidemic" will backfire.

As I've said before see:diet soda.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Great news! I will henceforth cook everything in coconut oil for its magical calorie-reducing powers. I am looking forward to eating a whole pound of bacon every day with no consequences :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    You guys are totally missing the best way to use up leftover rice...

Arancini. Fried rice balls stuffed with cheese and other delights, dipped in marinara.

ARANCINI-2-SMALL.jpg

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

Cosigned.

I honestly think that a significant segment of Joe Public will take this information as a sign that it's okay to eat more rice, and the attempt to use this as a way to "combat the obesity epidemic" will backfire.

As I've said before see:diet soda.

Agreed. What is said and what will be heard are likely two completely different things.

• dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    You guys are totally missing the best way to use up leftover rice...

Arancini. Fried rice balls stuffed with cheese and other delights, dipped in marinara.

ARANCINI-2-SMALL.jpg

See, my problem is that I hardly ever have left over rice. :lol: