How to tell if I gained a pound?

Options
rhinomidget
rhinomidget Posts: 52 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know what you're thinking..."seriously, A POUND?"...and yeah, I'm a very short person (5'0), so a pound matters...a lot! :P

Anyway, my weight fluctuates a LOT. One day I could weigh in at 102lbs (3 lbs above my normal), the next day I could weigh in at 99 lbs (my normal), and then the day after that I can weigh in at 104 lbs. So, there's really no way of telling, scale-wise, if I gained weight.

However, the other night (probably 1 - 3 weeks ago) I saw a number that I've never seen before (105 lbs) - granted, it was after I drank a gigantic glass of rice milk - so I tried again the next night - one minute I was 105 lbs, the next, I was 104 lbs...what!?

So, I was just wondering if there are any other ways to tell if I gained weight? I haven't changed my diet or my workout routine, and my clothes fit like they normally do..

I apologize for my insanity.

Replies

• nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Seriously, take a step back and listen to yourself, don't you think this sounds like obsessive behaviour? I would recommend you ditch the scales for a while and use a tape measure instead.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Dont fret. With 60% of the body being water, and sort of water fluctuation can have dramatic results.
    Hell every time I take a piss I lose a pound. 1 litre of water (33 ounces) weighs about 2.2lbs. So drink 1 litre at once and you now all of a sudden weigh 2lbs more.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Honestly, a pound, even on a 5'0" person, doesn't make that much of a difference. Your weight is definitely going to fluctuate daily, but I find it best to weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I don't obsess about the number, but I look at the trend in the numbers and see if I'm maintaining.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    3lb variation is perfectly normal, that's about the amount of fluctuation I get. Others on here say they fluctuate up to 5lbs a day. And it's not uncommon for scales to give different readings when you stand on them consecutive times. Just wait a few days and see if the number stays the same.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week maximum. In the morning after you use the bathroom and before you eat and drink anything

And either learn to deal with the fact that weight is a range not an absolute number or quit being obsessive
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no. I am short too and one pound does not make a "big" difference. You're at a healthy weight with a completely normal fluctuation of about five pounds. If you can't handle that, you should probably stop weighing daily.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much.

But to answer your question, you'd know if you consistently eat above your maintenance calories, equalling approximately 3500 calories and/or you see a higher number for 4-6 weeks.

And seriously, stop weighing yourself multiple times a day, especially after eating/drinking.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lilylenz wrote: »
    I know what you're thinking..."seriously, A POUND?"...and yeah, I'm a very short person (5'0), so a pound matters...a lot! :P

Anyway, my weight fluctuates a LOT. One day I could weigh in at 102lbs (3 lbs above my normal), the next day I could weigh in at 99 lbs (my normal), and then the day after that I can weigh in at 104 lbs. So, there's really no way of telling, scale-wise, if I gained weight.

However, the other night (probably 1 - 3 weeks ago) I saw a number that I've never seen before (105 lbs) - granted, it was after I drank a gigantic glass of rice milk - so I tried again the next night - one minute I was 105 lbs, the next, I was 104 lbs...what!?

So, I was just wondering if there are any other ways to tell if I gained weight? I haven't changed my diet or my workout routine, and my clothes fit like they normally do..

Hang on. You obsess about fluctuations minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, but you have waited 1-3 weeks since seeing the highest number EVER and you are just now asking about it? What has the scale done since then?

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Hang on. You obsess about fluctuations minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, but you have waited 1-3 weeks since seeing the highest number EVER and you are just now asking about it? What has the scale done since then?

Good point....
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your best measure against fluctuations is consistency. A 16 fl oz glass of fluid is generally equivalent to an extra pound on the scale. A good pee or BM can get rid of a good amount of oz on the scale. Why weigh yourself right after having a big glass of anything, except curiousity? If you choose to weigh daily, make sure its done under the same circumstances each day. Most people stick to weighing before they eat anything that day after using the bathroom, which might be first thing in the morning for you. Differences in hormones and sodium intake from day to day will influence your weight, but the general trends over time are most informative. If you like weighing in daily you might benefit from using WeightGrapher.com - you will see the overall trend through the daily fluctuations.

For example, over the past two weeks (including TOM) I have had scale readings ranging from 205.8 to 2011.2. Throughout the spikes and valleys, my general trend indicates a ~2 lb loss over that time. Really helps put it in perspective.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    When you step on the scale, that is what you weigh. If you see a number you don't like, lose weight.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It makes no sense to weigh yourself at night. If you want a better picture of how your weight fluctuates daily, weigh yourself first thing in the morning with an empty bladder and stomach. Just think about what you eat during the day. Where do you think it's gone by evening? Plus, weighing yourself after having a big drink is just silly. Come on. You're being silly. Regardless, you'll never know if you've really gained or lost such a small amount as one pound. Never. You need to have a wider margin, say up or down five pounds from your target weight to spur some kind of corrective action. You can't do it based on one pound.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale!
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bathroom scales aren't precision instruments. They number it gives you can very +/- 1lb depending on what it feels like. I highly recommend you only weigh yourself once a week. You're going to lose your mind if you keep this up.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

It sounds like you are weighing at random times. Your weight fluctuates throughout the day and week. That is normal. You might benefit from not weighing so often... like just once a week or once a month.
    Weigh yourself once in the morning after using the toilet and before eating or drinking anything. Weigh yourself on the same scale in the same place under the same conditions.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »
    Your best measure against fluctuations is consistency. A 16 fl oz glass of fluid is generally equivalent to an extra pound on the scale. A good pee or BM can get rid of a good amount of oz on the scale. Why weigh yourself right after having a big glass of anything, except curiousity? If you choose to weigh daily, make sure its done under the same circumstances each day. Most people stick to weighing before they eat anything that day after using the bathroom, which might be first thing in the morning for you. Differences in hormones and sodium intake from day to day will influence your weight, but the general trends over time are most informative. If you like weighing in daily you might benefit from using WeightGrapher.com - you will see the overall trend through the daily fluctuations.

For example, over the past two weeks (including TOM) I have had scale readings ranging from 205.8 to 2011.2. Throughout the spikes and valleys, my general trend indicates a ~2 lb loss over that time. Really helps put it in perspective.

205.8 to 2,011.2? That's a huge fluctuation! :smiley:
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

As your bmi is at the low end of the normal range a few extra pounds could be a good thing. Have you spoken to anyone about your issues?

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »

205.8 to 2,011.2? That's a huge fluctuation! :smiley:
    For sure. My trending weight is still 206.6, which is a good example of how the fluctuations can seem a lot scarier than they really are.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    teephil wrote: »
    Bathroom scales aren't precision instruments. They number it gives you can very +/- 1lb depending on what it feels like. I highly recommend you only weigh yourself once a week. You're going to lose your mind if you keep this up.
    Where do you buy a scale with feelings? Target?