Hair Loss with calorie deficit?

Options
I am currently taking in 1700 calories a day. Now, a few years ago I was at 200lbs and when I lowered my calories to 1700, I noticed my hair started falling out ALOT. I also had zero energy and tired. I increased my calories since then to 2200-2300, and have slowly decreased my calories over the years. I am back at 1700 calories, since I am now at 150lbs.

My hair is starting to fall out again. This time, I feel full and still have tons of energy on 1700 calories. It is not coming out in chunks, but strands from the root. It is not that noticeable, but I know last time my scalp started to show more (especially if I pulled my hair back).

I am losing about .5lbs/week (I typically get a "whoosh" effect after my TOM each month, which is when the scale shows a loss of about 2 lbs, otherwise I am stalled for the rest of the month). Any idea why this keeps happening once I hit 1700 calories? Is it normal?

Replies

• kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My hair fell out a couple months after a VLCD. I don't think your hair loss is related at 1700 and without the delay. It happens after the fact (three months actually) as a result of the trauma of rapid weight loss (or high fever, serious illness, etc.)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? What about vitamin B? Do you have hypothyroidism, PCOS or anemia?
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Might be worth a blood test to check your thyroid function though.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I just went through this in November.

Did you go off, or switch birth control pills lately? That's one of the most common reasons for Telogen Effluvium (rapid hair loss from the roots).

I'd visit your doc for some bloodwork, as there are a few medical conditions that can cause this, including thyroid problems.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed this with your physician?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Are you eating 1700 and then exercising a whole bunch off, in effect then only netting 1200 or less?

Otherwise get bloodwork done. Opening up your diary could help.
  • justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Check your thyroid that's a major side effect along with weight gain and being tired and cold..
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My back hair is thick as ever.
  • racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    wish my hair would fall out....

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My hair falls out at 1200. I have lost weight rather quickly, and have upped my intake limit to 1500. My hair is not falling out so much.
  • lcbowz
    lcbowz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had that occur in the past but attribute it to not getting enough nutrients. I started taking Country Life Maxi Hair Maximized (got it through the vitamin shoppe) along with some good multi-vitamins and calcium. I'm currently losing well through the HMR Healthy Choices diet (still taking the vitamins). Hair loss is not a concern for me now.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Thyroid and other issues aside, if you're short on protein, iron, biotin, zinc, vitamin D, vitamin C--your body will derive your hair first (as opposed to vital organs). I'd see your doc about getting blood work done.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah, If i had to pick a macro - my protein is brutal most days. I recently had a drs appointment and everything came back perfectly healthy, including my thyroid. (This was about 2 months ago)