Change of diet when it gets cold?

Options
plarcade
plarcade Posts: 125 Member
Winter is coming in my part of the world.... actually, it's just getting a bit chillier and I'm a) starving all the time and b) cold. I'm eating 1600 calories a day, which might actually be a bit low for my level of activity. Do I up the calories a bit or adjust my macros? Ideas/suggestions welcome :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    plarcade wrote: »
    I'm eating 1600 calories a day, which might actually be a bit low for my level of activity. Do I up the calories a bit or adjust my macros? Ideas/suggestions welcome :)

Regardless of the weather, why are you eating an amount of calories that you think is low for your activity level?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I switch from summer vegetables to winter vegetables, roasted with a bit of olive oil or cheese on top.

I bought an electric blanket.

Tea is always nice. Warms the hands too.

I dress in layers.
  • plarcade
    Options
    I'm eating 1600 calories a day, which might actually be a bit low for my level of activity. Do I up the calories a bit or adjust my macros? Ideas/suggestions welcome :)

Regardless of the weather, why are you eating an amount of calories that you think is low for your activity level?

Because I'm an idiot? I go over fairly regularly depending on how much exercise I do (I use a HRM) and am maintaining, which is fine. I'm just really nervous of putting any weight on after having got this far and perhaps this is my mistake? Not sure. It's quite possible that I AM an idiot ;)
  • plarcade
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I switch from summer vegetables to winter vegetables, roasted with a bit of olive oil or cheese on top.

I bought an electric blanket.

Tea is always nice. Warms the hands too.

I dress in layers.
    It's 20C out and I'm wearing 2 jumpers...
    I AM hypothyroid though, so perhaps I should just expect to feel the cold more? (I am being medicated)

• jgnatca
    Options
    If you are maintaining you've found your sweet spot. You might try adding a hot chocolate to your day and see what happens.
  • plarcade
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you are maintaining you've found your sweet spot. You might try adding a hot chocolate to your day and see what happens.

:) Great, thanks. LOVE hot chocolate

• jgnatca
    Options
    I'm an office worker and this is my idea of haute couture.

grey-and-black-striped-short-emo-fingerless-gloves-6310-p.jpg

I try and keep my complaints to the facilities guys to a dull roar but they give me the gimlet eye whenever they see me walking around the office in my slouch sweater, fingerless gloves, and infinity scarf.

To top it off, in the past month I've started to get monster hot flashes. So I'm either freezing or boiling. This past week I meekly asked the facilities director to keep an eye out for a mesh chair. Pretty please.

Ergo%20Mesh%20chair.png
  • plarcade
    Options
    I've found that men feel the cold less than we do, generally. I've also just been reminded that I'm fast approaching THAT age where hormones start to mess with the temperature gauge *sigh*
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I've found that men feel the cold less than we do, generally. I've also just been reminded that I'm fast approaching THAT age where hormones start to mess with the temperature gauge *sigh*

see, my hubby is SO much more sensitive to temp changes than i am. LOL im all ' whatever' and hes all ' its 70 degrees TURN ON THE AC' .

im pretty sure hes anxiously awaiting menopause for me, cause then MAYBE hell get to turn on the ac! LOLOLOL
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Up the calories if you're eating below your needs. Plus there are some good, healthy, filling, warm options too- Vegetable soups and turkey and black bean chili are my cold weather favorites. I also roast a lot of veggies- I just can't do salad when it's cold.
  • plarcade
    Options

see, my hubby is SO much more sensitive to temp changes than i am. LOL im all ' whatever' and hes all ' its 70 degrees TURN ON THE AC' .

im pretty sure hes anxiously awaiting menopause for me, cause then MAYBE hell get to turn on the ac! LOLOLOL
    70F is just about 21C.... sweater weather for me!! I'm a lizard though; perfectly happy up to about 32C/90F
  • plarcade
    Options
    Up the calories if you're eating below your needs. Plus there are some good, healthy, filling, warm options too- Vegetable soups and turkey and black bean chili are my cold weather favorites. I also roast a lot of veggies- I just can't do salad when it's cold.
    Yep, I think I'll start roasting!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

70F is just about 21C.... sweater weather for me!! I'm a lizard though; perfectly happy up to about 32C/90F

hubbys always hot. part of it is weight and other healthy issues but yeah, i cringe when he wants the ac on and i think its perfectly lovely out and happy with the windows and doors open! LOL! yesterday i just put the fan next to him and told him to suck it up ;)

and ive found, the more weight i lose (and i still have LOTS to go) the colder i am. poor hubby is going to be really miserable once i reach my goal weight LOLOLOL
  • DaradysMom
    Options
    I would not increase calories, just go for more dense soups and hot foods.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When ever I get cold I definitely feel hungrier. Hot tea seems to help me feel warmer and not as hungry.