Does anyone use meal replacement shakes?

Options

Replies

• StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Only when it's medically required. Can't get past the smell of them.
    Omg love the adipose. Fellow whovian?

Lazy whovian. I binge watch series, and I haven't watched 8 yet. It's on the list, but I have about 4 others ahead of it that aired first.
    tumblr_nerd4rLrKh1rxlobpo2_400.gif
    :'(

(actual series 8 spoiler btw)
    Ahh why. I liked him
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've never used them for an actual diet because like everyone else has said I like food lol but I drink a slim fast shake with almond milk when I'm running late in the morning and still need to get some sort of breakfast in me. I usually pair it with an apple or banana.

My opinion on restrictive shake diets are that you will never be able to sustain that for your entire life. Make healthy changes to your diet that will last for the rest of your life and you will have long term success. Shakes seem like quick fixes to me.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to waste that many calories on a drink... It better be a beer...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Only when it's medically required. Can't get past the smell of them.
    Omg love the adipose. Fellow whovian?

Lazy whovian. I binge watch series, and I haven't watched 8 yet. It's on the list, but I have about 4 others ahead of it that aired first.
    tumblr_nerd4rLrKh1rxlobpo2_400.gif
    :'(

(actual series 8 spoiler btw)
    Ahh why. I liked him

shhhh

tumblr_mzv8aoOukH1r9im9ao7_250.gif

Made me sad though too. I really liked him. Maybe he'll somehow make an appearance S9.
  • MrsJHinson
    MrsJHinson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been using them for the past 3 weeks, I only drink them for breakfast and lunch. I mix in fresh fruit (strawberries, bananas) and add a packet of sweet and low, also I mix in the blender, tastes just like a milkshake.
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it
  • ana3067
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

You've been posting about hunger on 1200 calories - drinking your calories on a 1500 allotment probably won't keep you nearly as full as real food will, potentially leaving you feeling as hungry on 1500 as you do on 1200.
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

You've been posting about hunger on 1200 calories - drinking your calories on a 1500 allotment probably won't keep you nearly as full as real food will, potentially leaving you feeling as hungry on 1500 as you do on 1200.

Do you really think so? Why?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

Listen dude. Try it. Just try it. And then what's your plan have you reach your weigh goal? Drink shakes for the rest of your life?

It's all about taking in less calories than you burn so why would you want to drink those? Does it make any sense whatsoever?
  • ana3067
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

Liquid calories do not tend to be nearly as satiating (filling) as solids. Also plenty of people here have said that shakes made them hungrier. Drinking protein powder/shakes makes me hungrier, so I don't really do it (although blends might be fine for satiety if doing it right before/after a workout, but it's not long-lasting and it's only 130 calories so of course it's not going to last long).
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna try it

Listen dude. Try it. Just try it. And then what's your plan have you reach your weigh goal? Drink shakes for the rest of your life?

It's all about taking in less calories than you burn so why would you want to drink those? Does it make any sense whatsoever?

I have trouble feeling full and have too many choices at work to binge eat on that are bad. I was thinking of doing this so I won't give in at work. That being said, I only just changed my weight loss goal this evening which allows more calories. I'm scraping at everything here to see what works for me because I'm at a personal loss.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

I have trouble feeling full and have too many choices at work to binge eat on that are bad.

This is what you need to fix. Like I said, what are you going to do when you stop drinking shakes?
  • StarlightAria
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

I have trouble feeling full and have too many choices at work to binge eat on that are bad.

This is what you need to fix. Like I said, what are you going to do when you stop drinking shakes?

It's just until I get used to eating less. I will transition to actual foods.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

If I only had a dollar....

Why not transition to eating 'actual' foods now but just at a reduced rate? It's sustainable.

Like I said dude....do the shakes. You will may lose weight (doubt it) but you will be right back where you are now in no time.
  • StarlightAria
    Options
    Think I'm gonna try it

If I only had a dollar....

Why not transition to eating 'actual' foods now but just at a reduced rate? It's sustainable.

Like I said dude....do the shakes. You will may lose weight (doubt it) but you will be right back where you are now in no time.

Because for the caloric intake per shake you will not get as full if you eat something for the same calories? It won't keep you full as long? Obvs I know nothing about food, it's how I ended up here.
  • xl_audrey
    xl_audrey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    when i tried them i had to drink 2-3 of them to feel full so .....no they stink

word.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I do the GNC lean 25 protein shake with a banana, almond milk, water and ice for breakfast, I just can't stomach food in the morning but need to eat to up my glucose levels (I'm hypoglycemic).
  • Magenta529
    Magenta529 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I tried Isagenix for a while. They tasted really good and I liked all of the vitamins that I was able to get from them. Like many said, I did not find them satisfying for a meal, but a good snack or maybe for breakfast. But I prefer a zone bar for breakfast, the chewing is nice! Another reason I have found shakes helpful is that it's tough to mess up, you just drink the shake and you don't have to worry about making the right food choices. So if I'm particularly stressed and prone to stress eating eliminating that possibility by just having a shake can be nice. Also if I need a jumpstart or reset and need to get back on track shakes can help with that. I did learn there was no way I could eat two shakes a day for the rest of my life. That would be an impossible, depressing reality.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am a Shakeology fan. I drink them for breakfast because i rarely give myself enough time to make and eat a decent breakfast. i get a lot of vitamins and nutrients from them and they help curb my snack cravings throughout the day. as for keeping me full, they usually keep me satisfied for about 2-3 hours and since i tend to eat every 2-3 hours anyway it works for me. Cost wise they are on the higher end so they aren't for everyone but Ive been drinking them for a year and I still love them