Appointment with dietitian

Options
I have been trying to eat better and exercise for about two years. I joined a small gym which runs strength and conditioning classes and I go three times a week. The classes last for about an hour, sometimes longer if it is more difficult. I have tracked several times and lost a little weight, but nothing significant. After I blew out my acl and had surgery, I decided once I was back at it to track everything and really stick to a 1500 calorie diet with a cheat meal ever other week. Doing this, I only lost two pounds in the time period from the middle of January to the middle of March. After talking to my trainer, I decided to see a dietitian when itcwas suggested I cut out dairy because that might help me loose weight. The dietitian looked over a few days in my whole diary I printed and just told me I needed to eat less and exercise more. She suggested 1200 calories without a second thought. In the last two weeks, I lost about 5 lbs in a few days ( water weight) and one other pound. Does this seem right? I am 5'4" and 161lbs. I am not totally sedentary at my job. I do have to stand a lot as I work in a lab.
In short, I am starving. I want to eat my arm. I feel like she just sent me packing without any real justification as to why she thinks 1200 calories is a good idea.

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    That sounds hinky to me. A few years back I decided to see a nutritionist, so I could lose some weight before my reunion. Her focus was entirely on building a system that worked for my lifestyle that was sustainable in the longterm, not tracking calories. I told her about my lifestyle and my goals and she gave me really clear guidelines- two servings of carbs a day, no berries or hummus or snacks that are easy to overeat, focus on the right kinds of carbs, and one cheat meal a week, etc. I lost a ton of weight and was really happy with her.

It sounds like you are really unhappy with yours, and for good reason. 1200 calories is WAY too low IMO, and she isn't building anything sustainable with you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I learned in my chronic conditions class that the medical experts are our partners in health care, not the bosses. It's not like emergency care or finishing a round of antibiotics. In emergency care follow instructions to the letter. But if you are managing a chronic issue that takes months to resolve, you can modify the instructions midstream. Arm chewing us a sign that the target is too low. Add a hundred calories a day, check in a week and if you need to adjust again, do it. You are the one living with your body every day.
  • DaradysMom
    Options
    First, find a new nutritionist. Second, fill your lunch box with baggies of grapes, single serve baggies of nuts, bananas and oranges or clementines, in addition to your regular lunch. You will not stick with something that causes you misery, even if you lose a few pounds. These easy snacks will get you through to the next meal without breaking your diet.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if you already are or not, but you need to weigh your food.

You can help control your hunger by making smart food decisions. Pick items that are lower calorie per gram. For example, you can eat 125g of cottage cheese for around 100 calories, or 9 to 10 peanut m&m's.

Or 290 g of strawberries for the same 100 calories, or 60g of avocado.

Explore the nutrition database here and check out the foods you might like to eat, and see what gives you the biggest food bang for your calorie buck.

Everything in moderation as long as you manage your hunger, and are getting enough protein etc. within your calories for the day.
  • girlchemist1
    girlchemist1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do weigh the calorie dense foods like dressing, honey, meat, cottage cheese, etc. I also weigh fruit some of the time. But in reality, I only eat fruit once a day if I eat it.

I just feel like there should have been more discussion about why the calorie level she chose was appropriate other than her own testament that at about 5'8" and 50 years old, that is what she had to do to lose. There is no way I will be able to maintain this for the 6 more weeks until I am scheduled to go back and see her. When I was eating 1500 cals a day, I didn't feel like this but I wasn't loosing either, I measurements or weight.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do weigh the calorie dense foods like dressing, honey, meat, cottage cheese, etc. I also weigh fruit some of the time. But in reality, I only eat fruit once a day if I eat it.

I just feel like there should have been more discussion about why the calorie level she chose was appropriate other than her own testament that at about 5'8" and 50 years old, that is what she had to do to lose. There is no way I will be able to maintain this for the 6 more weeks until I am scheduled to go back and see her. When I was eating 1500 cals a day, I didn't feel like this but I wasn't loosing either, I measurements or weight.

You gave her your diary info that showed 1500 a day and told her you aren't losing weight. I'm not sure why you think reducing your calories was a quick, uninformed suggestion. ? You didn't lose at a higher number. Maybe I read something wrong. Reducing a few hundred calories doesn't seem extreme.

Weigh everything. Everything. You might be eating a lot more than you think you are and maybe with proper weighing and calorie count, you could eat at a little higher calorie number to lose. Calories can add up in even the veggies and before you know it, a small calorie deficit is blown and you are actually eating at maintenance level.

How many calories for your cheat meal? It's very easy to go wayyyyyy overboard and completely wipe out a week or two worth of calorie deficit.

• Freedom1890
    Freedom1890 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The larger you are, the more energy your body uses when moving and so it needs more. If you're burning a lot through a lot of exercise, you could do with increasing how much you're eating or you won't have the energy to do it. I am quite overweight, by which I mean I'm currently 203lbs and 5ft6. I started a month ago at 210lbs and, in order to lose 1lb a week, MFP had me on 1,910cals per day. Since losing 7lbs, it's down to 1,860 because there is less of me to move. 20mins on the exercise bike burnt 220cals a month ago, now it burns 215. What I'm trying to say is that maybe you should be eating more?