Runners what are your biggest threats when running outside?

Options
When I lived in Santa Fe I had the threat of all kinds of loose dogs (pit bulls, rotts, etc), and random gang members wandering around. Though I was prepared to deal with an encounter, it never happened. It was like they looked at me and continued on with business even though assaults are common. Once I moved, I still worked in Santa Fe so I would run from the train to work and back to the train through another section of town with high crime. Same thing as before with not once any encounters.
Now I run through the bosque which is like a woody area by the river with very little risk of human attacks but tons of wildlife. I take my dog most times which is a small spaniel. There are raccoon, bobcats, skunks, beavers, and coyotes. The slight danger makes the run all the more exciting. Having done this for so long, I don't ever want to run in an area with low risk from any kind of attack like watching a movie with a boring ending.
Those of you who run outside, what are your threats and potential attacks, have you had these encounters and how to you deal with or have dealt with these things?

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am scared of gators, panthers and bears. The gators are ubiquitous so I don't run before dawn or at night anymore --because it is much harder to avoid them then.
  • katie5524
    katie5524 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Curbs or dips in the side walk hence why I got a tred mill I have really weak ankles and tendinitis in both
  • aoven
    aoven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I run through a woody area where there is always a small chance of encountering a brown bear. They roam around this time of year. It adds a little thrill to the whole workout, sure. So far, no encounters for me, though. I hope it stays that way.

One part of my route takes me through a village where each house keeps a dog or two (because of the bear threat, mostly). They are not always tied and so usually at least one of them barges toward me as I run past. I guess I always seem to surprise them when I suddenly appear out of nowhere and they feel they need to fend me off or something. To be honest, I dislike this part much more than the bear threat. But I try to keep my calm and just push through that mile. No bites so far.
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had a skunk cross my path once. Scared the livin' daylights out of me, but he wasn't interested in me, just in getting back home before dawn. Surprised me because I didn't smell him coming.

I also had a pit bull herd me once. He was walking off lead with his owners and I trotted past. Apparently I should not have been doing that because he caught up with me and pushed against my leg until I slowed to a walk. Happily, I am not afraid of most dogs, so I just laughed and went on when they called him back.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Speaking of skunks, I live right near a path along the Sacramento River. It is in the city, but it is a nature park. Hundreds of skunks live down there by the river -- and I am not exaggerating when I say 'hundreds.' You do not see them during the day, but you just don't go down there after dark. Whole families of raccoons too.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    troytroy11 wrote: »
    When I lived in Santa Fe I had the threat of all kinds of loose dogs (pit bulls, rotts, etc)

A specific breed of dog is not a threat just based on that! A dog is not automatically vicious, some are trained that way! Please do not judge a dog based on its breed.

Anywho, back to the topic at hand...though I live in a city, I really do not feel like I could encounter much. I get the occasional idiot driving by who either yells something at me or beeps, and that makes me uneasy. But for the most part I feel pretty safe. Some of the sidewalks & streets could use some work but I try to pay close attention to the ground so that I don't trip and fall. I'm thinking of training my dogs to be good on a leash so that I can bring one of them with me when I'm out. Since one is a Boxer/Pit mix, and you've already illustrated your stereotype of them, I'm sure no one will mess around if I've got her with me!

• Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I live in an area where bears and cougars are the thing to watch out for. I'll avoid an area where either have been spotted if I'm alone, but in a group setting, the noise we make is a good deterrent. Dogs can be a hassle too; I had a couple of Doberman pinchers chase after me during a Half Marathon...scared the bejeezes out of me!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Well apparently mountain lions! We found a mauled dear carcass at the top of our driveway yesterday. When public works came and got it they said it was a mountain lion and that they're moving into the area. Guess that's what happened to the cat :#
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've seen bears (a mama and three cubs) while running, but they - thankfully - didn't see me. Loose dogs, too, but they don't really worry me. I just slow to a walk until I'm far enough away that they don't think I'm something fun to chase. Although there is one little apricot toy poodle that the owner walks on a 16 foot retractable leash (all the way out, of course) that I wouldn't trust as far as I could kick her. I cross the road to avoid her.

My biggest concern is distracted drivers.

And snakes. I've never seen any venomous snakes, but I know there are some around here.
  • hdonaldsonm
    hdonaldsonm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I live in the city and jog along a busy park trail so it's not so bad. Though I'm terrified of bears. Already got bit once, that's enough for me. Thankfully they don't come into the city too often.
    The city deer are also jerks. Moose don't come around too often either.
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Them Dogs
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    lmr0528 wrote: »
    When I lived in Santa Fe I had the threat of all kinds of loose dogs (pit bulls, rotts, etc)

A specific breed of dog is not a threat just based on that! A dog is not automatically vicious, some are trained that way! Please do not judge a dog based on its breed.

You are absolutely right about the judging of breeds, I did not mean to come across as stereotyping. I really should have thought that through more before posting. I have had chows and boxers myself for protection reasons. My point was that a breed with certain areas being more developed is likely to be a harder breed to defend oneself against, especially in packs. That is not to say that smaller dogs cannot cause damage and they will and have.
    So future posters/readers please view as any breed of dog not just pits or rotts, and I would imagine the particular defense changes with breed to have the least harm possible on both ends.
    IMR0528 I hope that did not cause your blood pressure to go up too much or stress and anger in your life. Thank you for your response.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My runs sound so boring now! The biggest dangers are drivers and cyclists, both groups seem oblivious to the fact that the bends in the road are really blind!
  • troytroy11
    Options
    I've seen bears (a mama and three cubs) while running, but they - thankfully - didn't see me. Loose dogs, too, but they don't really worry me. I just slow to a walk until I'm far enough away that they don't think I'm something fun to chase. Although there is one little apricot toy poodle that the owner walks on a 16 foot retractable leash (all the way out, of course) that I wouldn't trust as far as I could kick her. I cross the road to avoid her.

And snakes. I've never seen any venomous snakes, but I know there are some around here.

Running on ice in DC was a little freaky with distracted drives but I enjoyed the challenge. People around here have been hit by the train running on the tracks with headphones on. Distracted runners. The toy poodle can take a chunk out of your calf.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Where I used to live in Iowa, the only real threat was dogs because I ran through mostly city/suburb neighborhoods. Luckily though, any dog that ever ran up to me just wanted to a playmate, not a snack. There were also some very testy red-wing blackbirds on the running trail that would dive-bomb you if you weren't lucky.

Now in NJ where I live, sometimes I run on country roads and there are animals that I worry about a little (I was on a 20 miler once and realized that I had NO idea what kind of animals live in NJ and became very afraid I would be eaten by some animal that we don't have in Iowa), but I'm more worried about cars that aren't expecting me to be running along the shoulder.

My biggest concern (irrational as it may be) are geese. They're everywhere, they're ornery as all get out (especially around baby-goose-production time!), and they poop everywhere that I want to run. A friend of mine got bit by a goose once, and now that's my biggest fear when I'm out on the run.
  • troytroy11
    Options
    I live in the city and jog along a busy park trail so it's not so bad. Though I'm terrified of bears. Already got bit once, that's enough for me. Thankfully they don't come into the city too often.

You were bit by a bear?
  • kristinegift
    Options

THIS. Texting and driving terrifies me as a driver, a pedestrian and a runner.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Do you run with traffic our against it?
    I never know what to do.... I usually do against it just b.c I like to see what is coming and there really is not a lot of traffic so they can drive in the other lane. (country roads)
  • kristinegift
    Options
    clnrush wrote: »
    Do you run with traffic our against it?
    I never know what to do.... I usually do against it just b.c I like to see what is coming and there really is not a lot of traffic so they can drive in the other lane. (country roads)

You're supposed to run against traffic. Sometimes I have to run with traffic on one-way roads, and I hate it. From experience, I find people give me more clearance when they can see my face, so I try to run against traffic whenever possible.
  • hdonaldsonm
    hdonaldsonm Posts: 22 Member
    Options

You were bit by a bear?

Not while running, but yes.