Nuts are they ok to eat and lose weight

Options
Hi all I have just started and everyone keeps saying eat nuts but when I look at the heathy nuts that are very high and take up a lot of my intake allowance am I looking at this all wrong

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great. I like Walnuts because of the Omega 3s and Almonds because they have a good protein/carb ration.
    Use a scale to weigh them. The have calories of course.
  • ready4holiday
    Options
    I understand but they seem very high in calories but not very filling
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In moderation, sure.

They are relatively high in calories for the little bulk you get, but if you can fit them into your day they're a great source of healthy fats and a little bit of protein.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    They are nutritionally dense--high in calories and nutrients. I think they're filling. Love them. Maybe too much. Easy to eat too many so I, too, use the scale to weigh them.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

If you don't want them then don't eat them. If you do want them then just make sure they fit in your calorie/nutrition goals. It really is that simple.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    You do not have to eat nuts. There is no rule. I eat them because I eat very little meat and I get my protein mostly from beans and nuts.
  • confusedtracey
    confusedtracey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find them good when i have the munches lol but i mix my own x
  • ready4holiday
    Options
    I want healthy filling food any one know of a low count chip shop ha ha.
    I understand what your saying and thanks but people are telling me I am not eating enough and missing loads from my diet. Take today I had one sandwich and one bowl of cereal not good and not filling
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    They are great in moderation.
  • DaradysMom
    Options
    Eat them along with grapes, which are very filling. They get mixed with raisins a lot, but grapes are better for feeling full.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I understand what your saying and thanks but people are telling me I am not eating enough and missing loads from my diet. Take today I had one sandwich and one bowl of cereal not good and not filling

What was on the sandwich? If one is not enough, eat 5 and add cheese and mayonnaise.
    Maybe it would be good for you to research lowish calorie options for you with easy take out food that you are used to. (Skip the fried potatoes).
  • visnova
    visnova Posts: 11
    Options

try eating them with something in your mouth at the same time....sounds strange,but what i do is either cutt up an apple into smaller pieces and jam 2 almonds in my mouth with a piece of apple and it fills you up alot more.....i do the same with bananna and almonds....and of course always raw almonds:)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like them for texture and to add some fat to my diet. I buy slivered almonds and eat them in small amounts stirred into servings of yogurt and cottage cheese. It's easy to keep the portion size small when you eat them that way. I always weigh them. I eat about 15 grams of them a day.

I wish I could eat walnuts (they make my mouth itch) for the essential fats. I'd add them to my lentil loaf.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I like Nuts too, but to me they aren't very filling - so i normally have a small handful (weighed) with a small Apple.
  • coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Eat things other than bread (sandwhich) and cereal. How many calories are you trying to stick to?
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    Nuts are really good for you and are a super-food when you are trying to lose weight! They contain high amounts of protein so they help you stay full longer and build muscle, plus they are high in the good kind of fats your brain and body really need! They are on the high side calorie wise, which is why you should just aim to include them once or twice a day. I always measure or weigh out just one portion, which usually averages about 160-170 calories depending on which kind of nut you are eating. I go for the raw, unsalted kind of nut to make sure I am not getting tons of added sodium and am getting the most nutritional benefits from them! A great post workout snack is 2 Tbsp. of raw,unsalted almonds mixed into one serving of greek yogurt! A lot of protein to help your body recover from the workout and build muscle! Also, it just tastes delicious!
  • mk732
    mk732 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat nuts. You can get healthy fats in other foods. I like nuts but I don't find them to be very filling so I don't eat them very often and usually only with other foods like yogurt or fruit.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    they are high in calories however have healthy fats and good protein. if you can work it into your day, go for it! if not, then don't. they are filling as well, and just be carefull to keep track of how much of them you eat bc they are so calorie dense it can add up, a handful could be more than you think you are consuming
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i just had two tbsp pb on toasted wheat bread with a tbsp jam for breakfast. yum! and burp, very full for the rest of the morning
  • ChaiTea2015
    Options
    Nuts are great! They have good fats in them. I eat them as a snack or along with a piece of fruit for breakfast. Walnuts and Almonds are the best.