Workout class fail

Options
candythorns
candythorns Posts: 246 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
i started a new class today and I wasn't aware of the coordination involved. I was just trying to catch up and get my workout in and the instructor shamed me in front of the class several times. I left the class after 5 minutes as I felt her poking me emotionally was not something I could deal with, who wants to risk crying in front of ppl when you're just trying to keep up. Need some motivation. :(

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Pick a different class! I will only do one class, and my friend is the teacher. Unless you're at risk of injury, he will not correct form. He does not want to single people out. A good teacher will have alternatives for harder exercises...
  • sly9798
    sly9798 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You should see me do Zumba!! Lol. All left feel. I just laugh and modify and look stupid. Find a class with a cooler instructor. It's suppose to be fun too!!!
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Find a new instructor...
  • casiemm
    casiemm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is not the instructor for you but hat doesn't mean classes aren't for you. Something like Zumba where everyone is just flubbing along and having fun is a grest way to go.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I wasnt there, but I cant see shaming is the way to go, you contribute to their living one way or another. Depending on how you feel, talk to the manager or instructor or find a different one. They obviously have a way to go with people skills. Please dont let it put you off.
  • tatumtracy
    tatumtracy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dont stop. There are TONS of classes online. Youtube, hulu..etc. Dont let stupid people determine your success.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i started a new class today and I wasn't aware of the coordination involved. I was just trying to catch up and get my workout in and the instructor shamed me in front of the class several times. I left the class after 5 minutes as I felt her poking me emotionally was not something I could deal with, who wants to risk crying in front of ppl when you're just trying to keep up. Need some motivation. :(

What did the instructor say?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like much fun. What did the instructor do/say that was "shaming"?
  • candythorns
    Options
    She reminded me "other left" several times until I responded to tell her I'm just trying to keep up, she was right at the front of the class, when I decided to leave she yelled, "there goes the first one". Starting a new class is hard, trying to keep up and already feeling embarrassed but doing it anyway is hard, everyone is differently abled and for all she knows I could be recovering from a major health condition. I have completed boot camps that were hard and succeeded! This woman was just rotten.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Wow thats terrible. The instructor should have recognized a new face in the croud ... and usually new people are not going to do well their first time! Screw them, but keep your head high and find something else.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    can you report her to the gym that she works at? I would do that and find another class. There is NO reason for her to run you down like that or make rude comments,that is not very professional of her.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just had a terrible instructor. Life is too short to suffer through awful workout classes. There are plenty of classes and instructors out there to choose from! :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    write a letter to head office and make a complaint comparing what their gym spiel says and what happened in practice as well as poinying out how it made you feel etc, siggest she get some training on her interpersonal skills as she was rude and unprofessional.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Some people are just rude. It isn't you - it's her. Just go find yourself a different class. One without mean girls. :)
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would second reporting her management. I was a Park and Rec dance teacher for several years and would never call out someone like that!
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That's rude & unacceptable employee behavior. Report her & try another class :)
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    she sounds like a real jerk. please join another class, or gym or something. otherwise that horrible person has power over you that they just don't deserve. BTW, you should see what my burpees look like. I wear two bras just so nobody gets hurt!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd totally be writing a letter/email about her, that's just not on. Don't give up on classes though! The problem was her, not you.
  • candythorns
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and understanding. I'm going back there on Wednesday for a different class (yoga) with a different instructor and I'm going to leave a complaint at that time. Getting fit as *kitten* would help me feel super vindicated but I NEED classes. This is the closest gym and their Saturday boot camp I signed up for was cancelled, this is how I ended up in her stupid class instead.
    I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up and learn to work out on my own. Maybe practice my coordination skills with some videos.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a jerk and I find this rude. There were many other ways she could have been helpful, including just letting you do your thing. Man I would roundhouse kick her.