Cutting out dairy products

Options
I eat yogurt daily. I am starting a new regimen on Monday. I am looking for dairy-free yogurt. Any suggestions on what brands to buy?

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Why? If you're not lactose intolerant, dairy can be so good for you!

To answer the question, I have seen lot of people enjoy soy yogurt from Stonyfield. They have an organic O'Soy brand.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    But why? Are you suddenly lactose intolerant?
  • jessjess6791
    jessjess6791 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So Delicious or Almond Dream brands. =) Since cutting dairy out of my diet, I feel so much better and don't even miss it. I get calcium and vitamin D in other ways. =) Also, I'm lactose intolerant, but I think we all are a little bit, because we are the only species to drink milk past infancy. And drink other animals milk on top of that. I hope this helps! Welcome to a world of less bloat!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    So delicious makes a coconut yogurt, but it's really expensive!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for protein in your yogurt? I find that the coconut yogurt tastes the best, but it doesn't have hardly any protein. Soy is the one with the most protein.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you like yogurt, buy a yogurt maker so you can experiment with various types of milk and additions (like almonds to add protein).
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    amande almond milk yogurt is soooo so so good
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in protein shakes I will use soy or coconut milk yogurts as I've found some that aren't too bad price wise in the store here. I do find that of the choices soy has the most protein. The coconut milk ones are very minimal when it comes to protein that I've found in the stores. It's nice they are making more flavors in the alternative options now as I have a mild allergy and getting itchy all over is no fun.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! No, I am not lactose intolerant. I simply want to cut out dairy products. One of my co-workers is a former NFL player. I am going to try his "diet" regimen for one week, which includes cutting out dairy and gluten products among other things.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! No, I am not lactose intolerant. I simply want to cut out dairy products. One of my co-workers is a former NFL player. I am going to try his "diet" regimen for one week, which includes cutting out dairy and gluten products among other things.
    It's very popular for sure, why is of course, the mystery. Aluminum is involved Im convinced. On a more serious note, good luck with it because they both would need to be pried from my dying hands.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Why don't you instead try a "diet" that you see yourself sustaining for life so you can learn actual life skills on how to eat properly for your weight :/
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Why don't you instead try a "diet" that you see yourself sustaining for life so you can learn actual life skills on how to eat properly for your weight :/

My co-worker's regimen is very similar to what I've been eating since joining MFP 160 days ago. The only difference is the dairy and gluten free foods. Thought I'd try it for 7 days and see how it goes!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

My co-worker's regimen is very similar to what I've been eating since joining MFP 160 days ago. The only difference is the dairy and gluten free foods. Thought I'd try it for 7 days and see how it goes!

There is absolutely no reason to do this unless you are gluten- and dairy- intolerant. many products which are gluten-free are no healthier than their gluten-bearing counter parts, and can be less so. Following a new 'diet' is a bad idea, because people usually don't stick to radical changes that are so alien to their traditional eating habits. You're a lot better off learning to eat your usual foods in moderation and following a calorie deficit.
    It's frustrating for those of us who actually are gluten- and dairy-intolerant to hear people say they are trying this new 'diet' to try to lose weight on it. We would love to eat regular foods and be able to enjoy them. Things like gluten and dairy are in so many foods you wouldn't even think of and we can't eat them, or we get very sick. To stop eating them for no good reason at all, is just ridiculous.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm in a pain clinic and the Doctor told me no dairy BC dairy thickens the blood when you have Osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia it causes pain. That is true it's been over a year since I went off dairy and now all the swelling I had in my legs and hands are gone. Doc was right it was the dairy. Now my Gastroenterologist just told me on Monday no gluten I was tested and I am not allergic but I am highly sensitive to it. Wheat products gives me symptoms like IBS which is what I thought I had. however I have already notice a difference in my stools since i have given up gluten products. Stick to your gut what every floats your boat we don't all function the same so if it's what you want to try then by all means try it. The worst thing can happen is you wasted time. Sorry can't help you with the yogurt perhaps you can look up recipes on how to make your own many people make there own. Happy hunting.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Dairy "thickens the blood?" That's a new one for me. I'd like to see some science behind that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

There is absolutely no reason to do this unless you are gluten- and dairy- intolerant. many products which are gluten-free are no healthier than their gluten-bearing counter parts, and can be less so. Following a new 'diet' is a bad idea, because people usually don't stick to radical changes that are so alien to their traditional eating habits. You're a lot better off learning to eat your usual foods in moderation and following a calorie deficit.
    It's frustrating for those of us who actually are gluten- and dairy-intolerant to hear people say they are trying this new 'diet' to try to lose weight on it. We would love to eat regular foods and be able to enjoy them. Things like gluten and dairy are in so many foods you wouldn't even think of and we can't eat them, or we get very sick. To stop eating them for no good reason at all, is just ridiculous.

Agreed
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Dairy thickens the blood? Yeah, right.

You know what helps fibro? Exercise when you're not flaring.

I have psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia, and you'll pry dairy from my cold, dead hands.

OP, good luck with your plan, but honestly, giving things up just for the sake of a diet isn't a good idea when you think of things in the long term. It really, really, really is much better to form sustainable habits that can last you a lifetime. That would mean building a diet around nutritient-dense foods you enjoy with some treats thrown in here and there to feed your soul... all eaten at a calorie deficit.

I've tried different "ways" of eating as a path to success before. They all fail.
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So Delicious plain flavor is the only one I found that is low sugar. Its tough to get used to the taste though :/ I tried doing half and half mixed with Greek and weined myself down. Ended up skipping yogurt altogether! So Delicious ice cream is good though.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't think there will be any amazing changes in just 7 days
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I haven't been able to give up dairy and I have a mild allergy. Good thing it's mild cause mmm cheese.