Don't know what to do?

Options
Hi guys, I have a bit of a problem.
Basically, I've lost about 3 stone in 18 months doing only cardio and eating at a calorie deficit. I realise that was a bad idea now.I'm 8 stone (which is actually less than my goal weight) and I'm still not happy with my body because I'm 'skinny fat'. I really don't know where to go from here, even after all the research.

I know I need to do weight training to build muscle, so I bought 2 pairs of weights 2lbs and 6lbs, (I can't afford gym membership atm). Are these heavy enough? And how many times a week?
Also, should I continue with the cardio? After all, I am still 'fat', just lighter.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's really getting me down! Wish I could get back to my original weight and start all over again-properly! Thank you so much guys

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can do some bodyweight work and get stronger (and gain some muscle mass). You also have things around the house that you can lift. I’d focus on compound movements (squats, push ups, pull ups/rows, and overhead press).
  • From40to8
    Options
    Hi there,

Where do I begin with my response ... I have been through all the stages of weight loss and have tried and failed many times while learning how to do this the right way, so please try to take this advice from someone who has been skinny fat, and recently too.

Firstly congratulations on losing so much weight! I'm sure many have congratulated you, but unless you have experienced it, you will never know just how much of an achievement it really is. So, WELL DONE! :)

To answer your question ... yes, you do need to do strength training! There are so many different views on how it should be done, frequency, etc. What I can tell you from experience is form and weight used are key. I will share my schedule below, but please take this advice first. No matter what anyone tells you, if your weights do not challenge your muscles, doing 50 reps is pointless. Rather do 10 reps with the proper form and weight than 50 reps with weights that are too light; you will not see the results that you want.

Further to this, it will take time, just like weight loss does. But I assure you that you will see changes in your body in as little as two weeks if you are committed.

Don't exclude cardio, find a balance between cardio and strength training (HIIT is excellent) . Functional training combined with HIIT is what works for me. I also ensure that I have rest days for my muscles, I have two rest days a week as active recovery and/or stretching days.

An example of my weekly schedule is as follows:

Monday: 40-50 minutes HIIT and core strength (you're getting your cardio and weights)
    Tuesday: 40-50 minutes HIIT and lower body
    Wednesday: 30 - 45 minutes Upper body focused Tabata
    Thursday: Core strength and pilates (30-40 minutes of each)
    Friday (recovery day): Stretch and tone (30-40 minutes)
    Saturday: 40-50 minutes HIIT and Full Body
    Sunday (recovery day): 30 minutes light cardio (walking, jogging, etc) and 30 minutes yoga

Please please ensure that you have recovery days and that you include a warm up and cool down whenever you exercise; this allows you to perform at optimum level, it is vital!

Using the schedule above as my basis, I have gone from skinny fat to lean and toned in 6.5 months. It takes a lot of dedication, but it is so worth it.

As I am new here, I'm not sure I am may promote other websites, but I have a really great resource that you can use. Let me know if you would like the link via private message?

On your note of not being able to afford a gym membership ... it's good to exercise at home, your body is your gym.

Good luck!!!! :)
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    From40to8 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Where do I begin with my response ... I have been through all the stages of weight loss and have tried and failed many times while learning how to do this the right way, so please try to take this advice from someone who has been skinny fat, and recently too.

Firstly congratulations on losing so much weight! I'm sure many have congratulated you, but unless you have experienced it, you will never know just how much of an achievement it really is. So, WELL DONE! :)

To answer your question ... yes, you do need to do strength training! There are so many different views on how it should be done, frequency, etc. What I can tell you from experience is form and weight used are key. I will share my schedule below, but please take this advice first. No matter what anyone tells you, if your weights do not challenge your muscles, doing 50 reps is pointless. Rather do 10 reps with the proper form and weight than 50 reps with weights that are too light; you will not see the results that you want.

Further to this, it will take time, just like weight loss does. But I assure you that you will see changes in your body in as little as two weeks if you are committed.

Don't exclude cardio, find a balance between cardio and strength training (HIIT is excellent) . Functional training combined with HIIT is what works for me. I also ensure that I have rest days for my muscles, I have two rest days a week as active recovery and/or stretching days.

An example of my weekly schedule is as follows:

Monday: 40-50 minutes HIIT and core strength (you're getting your cardio and weights)
    Sunday (recovery day): 30 minutes light cardio (walking, jogging, etc) and 30 minutes yoga

Please please ensure that you have recovery days and that you include a warm up and cool down whenever you exercise; this allows you to perform at optimum level, it is vital!

Using the schedule above as my basis, I have gone from skinny fat to lean and toned in 6.5 months. It takes a lot of dedication, but it is so worth it.

As I am new here, I'm not sure I am may promote other websites, but I have a really great resource that you can use. Let me know if you would like the link via private message?

On your note of not being able to afford a gym membership ... it's good to exercise at home, your body is your gym.

Hi, thnks for taking the time to detail all this out, it's not only helpful for the OP, but many other passersby like me, hehe. Can I ask you a question? How much weight do you use? What lifting weight did you start with? How often do you increase the amount? Does one have to have lost all desired fat to do this... or is it ok to go for it during fat loss?

Any insights will be appreciated.
  • From40to8
    From40to8 Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi.

I use different weights for different exercises, for example ... I will use 3kg's (6lbs) for exercises like a windmill (full overhead circles) as this is quite challenging, 5kg's (11lbs) for all bicep curls, overhead presses and lunges and lastly 7.5kg's (16.5lbs?) for most of my compound exercises like deadlifts and squats. But, I assure you that I did not start off using these weights, the most I could lift initially was 6lbs.

In terms of what is correct for you, only you will know that. But any additional weight is good. Honestly, only your body will tell you what to use :) Try different weights for different exercises, but I would definitely go use your heavier weights for lifts like bicep curls as these are muscles that you use every day, so should be stronger than your chest, for example.

Don't be afraid to go heavier when you are no longer challenged, you will not look like a body builder. The end result will be defined muscles, not bulging muscles.

Regarding eating, do not shy away from any particular food group, especially if you are strength training. Your body needs carbs, fiber, protein, etc. But as a rule of thumb when it comes to carbs, if it's white, don't eat it. Always opt for complex carbs, which are essential for muscle recovery after a good solid workout.

To answer the question about when to start ... start now! :) Strength training burns a ridiculous amount of calories, so it will definitely assist you with weight loss too. That is why I recommend HIIT and Tabata, it combines cardio in the form of plank jacks, burpees, etc. and functional/strength training.

Always happy to share ...
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi.

I use different weights for different exercises, for example ... I will use 3kg's (6lbs) for exercises like a windmill (full overhead circles) as this is quite challenging, 5kg's (11lbs) for all bicep curls, overhead presses and lunges and lastly 7.5kg's (16.5lbs?) for most of my compound exercises like deadlifts and squats. But, I assure you that I did not start off using these weights, the most I could lift initially was 6lbs.

In terms of what is correct for you, only you will know that. But any additional weight is good. Honestly, only your body will tell you what to use :) Try different weights for different exercises, but I would definitely go use your heavier weights for lifts like bicep curls as these are muscles that you use every day, so should be stronger than your chest, for example.

Don't be afraid to go heavier when you are no longer challenged, you will not look like a body builder. The end result will be defined muscles, not bulging muscles.

Regarding eating, do not shy away from any particular food group, especially if you are strength training. Your body needs carbs, fiber, protein, etc. But as a rule of thumb when it comes to carbs, if it's white, don't eat it. Always opt for complex carbs, which are essential for muscle recovery after a good solid workout.

To answer the question about when to start ... start now! :) Strength training burns a ridiculous amount of calories, so it will definitely assist you with weight loss too. That is why I recommend HIIT and Tabata, it combines cardio in the form of plank jacks, burpees, etc. and functional/strength training.

Always happy to share ...

Thanks!!! I REALLY appreciate this :0)

I'll take all this in consideration. I've been doing massive research and have learned a bunch... but I do like some "real life" examples, lol.

Funny you mention the weights in kilos (and struggle to turn into pounds)... because kilos are the unit I use too, as I live in a country that uses the metric system. And look at that, I had just bought some 3kg dumbells to start ;)

And I've switched from whites to whole foods a while back. And have been doing hiit on the elliptical, which gets kind of dull.... so that Tabata thing sounds a lot more challenging and fun. Cool.

Thank youuuu, enjoy your weekend!!

• superwoman9595
    superwoman9595 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me a detailed response! I'm going to start with your schedule from tomorrow. Do you think instead of doing HIIT I could replace it with running around the park? I find it more interesting, that's all haha

And of course if you don't mind sending me the link via private message that would be really great. Thank you millions again!