Recover from a bad diet ?

Options
I used to be quite fat being young arround 15-16, I went on some crazy diet .. i wouldn't even call it a diet just eating a little piece of bread the whole day for a month and half. now i'm 18 have put on some muscles and not in an entirely bad shape, and i just realised after using MFP that i have been on a huge calorie deficit for years ... I'm even thinking its the reason im kind of shorter than average, i believe i've harmed my metabolism gravely. So does anyone have some kind of tips to recover from such things. currently male 19, 149 Lbs, 5'3.

Replies

• Omaoffive
    Omaoffive Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would be eating lots of vegetables and fruits with lean meat. Maybe some vitamin/mineral supplements would be a good idea too.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You're not short because of your diet. Set reasonable calorie goal, eat food you love, easy varied diet.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could be short because you haven't eaten enough, and at your age, it is possible that you will grow some if you eat, but don't count on it. You might try eating enough to gain weight and if you grow, you grow. If not, you can eat at a deficit later to take off the weight gain.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Genetic potential for height is what it is. Next time around, pick taller parents. That's what I'm going to do.

Use the tools here to eat to nurish your body. Men can grow even into their 20s. If you are very concerned about your height, a doctor can to an x-Ray of your hand to tell if you are done growing.
  • reynqi
    reynqi Posts: 3
    Options
    So basically i should not bother with cutting, dieting or anything currently .. just exercice and eat what i can until later.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    reynqi wrote: »
    So basically i should not bother with cutting, dieting or anything currently .. just exercice and eat what i can until later.

I don't think anyone said that. They said to eat a reasonable amount, hope you grow, understand you may not grow, and that there are tools that physicians have that may prove very useful to you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are your goals? Do you want to lose more body fat? build muscle? maintain???

At your age, I would take advantage of the fact that you have a lot of potential for muscle growth and start a heavy lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, etc..

I did not get into heavy lifting unit I was near my thirty's and I wish I would of gotten into a lot sooner….
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Enter your profile into MFP along with a weight goal. Eat to the calories that MFP sets. Easy game.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OP, if you have been eating at a severe calorie deficit for years--enough to actually stunt your growth--you would have been steadily losing weight all that time. You'd be skin and bones by now! But since your stats put you in the overweight BMI category (slightly), I doubt you've been consistently under eating for years (unless you recently gained weight after a long period of being underweight, of course). My guess is that you are like most people, massively underestimating what you were actually eating back then. Perhaps there were some "cheats" in between those starvation periods, for example? I'm not saying what you described sounds healthy at all, a bread only diet sounds like something you ought not repeat! You were probably getting awful nutrition even if the calories weren't as low as you thought.

My recommendation is that you set MFP to maintain your weight for a while since you are showing some unhealthy patterns and concerned about drastic diet practices in the past. Don't try to diet right now. Just focus on learning what healthy and balanced eating looks like, getting all your nutrients, and learning what it feels like to eat a normal amount of food every day. The advice to try weightlifting is good, as that can help you become more muscular and fit.
  • reynqi
    reynqi Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, if you have been eating at a severe calorie deficit for years--enough to actually stunt your growth--you would have been steadily losing weight all that time. You'd be skin and bones by now! But since your stats put you in the overweight BMI category (slightly), I doubt you've been consistently under eating for years (unless you recently gained weight after a long period of being underweight, of course). My guess is that you are like most people, massively underestimating what you were actually eating back then. Perhaps there were some "cheats" in between those starvation periods, for example? I'm not saying what you described sounds healthy at all, a bread only diet sounds like something you ought not repeat! You were probably getting awful nutrition even if the calories weren't as low as you thought.

My recommendation is that you set MFP to maintain your weight for a while since you are showing some unhealthy patterns and concerned about drastic diet practices in the past. Don't try to diet right now. Just focus on learning what healthy and balanced eating looks like, getting all your nutrients, and learning what it feels like to eat a normal amount of food every day. The advice to try weightlifting is good, as that can help you become more muscular and fit.

Yes, I'm currently at 25% bf used to be alot more though and i've lost a considerable amount, I've been on a really harsh deficit on and off but i've been getting nowhere near my calories goals or what i should be eating considering my activity level ... as you said awful nutrition along side weight lifting and heavy 2-3 hours workout sessions in the mornings.
    And in the midst of those 'diets' of course there was alot of cheat meals as i had no knowledge about healthy eating, calories or macros.

I'm gonna try and maintain a healthy amount of calories currently, though i'm week 3 into Stronglift with Squat:165/Bench:121/Deadlift:187 Lbs, and doing martial arts on every other day which leaves me with one day rest.

Also, thanks everybody, I appreciate your help.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I used to be quite fat being young arround 15-16, I went on some crazy diet .. i wouldn't even call it a diet just eating a little piece of bread the whole day for a month and half. now i'm 18 have put on some muscles and not in an entirely bad shape, and i just realised after using MFP that i have been on a huge calorie deficit for years ... I'm even thinking its the reason im kind of shorter than average, i believe i've harmed my metabolism gravely. So does anyone have some kind of tips to recover from such things. currently male 19, 149 Lbs, 5'3.

No.

You haven't.

Your coroner would have pronounced it " Death by starvation" by now if you had been.

Do you look like this? This is only 6 months of " huge calorie deficit"

minnesota_starvation_experiment.jpg
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

No.

You haven't.

Your coroner would have pronounced it " Death by starvation" by now if you had been.

No.

You haven't.

Play nice. This is a young man unsure of how to balance his diet asking for help, and from his subsequent posts, willing to take advice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting. Just stop! You're a growing boy, eat food. Lift heavy and start taking care of yourself.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

No.

You haven't.

No.

You haven't.

Play nice. This is a young man unsure of how to balance his diet asking for help, and from his subsequent posts, willing to take advice.

Request denied.