Can I lose weight eating 1,115 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ReignOerMe wrote: »

I'm a 5'6 and eating 1'115 cals but I get so carbphobic

If you're 5'6", you should be able to eat more than 1115 to lose weight. I'm the same age as you and 5'5" losing on 1480 net calories for reference. Also, if you are eating 209 grams of carbs, you are getting 75% of your calories from carbs. That doesn't leave a lot of room for fat and protein. The American dietary guidelines typically recommend 45-65% carbs for the average adult. Enter your info into myfitnesspal and the app will give you recommendations for how many calories, carbs, protein, and fat to consume. Since you only have 28 pounds to lose, I would recommend you use the 1 pound per week option.

Can I eat 1200 cals?

A lot of people here do eat 1200 calories. I personally don't recommend it if you want to feel your best and have sustainable weight loss. When you put your information into myfitnesspal, what calorie goal does it give you for 1 pound per week? That should be a good starting point.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1100 or 1200 is way too low. Bump up to 1400 or even 1600. I'm 5'5" and I eat closer to 1700 or 1800 to lose (granted I'm a bit bulkier at 200lbs). You need to eat a sufficient amount of calories to fuel your body.

Dont, I repeat, DONT be afraid of calories. Calories are energy. Your body NEEDS energy. The big 3 sources of calories are protein fat and carbs. Don't be afraid of any of them.

Bump up your protein and fat. Try adding nuts and cheese into your diet. Peanut butter should be a staple food (unless allergic). Milk and yoghurt work wonders too. Cottage cheese is an A+ source of fat.

Also, find an online calculator (iifym . com works) and find out what your BMR and TDEE is. Choose a number in between and eat at that number.

Don't be afraid of the food. Don't be afraid of carbs. Don't be afraid of fat. 1200 will just leave you hungry and sad.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just set your goal at 0.5 or 1 lb a week and net at whatever limit MFP gives you. Hit your macros too. MFP is already pretty generous with carbs in my opinion.
  • 1st_BeStrong
    1st_BeStrong Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your Vegetarian & not Vegan, you may still consume dairy products which have protein.
    If you are a strict Vegan, you can still get protein from things like Tofu, Quinoa, Legumes, etc... there are many non-animal based, natural proteins in nature.
  • 1st_BeStrong
    1st_BeStrong Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    eat more , eat a tonne of carbs and be happy

but seriously eat more that is a reallly freaking low number

I would guess, if the body height, age, sex, etc.. have been entered in properly, you are all ready being informed by 'myfitnesspal' that you are not eating enough. I'd guess in the nutrition tab, the 'pie chart' is far from the suggested 3 categories too

Fat can be added as easy as tossing fresh veggies or pasta with olive oil, to add a healthy fat to your diet. Avocados, nuts... heathy fats.

Eat confidently, the proper way, rather than following 'mythical' quick ways to lose weight only & not care about your health too. All those I know that have gone for the easy, fast weight loss ideas, have gained it all back + more!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6, 20 and want to lose 28 pounds. How much do you currently weigh? What did MFP say when you entered your information in regarding daily caloric intake?

There are lots of vegetarian protein sources like soy in lots of forms and beans, whey, hemp, and pea protein.

Several key vitamins are fat soluble and you need to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats from olive oil, avocados, etc. Nuts are also good, though they are calorie dense.

Protein and fat are key for you health. I'd strive for more of a balance with your nutrients.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    All these posts and not 1 person asks how much the OP currently weighs.

Good point.

What do you currently weigh, OP?

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I read on this forum that low cal is a great way to lose weight and is realistic. Today everyone says that's not enough. Love this place.

OP, more info needs to be shared. I would say right off the bat that the amount you stated is *probably* not enough to fuel your body, lose weight and satisfy you
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Why are you not eating protein? There are healthy fats as well. You need to exercisr more and consume a bit more.
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    Options
    Yesterday I read on this forum that low cal is a great way to lose weight and is realistic. Today everyone says that's not enough. Love this place.

OP, more info needs to be shared. I would say right off the bat that the amount you stated is *probably* not enough to fuel your body, lose weight and satisfy you

Calorie deficit is the path to weight loss, but one still needs to consume enough to carry out basic bodily processes.

OP, I am 5'0", vegetarian, 168 lbs, and I eat about 1250/day and have consistently lost 1.5-2 lbs almost every week since October. My carbs hover around 100 most days, and usually stay under 200, but I personally don't focus on much other than calories. I'd focus most of my effort on calories if I were you, and it's likely you could eat at least a couple hundred more and lose weight at a healthy rate.
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You're 5'6, 20 and want to lose 28 pounds. How much do you currently weigh? What did MFP say when you entered your information in regarding daily caloric intake?

There are lots of vegetarian protein sources like soy in lots of forms and beans, whey, hemp, and pea protein.

Several key vitamins are fat soluble and you need to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats from olive oil, avocados, etc. Nuts are also good, though they are calorie dense.

Protein and fat are key for you health. I'd strive for more of a balance with your nutrients.
    MFP says I should eat 1400 cals daily I keep getting mixed signals that's too much carbs are bad for losing weight

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

MFP says I should eat 1400 cals daily I keep getting mixed signals that's too much carbs are bad for losing weight

They would only be bad if they take you over your maintenance calories.

What are your age and weight?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If when people write "low cal" you read that as "below the generally accepted the average woman should consume," no wonder you hate the idea of a caloric deficit so much.

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 would be good for you! Since you only walk 30 minutes a day. It's not like you are doing hard cardio. I would not go under 1200 though.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

How much do you weigh?
    I'm a 5'6 and weight 169 i gain two pounds:(
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    Will my fitness pal will cacualate how much cals im getting from carbs.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Carbs are 4 calories per gram (as is protein, and fat is 9 calories per gram)

Set your goal to a pound a week and aim for that number. Eating only 1100 calories can cause you to become too tired as well as run you the risk of losing muscle mass (including your heart) and hair loss due to inadequate consumption of nutrients.