Frustrated with my lack of self control

Options
2»

Replies

• jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The jury's still out, but there is strong evidence--I mean, like peer-reviewed research--that suggests that for some people (not all), sugar and carbs may have addictive qualities. I'm not saying that this is true for you, but there are people who have had success not eating added sugar at all.

I understand that it's drastic, and not for everyone, and you can surely lose weight eating anything you want i you're restricting calories. That said, if you can avoid foods with added sugar for several days, you may find that the natural sweetness of real foods, rather than packaged ones, taste really good.

I understand that this is a red-flag topic here. I am not trying to pick a fight, but to offer information that may work for the OP.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Cravings from sugar (sweets, artificial sweeteners, etc) - in my experience - go away with time. Just like smoking. I felt that sugar was addictive until I stopped getting my sugar from unnnatural sources. Then I realized, hey I don't need hot chocolate every morning, juice every 10 minutes. I believe sugar/bad carbs and addiction is very real.

What is important is not to beat yourself up about binging. Tomorrow is a new day. Work on trying to maintain positive habits. Several years ago, I stopped buying junk food like chips, cookies and soda. When I didn't have them in the house, it wasn't an option. Best choice I ever made. I don't even think about buying it anymore. Get your sugars from sweet fruits.

And before you do any of these - speak positively. Positive self-talk. It works. Tell yourself, I can beat this. I can do this. I CAN make it.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @harmar21‌ Actually I have been trying low carb... the problem is I am so addicted to the sugars that by the end of the day I am going crazy to get them. It seems like I will do anything to get them and then binge. I end up eating more sugar than I ever would have throughout a normal day. But I also can't seem to go back... now I crave that sugar overload every night no matter what I do during the day.

How long did you give it? Believe me, my sugar craving was as bad as yours. Id buy a box of cookies -- gone within an hour. I would buy halloween candy to hand out to kids, 1/2 of it gone before trick or treaters came.

I was randomly browsing the web, and came across people talking about how atkins killed their sugar cravings, and also drastically reduced their hunger. Thought eh what the hell ill give it a shot.
    The first 5 days were hell. I was so miserable, my body screaming for sugar/bread, but I resisted. I pretty much remember the exact moment it left, I was out for a walk and all cravings literally just disappeared. 10 minutes earlier I was really wanting an icecream cone, and 10 minutes later I didnt even care.

I am not going to lie, that first 5 days took a hell of a lot of willpower, but once that moment hit, it pretty much has been easy sailing since then. I never really have sweet cravings any more, and if I do for some reason Ill just put some mio in water, and then it is gone. This is a fairly common thing, some people take 1 week, some up to 2, but usually within 1-2 weeks people on keto lose the sugar cravings.

I then later switched from atkins to keto. Keto is essentially the induction phase permanently of atkins, but doesn't discriminate against any foods as long as it fits your macros -- so sure eat that 1 piece of Reese's peanut butter cup, but just realize that will probably take up 1/2 of your carb limit for the day.
    Im not saying you have to do as low of carbs as keto, but maybe even if you limited to 50-100g. For sweet cravings maybe eat an apple or some other fruit.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry you are feeling like a failure. i am feeling the same way...defeated. we can do this - let's hang in there together and fight!!!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did successfully drop soda, use Splenda in tea and coffee, switch to low carb milk (hood), I don't miss breads and pastas, but my body seems too and thus I go on a sugar binge... I am seriously like a heroin addict, I have spent money I didn't have to spend on sugary crap! Ordered it to be delivered, eaten it in secret...

the secret part is totally me. i would go through the drive-thru to order some really crappy fast food items (this was a long time ago) and sodas and not tell anyone. i would even pay cash so my husband wouldn't see it on the bank statement. i have given-in to cravings when i do not NEED the foods. it stops RIGHT NOW.

tonight, i poured out my glass of wine and said THAT'S IT! i'm so done with it all. i am on a mission and i am not letting my cravings or obsessions get in my way any longer! i take meds that make me gain weight, i don't need to add to it!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options

Give it two weeks and see how you make out. You can do anything for two weeks. If it works, you won't be sorry. Best wishes. <3

If I could make it one day right now, I would be really happy!

Well, I sure can't do anything for two weeks. But I can do the next hour.

So dannica, how are you with vegetables? Like them or hate them? I fill up on various mixes of frozen veggies.

Splenda and other sugar substitutes - It did not work for me to substitute the sweetness, I had to reduce my desire for sweets. Change my preferences. It can be done. People become accustomed to cuisines - hot Mexican, fragrant Indian, or bland Swedish (I'm part Swede)

Everyone takes a slightly different path. The one similarity seems to be consistent logging and tracking.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I used to have a lot of the same issues you are dealing with now. It seems like the sugar set off cravings which set off binges and then the cycle would repeat. The others have given you great advice. I cut out all sugar completely. Didn't have any in the house, refused to run out to get some. It was very very difficult for the first week or two. Gradually the cravings went away and I don't get them at all anymore.

I still never bring it into my home. I rely on fruit when I want something sweet. Also fruit can naturally sweeten a lot of other things...like plain yogurt. This is now my permanent way of eating. You can do this. If you slip up, just immediately try again and keep trying until it sticks.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    harmar21 wrote: »
    @harmar21‌ Actually I have been trying low carb... the problem is I am so addicted to the sugars that by the end of the day I am going crazy to get them. It seems like I will do anything to get them and then binge. I end up eating more sugar than I ever would have throughout a normal day. But I also can't seem to go back... now I crave that sugar overload every night no matter what I do during the day.

I am not going to lie, that first 5 days took a hell of a lot of willpower, but once that moment hit, it pretty much has been easy sailing since then.
    That's why i made the recommendations I made earlier, to help get through that phase.

Ya that may work, but it may also prevent her from losing the cravings, since the artificial sweeteners are still obviously sweeteners. I avoided them entirely for the first month. After the first month I started using zero calorie sweetners without bringing cravings back, but not sure if it would have been a good idea the first week or not.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    harmar21 wrote: »
    Im probably going to get flagged into oblivion, but try researching keto (very low carb) especially since you are diabetic. There are TONS of cases where diabetics no longer take any diabetic medication while eating keto.

Keto saved me. I tried pure calorie counting and was miserable. i was addicted to those high carb snacks and foods, no longer. Other snacks that I lack self control around (such as salty nuts) I just don't buy or try and buy in small quantities.

Just give all your food away, dont throw it out. I cleared out 1/2 my pantry and gave unopened things to food bank, and opened stuff to parents and relatives.

6.5 months after starting keto I am now down 60lbs. Where as I failed pure calorie counting many times in the past.

Why would you get flagged? Part of diabetic nutrition is watching carb intake. A person ha to find what works best for them to moderate their calorie intake. For me, it's just eating what I want in moderation, for others it's a specialized diet. If literal calorie counting made you miserable, you found a diet type where you were able to create a calorie deficit and keep it. That's a good thing. :)

I remember the days when I absolutely could not have sweet stuff in my house because I would eat it all pretty quickly. It took a long time for me to change my relationship with food and to learn that it was okay to have some of something, and to put the rest away for another day. Now, I have everything I love in the house and I don't eat it all up. But, it took changing my habits and coming to a self-understanding that no food is bad, it's all just food.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Cravings from sugar (sweets, artificial sweeteners, etc) - in my experience - go away with time. Just like smoking. I felt that sugar was addictive until I stopped getting my sugar from unnnatural sources. Then I realized, hey I don't need hot chocolate every morning, juice every 10 minutes. I believe sugar/bad carbs and addiction is very real.
    Craving sugar and going on a sugar/carb binge does not equal addiction. Overcoming addiction requires treatment and abstinence, and you can't totally abstain from sugar/carbs.
    What is important is not to beat yourself up about binging. Tomorrow is a new day. Work on trying to maintain positive habits. Several years ago, I stopped buying junk food like chips, cookies and soda. When I didn't have them in the house, it wasn't an option. Best choice I ever made. I don't even think about buying it anymore. Get your sugars from sweet fruits.
    I didn't buy what I considered "junk" for years. Interestingly enough, since I started allowing all foods I love in my house, including what others might categorize as "junk," I lost 44 pounds in about nine or ten months, and have been maintaining for almost a year and a half. <-- This comes from the fad diet queen who was obese her entire life until she decided to lose her first batch of weight at 40. I feel better now than I ever have, and I eat all foods I love in moderation.
    And before you do any of these - speak positively. Positive self-talk. It works. Tell yourself, I can beat this. I can do this. I CAN make it.
    I agree with this statement 100%. What we tell ourselves often determines how we treat ourselves. :)