Frustrated and confused

Options
2»

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mikejay777 wrote: »
    I recommend doing some strength training. Building muscle will cause your body to use more calories throughout the day and help your overall health. I didn't take the time to read all of the posts but I have heard that having too much time between meals can cause your body to go into fat storing mode. I don't know your calorie timing but intermittent fasting is not usually a good way to keep losing weight.

Rest assured, the highlighted part is completely untrue :smile:
    ^this
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    Bariatric surgery may cause some metabolic funkiness that none of us, however well-intentioned, may be able to identify. Best, maybe, not to go below 1,000 calories without getting your doctor's input and consent.

This kind of issue can be so frustrating. One week after I went off Depo-Provera, I started gaining weight and losing my hair. My doctor told me I was eating too much and the hair loss was from stress. I knew it was not true, and I pursued answers elsewhere. If your doc dismisses your questions, don't give up. Dig in, and find a doctor who will work with you. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

my meds are making me gain weight (close to 20 lbs in a month) and my dr tells me it isn't true. it's so frustrating... ]dr's don't always know what they are talking about.

very, very true. Our family doctor told my dad not to worry about the mole that was changing shape on his leg! By the time he sought a 2nd opinion the skin cancer had spread and he was dead 12mths later. My point is always seek a second opinion if you have doubts!!!

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Bariatric surgery may cause some metabolic funkiness that none of us, however well-intentioned, may be able to identify. Best, maybe, not to go below 1,000 calories without getting your doctor's input and consent.

This kind of issue can be so frustrating. One week after I went off Depo-Provera, I started gaining weight and losing my hair. My doctor told me I was eating too much and the hair loss was from stress. I knew it was not true, and I pursued answers elsewhere. If your doc dismisses your questions, don't give up. Dig in, and find a doctor who will work with you. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Hair loss, especially if it is falling out in clumps, is usually stress related. Your doctor was probably right.

Sometimes the doctor DOES know what s/he is talking about, even if it's not what you want to hear.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

my meds are making me gain weight (close to 20 lbs in a month) and my dr tells me it isn't true. it's so frustrating... dr's don't always know what they are talking about.

You're meds aren't making you gain weight, a calorie surplus is.
    wrong.
    i gained 10 lbs in 3 weeks then another 10 lbs in less than a week. it would be physically impossible for me to eat enough to gain that much. the meds DO cause weight gain.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

my meds are making me gain weight (close to 20 lbs in a month) and my dr tells me it isn't true. it's so frustrating... dr's don't always know what they are talking about.
    Meds can't make you gain actual fat, because extra food does that. So,your meds would have decreased your TDEE significantly. Not sure how that works.

So, are the meds causing you to retain water? Have you spoken to your current doctor about other meds that might work better for you?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your diary is full of unweighted entries of calorie-dense foods and foods that appear to be made by others. I have little doubt you're eating more than you think you are - your 1100 calorie sushi meal last night could easily - easily - be off by 500 calories depending on how it was prepared.

My suggestion is to clean up your logging, so you can get a solid baseline on where you really are.
  • bloodewine
    bloodewine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Your diary is full of unweighted entries of calorie-dense foods and foods that appear to be made by others. I have little doubt you're eating more than you think you are - your 1100 calorie sushi meal last night could easily - easily - be off by 500 calories depending on how it was prepared.

My suggestion is to clean up your logging, so you can get a solid baseline on where you really are.

All of my food have measurements on them. I don't see how counting crackers, for example, as opposed to weighing them really makes a difference. And yes, last night was an exception with the sushi - I'm not really sure how many calories I ate, which is why I overestimated and worked out before going. The only things I have eaten lately that weighing might have made a difference is the guacamole and the fudge. Unfortunately, both of those were store-made and did not have nutritional information on them, so I had to find a guestimated equivalent. Again, this is why I leave a 500 calorie deficit in case I make a mistake with logging, although I try to be as accurate as possible.

I'm not trying to be defensive, because I really do want help with this, but I am also really trying to be as accurate as possible, with erring on the side of over-estimating calories if I'm unsure.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    bloodewine wrote: »
    ...which is why I overestimated...

You didn't.

There are similar issues all over your diary. Plus your exercise burns are inflated - assuming your "pounds to go" is an accurate reflection of your weight, your 50 minutes of walking burns half of what you logged for it.

Bottom line, you're not running the deficit you think you are.

Clean up the logging, and you can get to where you want to be. Good luck!

:drinker:
  • bloodewine
    Options
    You didn't.

On what basis are you making this statement? You did not explain why you think this is true.
  • bloodewine
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You didn't.

On what basis are you making this statement? You did not explain why you think this is true. I doubt eating fewer than 10 pieces of mostly veggie and fish sushi is more than 1100 calories. And the "walking" was actually running, I'm just not very fast. Both MFP and MapMyRun estimated over 400 calories burned. Again, these may overestimate somewhat, but I guarantee I burned more than 200 calories, which would be the estimated calorie burn for someone who weighs half as much as myself. As I stated further up, but you apparently didn't see, I have about 80-100lbs to lose.

Bottom line, I'm looking for constructive help, not blanket statements with no explanation, or pseudo-explanations based on assumptions.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hair loss, especially if it is falling out in clumps, is usually stress related. Your doctor was probably right.

Sometimes the doctor DOES know what s/he is talking about, even if it's not what you want to hear.

I assure you, you are incorrect. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9714170
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    bloodewine wrote: »
    You didn't.

On what basis are you making this statement? You did not explain why you think this is true. I doubt eating fewer than 10 pieces of mostly veggie and fish sushi is more than 1100 calories. And the "walking" was actually running, I'm just not very fast. Both MFP and MapMyRun estimated over 400 calories burned. Again, these may overestimate somewhat, but I guarantee I burned more than 200 calories, which would be the estimated calorie burn for someone who weighs half as much as myself. As I stated further up, but you apparently didn't see, I have about 80-100lbs to lose.

Bottom line, I'm looking for constructive help, not blanket statements with no explanation, or pseudo-explanations based on assumptions.

You've received it. Rest is up to you.

Cheers and good luck!

:drinker:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

the sense we speak, she does not comprehend......

hello wall.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

You're meds aren't making you gain weight, a calorie surplus is.
    wrong.
    i gained 10 lbs in 3 weeks then another 10 lbs in less than a week. it would be physically impossible for me to eat enough to gain that much. the meds DO cause weight gain.

Mr.T-LOL.gif