Low carb diet!!!!!!

Options
Thinking of doing a low carb diet.... Has anyone done these and have any advice on them?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thinking of doing a low carb diet.... Has anyone done these and have any advice on them?

I've done them and failed more than once! Too restrictive, and it also limits foods that I eat everyday, such as milk, fruit, my twice a day chocolate fibre powder, yogurt ect ect. A lot of people have no probs though.

• Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can't do diets that tell me I can't eat something because then I can't stop thinking about that forbidden thing! That being said I unintentionally eat lower carb because I focus on hitting my protein and if I'm running low on calories and have to choose between cheese or bread I'll take the cheese every time! I eat a lot of eggs, spinach, chicken, sweet potatoes, cheese, and butter.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If you don't care about cutting out sugar, then give it a try.

I follow a low carb/high fat diet and don't have trouble with most things. I don't have a sweet tooth, so that helps. I'll splurge on wine once a month or so. I don't miss bread, pasta, rice but will look longingly at mashed potatoes and gravy, lol! Since I prepare it, I do get a taste.
    I like savory flavors so it works for me. It also keeps my appetite/cravings in check. I hold less fluid throughout the month than before. It makes calorie deficit easier for me.

Just remember, those carb macros are replaced by fat. It's a high fat, moderate protein, low carb plan. Also, low carb can have quite a range from around 20-100g so you don't actually have to cut them out entirely. They're just the lowest macro.
  • Omaoffive
    Omaoffive Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had to start a low carb diet for T2 diabetes 3 years ago. Simply by cutting out ALL sweeteners and sweets, eating small portions of beans, meat, cheese, little rice and lots of vegetables I lost 30 lbs. But I was hungry all the time.
    Now I find myself eating way to much fats. Nuts for instance are low carb but high in fats so I ended up gaining weight again.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Start there. You'll also find a lot of info here: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

The main differences you have to get used to is getting your carbs from veggies instead of grains, and getting the bulk of your calories from fats instead of grains. It's much easier if you get past that initial week or two where your brain insists it wants spaghetti and pop tarts, even though your body is doing just fine without them.
  • 1975patrick
    1975patrick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been trying the atkins diet. It limits me to 20g of carbs a day, which is usually hard for me. Plus, there's not much of a variety of foods you can eat, so it's not too great, but it does help. I've lost two pounds since Wednesday because of it!

Also, the atkins bars/snacks are really good if you want to have something chocolatey. I recommend the chocolate peanut butter bars or the chocolate chip granola bars!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I've been trying the atkins diet. It limits me to 20g of carbs a day, which is usually hard for me. Plus, there's not much of a variety of foods you can eat, so it's not too great, but it does help. I've lost two pounds since Wednesday because of it!

Also, the atkins bars/snacks are really good if you want to have something chocolatey. I recommend the chocolate peanut butter bars or the chocolate chip granola bars!

Doing regular low carb instead of Atkins induction is a lot more permissive on what you can eat. It's up to you where to set your carb limit. I'm at 22g/day, and there's a lot more variety to it. Some prefer to avoid keto altogether and stick in the 50-150 range. The Atkin's snacks tend to trigger cravings in some people (and gastric issues in others), but if you allow yourself to eat all the low carb vegetables and fruit, instead of a handful, it's a lot easier.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eat the fattiest cuts of meat, buy a bunch of butter, bacon is your friend, and if you end up doing lchf, the first week will be the toughest if you have a weaker stomach.

Heavy whipping cream (36%) goes in the coffee in the morn, unless you like coconut oil. I personally dont.

Oh, and dont buy in to the uneducated/misinformed BS statements of "fat makes you fat" or "saturated fat causes high LDL counts and heart disease." I eat a ton of butter, bacon, olives, eggs and peanut butter, and I have perfect cholesterol and lipid panels. Pretty good for a guy 40+ lbs overweight (after losing about 20 lbs)
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Are you following the old version, food wise? It was very restrictive. The new version has a long list of proteins (fish, meat, dairy) and vegetables for induction and the carb ladder adds foods as you move through it, after those first couple of weeks. I'm not following it, per se, but eat those foods and have a wide repertoire for meals.
    I also keep carbs very low for appetite control and enjoy a nice variety. I LOOK for variety, though, because eating the same things over and over contributed to my previous lapse. Boredom is a killer.
  • nealsland
    nealsland Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done it before. It works but be careful. I started it again not long ago and my blood sugar dipped way low. I got dizzy and couldn't remember what year it was. I was very disoriented. I just added some carbs and still losing weight.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Let me ask you, what are your motivations for doing low carb? Because it is the latest craze or is there a specific reason? I.e if you have plenty of will power and self control, there is no reason to do low carb, just eat what you want but make sure you in a calorie deficit (assuming you want to lose weight)

However, if you have issues with self control, or are always hungry when you eat at a deficit, or are diabetic, then low carb may be a decent option.

I been doing a low carb diet, and lost 65lbs in the past 6.5 months. I tried the pure calorie counting, but I needed the low carb for the appetite suppression. Once I get closer to my goal weight I may try transitioning off of low carb since i have developed a lot more self control and will power these last 7 months. If I was just pure calorie counting, I would have failed 6 months ago and still be at my 345lbs (like I have many times in the past).
  • LorindaSC
    Options
    Low carb diets help in weight loss the same way they help Diabetics (carbs turn to sugars fast and cause a spike and a crash). Less carbs, more proteins (including fats) means slowing down the conversion process, no spikes, healthier nutrition gathering by the body. Carbs don't satisfy as long as protein does so it's really a false satiety fix
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb/high fat diet for 2 weeks now. I have tried it before in the past but didn't give it a good enough go or follow it properly! I can definitely say that it has seriously reduced my cravings and my appetite. Lost a bit in my tummy but I suppose it is too early to say that is fat. I like this diet so far though!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    harmar21 wrote: »
    Let me ask you, what are your motivations for doing low carb? Because it is the latest craze or is there a specific reason? I.e if you have plenty of will power and self control, there is no reason to do low carb, just eat what you want but make sure you in a calorie deficit (assuming you want to lose weight)

However, if you have issues with self control, or are always hungry when you eat at a deficit, or are diabetic, then low carb may be a decent option.

I been doing a low carb diet, and lost 65lbs in the past 6.5 months. I tried the pure calorie counting, but I needed the low carb for the appetite suppression. Once I get closer to my goal weight I may try transitioning off of low carb since i have developed a lot more self control and will power these last 7 months. If I was just pure calorie counting, I would have failed 6 months ago and still be at my 345lbs (like I have many times in the past).

Congrats! I consider that an NSV. :+1:

One of the best things about low-carb diets, besides the health benefits for those with insulin resistance or autoimmune or digestive issues, is the self-control aspect. Low-carb diets enforce portion control for you, while you retrain yourself to mend bad relationships with food and to gain self-control. I can make cakes, cookies, choc chip pancakes for the kids, watch others eat pizza, Doritos, and all my former trigger foods and I am GOLDEN. Haven't licked the spoon once. I don't touch that stuff. There's some crossed-wires in my brain when that stuff passes my lips. It turns on the Binge Beast. Ain't got time for that nonsense! I will have been keto for 10mo on the 1st of April, and if I wanted, I could probably switch to a higher slow-carb diet. I don't want to right now, but now, finally, it is an option. Right now I like the foods I eat just fine and don't miss the stuff I gave up. I feel great. Why fix what ain't broke? The portion control, while striving to keep my macros on-point, is easy for me to sustain.

The key in any eating plan is to choose a sustainable one, for YOU, and make it your lifestyle. Because it is as much about your maintenance strategy as the plan itself. This is cheesy as h*ll, but true. Failing to plan, is planning to fail. Period.

Pick a sustainable plan. Work the h*ll out of it. Make it part of your new life. Win.

OP, do visit the group posted above. I help mod there and our "Launch Pad" has some threads full of information that might help you decide whether or not this eating plan will work for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

One of the best things about low-carb diets, besides the health benefits for those with insulin resistance or autoimmune or digestive issues, is the self-control aspect. Low-carb diets enforce portion control for you, while you retrain yourself to mend bad relationships with food and to gain self-control. I can make cakes, cookies, choc chip pancakes for the kids, watch others eat pizza, Doritos, and all my former trigger foods and I am GOLDEN. Haven't licked the spoon once. I don't touch that stuff. There's some crossed-wires in my brain when that stuff passes my lips. It turns on the Binge Beast. Ain't got time for that nonsense! I will have been keto for 10mo on the 1st of April, and if I wanted, I could probably switch to a higher slow-carb diet. I don't want to right now, but now, finally, it is an option. Right now I like the foods I eat just fine and don't miss the stuff I gave up. I feel great. Why fix what ain't broke? The portion control, while striving to keep my macros on-point, is easy for me to sustain.

The key in any eating plan is to choose a sustainable one, for YOU, and make it your lifestyle. Because it is as much about your maintenance strategy as the plan itself. This is cheesy as h*ll, but true. Failing to plan, is planning to fail. Period.

Pick a sustainable plan. Work the h*ll out of it. Make it part of your new life. Win.

OP, do visit the group posted above. I help mod there and our "Launch Pad" has some threads full of information that might help you decide whether or not this eating plan will work for you.

Great post bacon!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

This is a really good post I just wonder how you ate Doritos with a spoon?!? Seriously, you are doing well. Good post for new folks.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is certainly true.

(I don't understand how low carb has self control aspects greater than other ways of eating and don't believe that people following other ways of eating struggle with portion control more--I think other factors are involved too, such as why you struggled originally--but we can leave that for some other thread!) ;-)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

I haven't been to the low carb board in ages; I've been missing out. I love what you've done, especially the launch pad. :flowerforyou:

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

This is a really good post I just wonder how you ate Doritos with a spoon?!?

Well sometimes I felt like getting all fancy. :wink: