Beginner in weights

Options
CyeRyn
CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
I signed up to my local Anytime Fitness. I really enjoyed their weight equipment and I want to keep using them, but I don't want to injure myself because of my lack of knowledge with lifting. Any advice for a beginner? Like how many reps should I be doing? How should I judge how much weight I should be using? How often should I be working each muscle group? I'm aiming to go about 4 times a week... more if I'm not too exhausted with work/mom duties. My first day I got an introduction of all the machines and how to properly use them. After I did 20min on the elliptical and then worked on all the lower body machines and then worked my abs. I left out arms since I was always told to work one muscle group one day, and then another the next. Any advice is welcome!! Thank you!

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I expect others will have more to say about weight equipment, but what I would encourage you to look into is lifting free weights instead. I do the Starting Strength routine where you lift 3 times a week. The exercises are compound ones that work several muscle groups at a time, like squats, deadlifts, and bench press. You do low reps but heavy weights: 3 sets of 5 reps for each exercise. The best thing about it is that it’s quick: takes about 30 minutes three times a week, and it’s very effective. Sounds like you have a busy schedule, so this may be well-suited for you.

If you do look into it (the bodylifting forums have a detailed post on SS if you’re interested) and want to give it a shot, just be extra careful to maintain correct form. That’s the single most important thing in lifting, in my opinion. I’ve been going pretty slow in terms of increasing the weight to make sure I don’t sacrifice form. Let me know if you’ve got any questions, and best of luck :smile:
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like doing weights at the gym to but free weights are much harder than the machines, so I started out with just dumb bells or the weight itself off the bar and slowly to build up endurance. I really don't have any but it's getting better. Squats, dead lift and bench like Emilia said.
  • CyeRyn
    Options
    I dont want to do free weights I have terrible balance and get dizzy easily. Thats why I plan to do the machines. I do squats with the assisted bar thing though. Thx for responding
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As everyone said above, I would suggest free weights over machines, but if you have dizzyness problems, dont worry about it.

The only one I WILL object to is the smith machine (the squat machine). They run along a predetermined path and don't allow you to squat naturally. This can cause posture and back problems in the long run. Try squating with a barbell if you can, or dumbbells/kettle bells can work too if you google how.

As for how many reps/weight...it really depends on your goals. Are you looking to gain mass/definition/tone? Gain strength?
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting I would do a combination of machines and free weights. Machine for muscle groups like chest and back and free weights for arms and shoulders, body weight stuff like push-ups squats lunges,etc. you need to build up strength slowly. This way is good. Your workout split is entirely up to you, but don't just work one muscle group a day, that takes too long, work complementing groups together or once your body as adjusted change it up to shock your body. When I started lifting I would do today body circuits every day, my aim has always been fat loss.

Example:
    (Work abs any day or everyday)
    Monday-back, bis, shoulders
    Tuesday - legs, calves, and glutes
    Weds- Chest, triceps
    Thursday- back, bis, shoulders
    Friday -legs, calves, and glutes
    Sat - chest, tris
    Sunday -rest

Another example:
    (Work abs any day or everyday)
    Monday - chest and back
    Tuesday's - legs, calves, and triceps
    Weds - shoulders and biceps
    Thursday - chest and back
    Friday- legs, calves, and triceps
    Sat- shoulders and biceps
    Sun - rest

My current program: (I do cardio daily, before lifting)
    Monday - cardio only, abs
    Tuesday - back, biceps, abs, forearms
    Weds. - legs, calves, glutes
    Thursday - shoulders, chest, triceps
    Friday- legs, calves, glutes
    Saturday - abs
    Sunday - rest

As for weight to be lifting, generally they say you should feel fatigue by the 8th rep and have trouble with completing the 10th.

Example:
    My weakest body part is my shoulders so I do lateral raises with 15 lbs for 8 reps. But I can perform 12-15 reps easily with 10 lbs.

Same applies to the machines.

Hope this helps!
  • VerlaCollins
    VerlaCollins Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All tips are highly beneficial for weight loss. Generally, Peoples who are suffering from fat these tips are helpful for reducing their weight.
  • Emilia777
    edited March 2015
    Options
    erikgoya wrote: »
    As everyone said above, I would suggest free weights over machines, but if you have dizzyness problems, dont worry about it.

The only one I WILL object to is the smith machine (the squat machine). They run along a predetermined path and don't allow you to squat naturally. This can cause posture and back problems in the long run. Try squating with a barbell if you can, or dumbbells/kettle bells can work too if you google how.

Yeah, this is part of the reason I don’t like machines: they can actually be harmful. OP, I appreciate your reasoning, but I do think free weights would help you loads with core strength, which may help with balance. Just food for thought.

Nonetheless, @newport3158‌ gave some great ideas, and the machines are still a good place to start if that’s what you’re more comfortable with. Also, I confess I don’t have the patience to track each muscle group as meticulously as that :smile: Major props.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    CyeRyn wrote: »
    I dont want to do free weights I have terrible balance and get dizzy easily. Thats why I plan to do the machines. I do squats with the assisted bar thing though. Thx for responding

Better to do them in a squat rack than on the smith machine you are referring to. Also better to do free weights. Not sure where you'd have issues, considering most upper body stuff is or can be performed sitting while using dumbbells or barbells, and if you can do squats on a smith machine then you can squat and deadlift with a proper bar (lower the weight because smith machines allow you to lift more weight since it does the balancing for you).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    erikgoya wrote: »

Yeah, this is part of the reason I don’t like machines: they can actually be harmful. OP, I appreciate your reasoning, but I do think free weights would help you loads with core strength, which may help with balance. Just food for thought.

Nonetheless, @newport3158‌ gave some great ideas, and the machines are still a good place to start if that’s what you’re more comfortable with. Also, I confess I don’t have the patience to track each muscle group as meticulously as that :smile: Major props.

The majority of people don't even NEED to do such a program though. Full body or upper/lower split will work for the majority of lifters, even more advanced lifters. For instance, working abs daily doesn't allow for recovery. Also upper body is worked out way more than is lower body in those examples.

ETA any time I've used strength machines for hamstrings I've had issues. Much better for me once I started just doing good mornings!
  • newport3158
    Options
    Abs are a muscle group that don't need dedicated rest time. But, there are plenty of other ways to work your abs without crunches, planks, etc.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A machine program can be a decent program. A good machine program takes a lot of time, though, because you need to use so many machines to get a good full body workout. And free weights are more "functional", in other words, they mimic real life movements better than machines. You are also able to do compound lifts with free weights, which exercise multiple muscles with each lift. More bang for your buck.

But if you must use machines, if your gym has cable machines, use them instead of the lever machines.

For a beginner, a split is not necessary. If you have the time to spend, do all the machines every time you workout. Do 2 sets of 8-10 on each machine.

For a beginner, take a day off from strength training between strength workouts. Workout/Rest/Workout/Rest/Workout/Rest/Rest.

If that still takes too much time, you can do an upper/lower split 4 times a week, Upper/Lower/Rest/Upper/Lower/Rest/Rest. You won't progress as fast, but it doesn't take 2 hours in the gym.

As for starting weights - start fairly light, and add weight every time you successfully complete both sets of 10. It's OK to start stupid light, but if you do that, add weight aggressively.

If you start failing to even reach 8 reps on some machine, you may need to de-load. After you've failed to reach 8 reps for 3 workouts in a row, cut your weight back 10-20% and start progressing from that lower weight just like before.

If you're memory is as bad as mine, keep a log book so you remember what weight you're on with every machine.

If you have free weights available, you should have a goal of moving over to them at some point. But be careful when you start free weights - machines are notorious for causing strength imbalances, which can be dangerous when starting free weights. Start light again, even if it seems easy, and practice good form!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    Free weights > machines, but machines > sitting on couch doing nothing! Remember that!
  • CyeRyn
    Options
    Any recommendations on the type of free weight exercises I should do besides squats? I cant do squats with the bar because of my balance issues and I have no spotter but I can try them with hand weights. Same with lunges. Im completely new at weights so clueless on everything. I used to just do jillian michaels dvds which I enjoy but wasnt getting the results I wanted. I still might do them on occassion they helped a little on my balance. Ill still do some of the machines. I really like the hip and ab ones.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on the type of free weight exercises I should do besides squats? I cant do squats with the bar because of my balance issues and I have no spotter but I can try them with hand weights. Same with lunges. Im completely new at weights so clueless on everything. I used to just do jillian michaels dvds which I enjoy but wasnt getting the results I wanted. I still might do them on occassion they helped a little on my balance. Ill still do some of the machines. I really like the hip and ab ones.

Look into something like Stronglifts 5x5. It's a neatly laid out program to get you started. It's also free.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUzGB2HoX4

I just started a couple of weeks ago on the machines at the YMCA. I really do like it. I go M-W-F and do 2 sets of 12 reps with as heavy weights as I can do the full amount of reps. I do all of the machines each time. It takes me 45-60min. I also do the bike or treadmill first for 15min for my warm up. At the Y they have a log that you fill in each time so you know how much weight you do on each machine and how many reps too, I would be so lost without that.

Doing the machines is way better than doing nothing. Don't let anyone make you feel like you aren't doing enough because you aren't doing what they are doing.
  • kate_baxter
    kate_baxter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lots of great articles and resources here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html
  • newport3158
    Options

Bicep curls, overhead tricep extensions, shoulder presses, chest press, chest flys, front and lateral raises, deadlifts, there's millions of variations with Dumbbells and barbells. I suggest you check out bodybuilding.com and become a bodyspace member, there's so many workouts on there the possibilities are endless! Good luck!

• Emilia777
    edited March 2015
    Options

Doing the machines is way better than doing nothing. Don't let anyone make you feel like you aren't doing enough because you aren't doing what they are doing.

Just to be clear, I never said OP isn’t doing enough! In fact, I exactly echo this sentiment:
    nossmf wrote: »
    Free weights > machines, but machines > sitting on couch doing nothing! Remember that!

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and I have nothing but respect and encouragement for anyone who is making an effort to get healthier and stronger :smile:.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LUzGB2HoX4

I just started a couple of weeks ago on the machines at the YMCA. I really do like it. I go M-W-F and do 2 sets of 12 reps with as heavy weights as I can do the full amount of reps. I do all of the machines each time. It takes me 45-60min. I also do the bike or treadmill first for 15min for my warm up. At the Y they have a log that you fill in each time so you know how much weight you do on each machine and how many reps too, I would be so lost without that.

SO true :) (*)

I too agree if one starts at the machines the free weights should be the next goal if you're physically able. But you shared you have a issue with dizziness... only you know how safe it is to do free weights... also another member shared...some of it is sitting down so you might get the balance you're looking to gain simply by working those weights. :)
    As for the other poster that shared the above... absolutely working toward a goal is better than not adding anything. :)