Juicing

Options
Has anyone tried Juicing? Did it work? Did you have any issues? I'm really tempted. I could go all veg-5 days a week and eat lean protein/fish two after the juicing period is over and have the very rare steak/lean burger. I know I could maintain I just want to lose the majority of the weight and stop feeling so ughhh.

Replies

• kodji67
    kodji67 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have done a "juice diet" in the past, and I did lose weight, BUT
    1) I put it all back on and then some within a few weeks. I also felt that I "knew" I could maintain once I got my weight down (I was wrong).
    2) It cost a LOT of money, and I had to go shopping every few days because the fridge can only hold so much produce.
    3) I felt like crap the first few days, very lethargic and lots of headaches. This went away, but sometime after that I started obsessing over food and recipes for when I would eat again.

I think that sums it up. I don't recommend it.
  • vicridge4
    vicridge4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience. Juicing (assuming veggie juicing) is good if you bring it in slowly, and treat it like any other meal (you make it a few times a week etc) but as a lifestyle change, it is incredibly hard on your mind and body, and its difficult to maintain for any period of time because your body NEEDS other nutrients.

You can get those nutrients into your juices using supplements, but it isn't the same as their whole-foods alternatives. Most people who try juicing simply can't maintain it and gain back the weight, myself included. I started getting MASSIVE cravings that I couldn't control.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did some juicing (as a supplement, not as a fast) for a while and it was a nice way for me to get in a lot of different types of veggies, as I'm not a big vegetable eater in general. We usually juiced apple or orange, carrots, celery, cucumber, spinach or kale, etc. However, it is quite expensive (it took at least one of each fruit, often multiple for my boyfriend and I to each get a big class. I also felt wasteful as I was throwing out all this good stuff in the pulp. I was never really sure how much of the nutrients were going in the trash along with the fiber.

I've much more enjoyed using smoothies as part of my daily routine. I get the fiber, I prefer the taste and texture, and it's less wasteful and less expensive. I could probably work on getting more veggies into my smoothies though, as it's often just spinach or kale along with some fruit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Juicing for losing weight - no

Juicing for nutritional balance if you must / like to

• lakersfan89
    lakersfan89 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody. Yeah I can barely maintain my weight loss I wouldn't have been able to maintain it. I watched Fat sick and nearly dead. Got crazy idea's.
  • mummyadele84
    mummyadele84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I done Jason vales 7 day fast first few days were hard rest of week was good thou I felt amazing at end of it and lost 7lbs but it's not easy to maintain the next time I done it I had juices for breakfast and lunch and chicken or fish and lots of veg for dinner also snacked on fruit I lost 5lbs in a week if your going to do it if go for 2nd option as its a bit easier and I'd try Jason vale books as his recipes are great hope this helps :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody. Yeah I can barely maintain my weight loss I wouldn't have been able to maintain it. I watched Fat sick and nearly dead. Got crazy idea's.

There's a 2nd movie out now - all his followers keep doing a re-boost I think its called because they can't sustain it get fat again and then need to juice again. Seems to me that means it doesn't work.

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I juice everyday, sometimes twice a day as a supplement to my diet. I juice in the morning as will juice in the evening if I haven't gotten all of my vitamin in for the day. As much as I love juicing and believe there are many benefits to be had by juicing, I do not think it a valid replacement for food. If you are seriously interested in incorporating it into your life invest in a masticating juicer so you can do veggies, fruits, and your leafy greens. There is a little waste involved with that type. I got a higher end Omega from Bed Bath and Beyond - it was on sale. A few weeks later I got a coupon for 20% off and took that and receipt back and got a further discount. Everything said and done what was originally over $300 ended up costing me around $150, so be on the look out for deals ;) Plus you save money making the juice/smoothies yourself (around here a green drink is $7 for 10oz.) as for cost of veggies, stores hve sales, buy in bulk, and a few apps will give you rebates on produce so it actually works out to be the cost of buying juice in the grocery store, but is so much better tasting and much less calorie dense and no added sugars.