Why are you/we here?

Options
Machka9
Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
Why did you join MFP? What are your goals? :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

I used to be really active (ultra-distance cyclist) and could eat whatever I wanted. I struggled to keep weight on and was often in the underweight BMI category. Then my activity level dropped to about 2/3 of what it was because of a change in my life situation, I adjusted what I ate, but not quite enough and put some weight on. There was a bit of up and down there, trying to get it right (I used several other tracking programs in that process). Then my activity level dropped to about 1/3 of what it was because of life and health issues. Again, I adjusted what I ate, but not quite enough ... and I slowly and gradually put on 15 kg over the past 4 years.

What I'm doing now is a 2 part goal... basically getting back into my previous (usual) lifestyle.

1) I need to lose the 15 kg so that I can be more active. Trying to haul an extra 15 kg up hills and over long distances at a reasonable speed is difficult. So I'm here to adjust my intake and refresh my memory on calories and portions.

2) I need to become more active, build up those cycling distances, taking on more challenging hikes, etc. ... getting back into what I love doing.

I've been here 40 days now, and have lost 6.5 kg ... so far, so good. :) I've also had the best month of cycling distance since last March. :) Here's hoping April will be even better.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I joined because I got fat, and I want to unfat myself.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm not what people would call fat but I don't like the way I look or feel. I'm 5'2, 28 (29 in a week) and my current weight is 139. My goal is to get down to about 120 and be able to maintain.
  • Ellasdream
    Ellasdream Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »

Love it!

I'm here because I had had enough of not feeling comfortable in my own skin. I'm a singer and perform on stage a lot and just wanna feel sexy up there ;-)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I joined because I had too many chins and belly rolls. Now I have less.
  • Machka9
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I joined because I had too many chins and belly rolls. Now I have less.

Yeah ... somehow I managed to gain an extra chin or two. I started noticing it in photos. My hubby says that I've lost at least one of them, but I don't see the difference yet.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The food database kept coming up in nutrition searches and the only way to see the info was to sign up. I stayed because MFP let me track sodium.
  • moose_mama
    moose_mama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Both my parents had heart attacks. My Mom's was just a few months ago and it was enough to make me get more serious about my health.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've been big all my life. At 32, though, it hit me that I was only ten years younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with diabetes. I decided then and there that I didn't want to turn out like him.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm here because a cycling jersey doesn't look good stretched over rolls of fat. That and because my blood pressure was creeping up.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight, but also really active so I stayed overweight and not obese. Then I had a bad neck injury and I was pretty much unable to do much of anything for years. Between that, and bad eating habits, I gained a lot of weight. I got married last year, and we started talking about starting a family next year. I realised that I didn't want to be severely obese for pregnancy as the risks are higher, and I knew I'd just get even bigger. I've also seen people in my family have bad hearts, and diabetes, so I wanted to cut my risk for those things.

At the end of the day, I want to be healthy, and live a healthy life so that my future child/children are well, and do the same.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I joined because I got fat, and I want to unfat myself.[/quote

Also I want to learn about macros and retaining muscle and reducing by boy fat percentages. I left the typo in because it amuses me :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    moose_mama wrote: »
    Both my parents had heart attacks. My Mom's was just a few months ago and it was enough to make me get more serious about my health.

Both my parents had heart attacks as well. My mom was 64. My dad was 44.

Neither was overweight, but why stack the deck against myself?

• Machka9
    Options
    I'm here because a cycling jersey doesn't look good stretched over rolls of fat. That and because my blood pressure was creeping up.

My husband and I bought good quality, and fairly expensive rain jackets for cycling.

When we bought them about 4 years ago, mine was just a bit snug but still wearable. In the months before I started here, the only way I could wear it was if I did not zip it up ... kind of pointless to leave a rain jacket unzipped!

I've been thinking about buying a new cycling rain jacket ... but my money sense tells me that my current one is still perfectly good, and I haven't worn it much so it looks almost new, and if I just lost a bit of weight, I could wear it again!!!

• Essenaich
    Essenaich Posts: 10
    Options
    A life change. < Not much more I can say then that. Changing things up so I can enjoy my future and have a future after 19 years.
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    Over time, you think,"I want to lose weight!", but for whatever reason, you just dont do anything about it. You know its not going to go away by itself, yet every time you look in the mirror, you seem to say it again, and again. It took many years to put the weight on,and you know it may take that long to take it off, but you dont seem to have the gumption to want to do anything about it.......until one morning you wake up, and presto!!!! You have had enough, all of a sudden you are ready to do something about it, almost like it was an overnight decision. I am now ready!!! Don't know why today is any different than yesterday, but for some reason it is.I want to be healthy, i want to have energy, i want to enjoy life. You just wake up saying," today is going to be the start of my new life!!!"
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I joined because I had 2 kids and paleo diet started to make me gain weight (I didn't understand the concept of CICO and was probably eating 3000 calories a day on paleo)

I've lost 3 pounds in 35 days here! I'm in no hurry to loose weight so I might as well loose weight and have fun eating!!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I joined because this site has the tools I need to help me get the body I want.
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm here for a ton of reasons.
    I am short, 4'10 and was always very thin growing up.
    In ninth grade I was 92 pounds and fresh out of 6 years in gymnastics.
    My weight slowly crept up and never seemed a problem.
    By graduation I was 112 pounds.
    Once in college and living on my own, it crept up to 142 pounds (nearing obese for my height)
    I'm now down just over 20 pounds with 10 more to go.
    And only about 2 pounds to go until I'm in a healthy weight range!
    My main reasons are to be healthy again, and to look good for my wedding in 6 months!
    My family has a history of diabetes, heart problems, etc... And I'm determined to keep myself healthy to avoid all the problems that I can.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP to lose the last bit of baby weight, then I used it to gain weight, now maintaining. It's definitely been quite the adventure
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    This.

Also if I can look something like this within the next few years, I'll take my work here as a success

septembertiljanuary.jpg