Not Able to Go

Options
I'm not using the bathroom regularly. I'm eating clean, plenty of fruits and veggies as well as drinking lots of water. I'll probably use the restroom twice a week if I'm lucky and I was going everyday when I was eating pizzas, burgers, fully loaded nachos, and turtle sundaes! I eat high fiber oatmeal for breakfast and fiber one bars as a snack, I even eat activia! What's wrong with me!!! Should I try a fiber supplement??? Any suggestions??

Replies

• kaitlinrt
    kaitlinrt Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How do you feel? Do you feel bloated? IF you feel good, it might not be a problem only going 2/week. I've found the healthier I eat the less I need to go too! Maybe it's also because I'm eating less overall. Plus, all that fat was pretty much moving things RIGHT along. Haha.
  • letthelittlegirldance
    letthelittlegirldance Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    are eating enough fat that was a problem for me ... probiotics like Curturile help I use Andrew Lessmans Ultimate Flora... some say a cup of hot water upon rising helps...

• awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try kiwi fruits.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm not using the bathroom regularly. I'm eating clean, plenty of fruits and veggies as well as drinking lots of water. I'll probably use the restroom twice a week if I'm lucky and I was going everyday when I was eating pizzas, burgers, fully loaded nachos, and turtle sundaes! I eat high fiber oatmeal for breakfast and fiber one bars as a snack, I even eat activia! What's wrong with me!!! Should I try a fiber supplement??? Any suggestions??

Kind of depends on how you feel and how it looks. If you are feeling fine, not bloated or full or like you have to go all the time, you're probably okay. When you do go, if it's not all small hard pebbles, you're probably okay. Not everyone goes all the time. If you were eating high fat foods before and aren't now, that's probably why. high fat foods can move through you faster because they are easier to digest.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    And drink lots of water!
    4 ounces prune juice followed by 2 large glasses of water!
    Works like a charm!
    I agree, add olive oil to your veggies! Fat is important!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Stop assuming OP is constipated people. Just because a person doesn't go every day doesn't mean constipation.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If OP isn't feeling constipated... Could just be that your body is using your healthier food more constructively than the rubbish you were eating before. Less waste would be produced if you were getting more nutritional value from your food?

Meh I'm not a doctor so who knows.
  • sushiandtea
    sushiandtea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber can be a problem if your body isn't used to it (an issue my brother had), but it's unlikely. Personally, I find a strong coffee and banana or probiotic yoghurt help me - my grandmother swears by apples and hot lemon juice (I find it just makes me feel hungry).

But, if you're not feeling discomfort or aren't in any pain, and aren't experiencing any gas/bloating you probably don't need to worry. The time of the month can sometimes mess up regularity, as can drastically changing your diet, so wait it out for a week or two and see if there's any change.
  • jockquelenewashington
    Options
    Thanks so much. I went today!! TWICE!! I guess you guys are right. The fat foods kept me regular but I'll be sure to add a probiotic to my list. I don't feel bloated or any signs of discomfort. And it's never hard or like pebbles. I was just concerned about realizing I wasn't going for days. I thought going once daily was necessary
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    If OP isn't feeling constipated... Could just be that your body is using your healthier food more constructively than the rubbish you were eating before. Less waste would be produced if you were getting more nutritional value from your food?

Meh I'm not a doctor so who knows.

That makes sense. I used to go 1-2 times per day but now I'm an "every other day" girl. After I changed my diet I slowed way down. It was so weird but after consulting Dr. Google I now feel I'm normal.

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I went today!! TWICE!! I guess you guys are right. The fat foods kept me regular but I'll be sure to add a probiotic to my list. I don't feel bloated or any signs of discomfort. And it's never hard or like pebbles. I was just concerned about realizing I wasn't going for days. I thought going once daily was necessary

It's not necessary. My Dr. actually called my bad foods 'craphohydrates' because they make you go more. When I switched over to a Dr/Dietician diet, I maybe go 2-3 times a week. It's not uncomfortable or bloated feeling.

It's a myth that you have to go once per day. Metamucil LOVES it :)
  • JoJo61612
    JoJo61612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Suppositories
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Drink some warm prune juice. Not a pleasant topic for discussion.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    li0488vxn2qa.jpg

Haha My niece got me a to-go mug with that on it. What an amazing kid. She knows me so well.

• kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do you take any medication? Even ibuprofen can slow you down...
  • pirch
    pirch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You might want to try a natural fiber supplement called glucomannan (konic root - soluble fiber). Doesn't make you "go" but helps with regularity. I get it in vtacost.com. Must take with plenty of water...I find it helpful to take 3 caps every morning. Money in the bank!
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So many reasons to be constipated, and so many remedies.
    Are you drinking enough water? (do you measure it out, so you know for sure?)

A suggestion:
    first thing in the morning, fresh lemon juice in a mug with a little cayenne and add some hot water. This usually works within minutes.

Actually most people DON'T eat enough veggies, they just think they do.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

In a glass of water you squeeze a lemon, then mix a spoon of baking soda.
    Should work within an hour.

• Omaoffive
    Omaoffive Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2 cups on an empty stomach in the morning, sometimes the second one is hot. What really helps too is a magnesium supplement, only don't take too much or you will be running to the loo too often. And of course as others have already said, drink lots of water.