Anyone knows of a really good appetite suppresant??

Options

Replies

• LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you probably don't want to see that an appetite suppressant won't work for you, but it simply won't. Emotional eating is all mental. On days I'm emotionally eating, I find I'm able to eat huge amounts of food that, when I'm simply eating by my normal hunger cues, would probably make me physically sick. If you're really emotionally eating to obesity, then it might be time to start taking a look at things from a different angle. Don't try dieting. Stop seeing food as the enemy. Realize that there are things that you need to start dealing with so you can start the road to recovery.

As someone recovering form binge eating disorder, believe me when I say I know what you're feeling. I was bulimic for a while. There are days I find myself not wanting to eat anything when I get in bad head spaces, and days I want to just lock myself away and do nothing but eat. Nothing other than really figuring out why I end up turning to food in some way or another will help.

Appetite suppressants will not work. Period. They work if someone is genuinely hungry, dictated by their body, not their mind. The issues that are the root of why you choose to turn to food will still be there. Do some research - find some books for emotional eating and how to deal with it that you think might help you, and just use the coping skills they teach in them. It's a matter of unlearning our disordered eating habits, and there's nothing that is an easy fix for it, but when you're working on it and see improvement, it makes it that much more rewarding.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater. I always feel as though i am hungry. Anyone knows of a appetite suppresor i can buy to kind of help me suppress my appetite??

For your situation - no, I don't know of any. There are some OTC class products that can take a little of the edge off, but that's a whole different thing than dealing with strong "emotional eating" urges.

An appetite suppressant isn't going to get you want you want, unfortunately.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sleeping. I'm never hungry in the morning. Once I eat breakfast then I start getting hungry. That's why I push breakfast out to 11 am or so, then I can eat the rest of my calories throughout the day and not feel hungry.

I think intermittent fasting is similar, not sure if it makes you hungry when you're not eating. Maybe someone can comment on that since I haven't tried it or looked into it much.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater. Unfortunately, suppressing your appetite won't fix it. You have to deal with the issue, and learn to deal with it without food. I've turned to exercise in times of stress and it really does help, and a lot more than food does. Instead of feeling temporarily better, then remorseful after stress eating, exercising makes me feel great.
    My first thought is still to turn to food when bad things happen, or I'm feeling really stressed out. But instead, I will go for a walk, or hit the gym, something like that. It's easier said than done...but gets easier with time.
    Best of luck. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If you're an emotional eater, you'll need to find other ways of dealing with your emotions.

One of the reasons you might be eating... at least this was true for me... I was afraid of my emotions. They felt overwhelming to me, and I ate to stuff them down, to soothe them away.

I came to the realization that this was a coping mechanism that I'd learned as a child, and I was still feeling emotions as bigger than myself as an adult--an age where I was fully capable of having perspective. So I started visualizing my emotions as a ball ... in my head... a mass... standing next to me... towering over me, and... I just made the ball shrink.

Every time I felt like eating emotionally, I practiced this mental exercise. I'd sit down, and close my eyes, breathe deeply, and focus on what was bothering me and make myself picture myself as bigger than it.

It eventually worked to break the habit. And that's what emotional eating is. It's a habit. It's a learned behavioral response.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, eat more protein, and work through your emotional issues. Eating as a form of entertainment is OK to a point, but beyond that there's no magic pill for bad habits.
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There are very few effective appetite suppressants currently on the market.

One of them is Qsymia. This is Phentermine combine with Topiramate in a once-a-day, time-release capsule. Both Phentermine and Topiramate are appetite suppressants, but Phentermine is a stimulant while Tompiramate is a depressant. Given in conjunction they help cancel each other's upper and downer effects.

It is also quite expensive, at about $180 a month.

However, many doctors will prescribe a generic equivalent of Phentermine an Topiramate, but you will have to take the pills separately. Generally you take the Phentermine first thing in the morning so that it will burn off by bed time, and you also take a Topirmate with it in the morning and another mid-day. This is much cheaper - it runs me about $30 a month.

I find it very effective as an appetite suppressant but there are side-effects. The first two weeks I felt very jittery however that has gone away. I can definitely see how people get addicted to speed as I tell my wife in the morning when I take the Phentermine that I am getting ready to "ride the rocket". It definitely makes getting up and going to work easy and I am on fire all work day.

The Topiramate has a side effect in that it alters taste. Others have reported this also. For me, it made sodas have an unbearable metallic taste. It was so bad that I broke a multi-decade Diet Coke addiction and have drank water almost exclusively since February 18th. Very occasionally I will have unsweet tea at a restaurant.

There are health concerns taking these drugs. And in order to get a prescription from a doctor generally you need a BMI over 30 plus at least one co-morbidity.

My mother-in-law took them for a year and lost 60 pounds.

The problem is, of course, that once you get off of them you will have to deal with the hunger again, and if you do not religiously track your caloric intake and master your hunger, you'll put the weight back on.

This is the most informative & helpful post I have ever seen someone post on MFP when a person ask for advice on Appetite Suppressants or any other diet medication. Thank you Maillemaker!!!!!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and increase your fat intake. Works like a charm.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

There are lots of people that doesn't work for. Personally, I can go 50% fat or higher and still out-eat my calorie goals without even thinking about it.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I agree try to deal and solve problems. Also counting calories tells you how much you need to eat so say that is enough. And it really is, we are just greedy. Make yourself behave. You can.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

There are lots of people that doesn't work for. Personally, I can go 50% fat or higher and still out-eat my calorie goals without even thinking about it.

Sorry, should have said works like a charm for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    this is not a food issues.

This is a mental issue.

All the food in the world won't cure it.

OP go see a therapist.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may have a bit of "constant craver" eating type there as well as emotional eating- have you done the BBC quiz yet and watched the shows? http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z2csfg8

I am some of both, mostly constant craver but some emotional eater though I don't really identify so much with the feaster type.

I found 5:2 super-effective when I did it in the past (can't atm due to meds which must be taken with food but do plan to go back to it eventually) but I would struggle on particularly stressful days due to the emotional eating part so timed it so it was on days where I wasn't going to be too busy. For emotional eaters they recommend joining a buddy group such as weight watchers or slimming world for moral support and talking therapy. I think the community on here is the next best thing :)

(The other group, feasters, are recommended low carb/low GI which tbh I find difficult to stick to and a poor fit for me)
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater as well and I found setting a eating schedule has really helped me even out. I have little alarms set on my phone when it's time for a treat and for lunch and so forth. It keeps my day paced and I'm not loading all at once.
  • whackyjackie
    whackyjackie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil helps massively
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Exercise really suppresses both my appetite and stress. If you aren't exercising regularly, maybe try to start walking or doing an exercise show on TV on a regular basis. I find it really helps. Also, there are a lot of books about the topic. Judith Beck has a couple out that are good.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Try resetting your appetite for three days like this:
    Don't eat any sugar or fruit, nor any artificial sweeteners (except stevia...and not RebA).
    Create a three-day menu that includes a pound of veggies divided into three meals, so like:
    omelette for breakfast
    salad and chicken for lunch
    stir fry and salmon for dinner

WTF?
    No!
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I am an emotional eater. I always feel as though i am hungry. Anyone knows of a appetite suppresor i can buy to kind of help me suppress my appetite??

When you feel like eating, go out for a walk instead.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options