Pointers for creating calorie/macro specific menu?

Options
I'm finding this process to be a tad bit overwhelming. Please share tips that might make creating my menus easier! I'm trying to hit a specific macro (1900 calories @ 40C/35P/25F for now, in about a month the Carb and Protein values will switch). Is it easier to plan the day with each meal/snack meeting these specific marcos, or balance it out over the day? Any guidance would be appreciated. What works best for you? Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pre log your days to hit your macros
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Right, silly :) That's why I'm making menus- to have something to pre-log and aim for. Do you find it easier to hit macros if you spread them out over the day, or each meal hits the macros? I'm finding that 1900 calories is a lot to plan for :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Right, silly :) That's why I'm making menus- to have something to pre-log and aim for. Do you find it easier to hit macros if you spread them out over the day, or each meal hits the macros? I'm finding that 1900 calories is a lot to plan for :(

You don't need to hit them each meal.

I look at my daily/weekly goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to just focus on the day, but I do make sure I get a decent amount of protein at each meal, as that's my way of making sure I make it. My fat and carbs mostly fall into place, although when they don't I don't care.

What I found easiest was to eat just focusing on protein for a few days and then look at my results and adjust. For example, if low on fat I'd know to add in some more going forward and maybe cut serving sizes on starchy carbs. It seems hard at first but gets easy to know how to eat over the course of the day to be in the ballpark (or closer if you care about that).
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Lemurcat, that's just the kind of tip I was after. Protein does seem to be the hardest macro to get in for some reason, so I think I'm going to try as you do, and build my meals around the protein. Working out like a charm so far, so thanks!