First 5K

Options
CaptainGordo
CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
Ran my first 5K race on Saturday. Was pleased to come in under 40 minutes -- even if it took a sprint at the end to do it.

This would not have been possible without the Couch to 5K program. I never imagined enjoying running, and now I'm hooked. Signed up for another race in two weeks, then another on July 4th. Hoping to get at least five in before winter sets in.

Don't give into the preconceived notions that you might have (or others have created for you) that you cannot run. Google "Couch to 5K", and give it a shot. My only regret is that I didn't catch the running bug until now.

I enjoy the give-and-take motivation that MFP provides. Please feel free to add me if you'd like another fan in your corner.

FirstFiveKay.jpg

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I got bit by the running bug in the last few months and I had my second 5K on Saturday. You'll be surprised how quickly you improve once you're able to run that 5K distance. My first race was 39:33, my second was 36:25! Just keep at it and try to throw in a longer than 5K run once a week. It'll make running 5K seem easier since you can go further.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    yay for you!! I was SO psyched that my first 5K is this coming saturday, then my knee started hurting so bad from running that I have to back off for a week or two. Not sure if I will get to run or not. Ran back in high school and college and took about 17 yrs off but hoping to be able to run again if my joints hold up :grumble: Don't you love the running high you feel when you finish a good run?!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I got bit by the running bug in the last few months and I had my second 5K on Saturday. You'll be surprised how quickly you improve once you're able to run that 5K distance. My first race was 39:33, my second was 36:25! Just keep at it and try to throw in a longer than 5K run once a week. It'll make running 5K seem easier since you can go further.
    Wow! Well done! Thanks for the tips.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Don't you love the running high you feel when you finish a good run?!
    Yes, yes I do. :smile:
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I did my first 5K on Saturday too! I kinda liked it . . . it was fun to run with so many people instead of by myself. I know there is so much opportunity to psych yourself out on a long run like that so good job on finishing with a great time!
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's a great feeling. I just caught the bug myself. Now I'm running sub 30 minute times. Keep at it, you'll keep improving.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I am on W1,D3 of the C25K and it feels great to run!
  • katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    im on week 1 of couch to 5k .

people like you make me realise that what i'm doing is definately going to pay off eventually

thankyou :flowerforyou:
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Great work!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

I have been "running" for a little bit but nothing fast or consistant. :grumble:

I am on week three of the C25K in hopes of truely becoming a runner!? :love: I am going to do the b210k (bridge to 10K) right after and will Graduate from the programs on Aug 15!!

I have been on MFP since Jan 26th and I ABSOLUTELY :heart: this site with the encouragement and positive vibes everyone sends out!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Way to go! Congrats! :drinker:

I finished C25k in February, and now I'm "training" my husband. The running bug is definitely contagious. I caught it from my niece and brother, and the hubs is catching it from me.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Congrats! I did my first 5K on Saturday too!
    Congrats!
    I kinda liked it . . . it was fun to run with so many people instead of by myself.
    Agreed -- made a HUGE difference. All of my training runs were flat, and this had a steady climb during the last mile or so. If I had been alone out there, I would have dogged it a lot more.
  • ashes03mj
    ashes03mj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm about to do my first 5k this Sunday. I know I'll be walking a lot more than jogging but atleast I'll be there! I ran back in high school and loved it. Since then I've gained a lot of weight and my ankles aren't letting me jog very far without crying for mercy haha!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Congrats! It's a great feeling. I just caught the bug myself. Now I'm running sub 30 minute times. Keep at it, you'll keep improving.
    Sub-30? Wow. Well done! Hoping to get there soon.
  • arthurowenlindsey
    Options
    what is a practical amount of time to work to a 5 k. when i was a few years younger, i could to a 14.30 2 mile run, and had never had less than a 9 minute mile when i had first started running.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Running 5ks and just running in general can be so therapeautic (body and mind). You will see that your next run is even better! I ran an obstacle run yesterday and had the time of my life!

Tip...now that u r a runner, make sure u r wearing the proper shoes for your stride...I have injuries from not wearing the right shoes when I started out. :(
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    The running bug is definitely contagious. I caught it from my niece and brother, and the hubs is catching it from me.
    Heh. Looking at the last two sentences, out of context, made me laugh. Yes, I have the humor of a 12 year-old. :laugh:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm about to do my first 5k this Sunday. I know I'll be walking a lot more than jogging but atleast I'll be there! I ran back in high school and loved it. Since then I've gained a lot of weight and my ankles aren't letting me jog very far without crying for mercy haha!
    Don't give up! I did about 5 minutes of walking on my 5K. It's OK -- work your way up. Couch to 5K is a great program, that you can adapt and do at your own pace.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    what is a practical amount of time to work to a 5 k. when i was a few years younger, i could to a 14.30 2 mile run, and had never had less than a 9 minute mile when i had first started running.

Every one is different! A practiical time is individual based and based on personal goals. I can run a 5k in 33 to 36 minutes depending on my day. My best friend ran her first in 26 minutes...she's also way taller than me and ran in high school and college. Either way, we finish and r proud of how far we have come.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Running 5ks and just running in general can be so therapeautic (body and mind).
    Agreed!
    I ran an obstacle run yesterday and had the time of my life!
    So very much want to do a mud run and/or Warrior Dash.
    Tip...now that u r a runner, make sure u r wearing the proper shoes for your stride...I have injuries from not wearing the right shoes when I started out. :(
    Done and done. Thanks!
  • arthurowenlindsey
    Options
    i think that once i start losing weight i can run it in 23 minutes, maybe 24. at least thats my goal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!