Unsweetened Ice Tea - Count as Water Consumption

Options
Hi,
Does my unsweetened ice tea that I drink every day count towards my water consumption or should it?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It's like 98% water right? What do you think?
  • cjfusion
    cjfusion Posts: 2
    Options
    Awesome.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    everything counts towards your water consumption. Sweetened tea, pop, coffee, juice, etc...
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You don't even have to drink water! Potatoes are around 80% water so you could eat lots of those if you wanted.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24464774
  • jetsman32
    jetsman32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Tea contains caffeine which can also act as a dietetic and dry you out. If you are going to drink tea just try to drink 8 ounces of water in between each cup.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    everything counts towards your water consumption. Sweetened tea, pop, coffee, juice, etc...

No.
  • db34fit69
    Options
    Or oranges! 87% water! Or strawberries! 92% water! OR cantaloupe! 90% water!

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/enri/pubs/enri129.pdf
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Selah722 wrote: »
    yes and no. If all you have all day is tea. then no. Black tea has caffeine in it. that will actually draw water out of your body, the same way coffee does.

NO.

The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

And from the Mayo Clinic...

Drinking caffeine–containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested. While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration.

• db34fit69
    Options
    Trechechus wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »

No.

Actually, yes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24464774

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would totally count it.
  • db34fit69
    Options
    Just drink when you're thirsty.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why would someone go to a chiropractor for advice on caffeine consumption?

So many on here has their own opinion...

I linked to an actual medical study, and to the Mayo Clinic. How is that an "own opinion"?
  • groovigyrl
    groovigyrl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, Selah, true. Chiropractic is generally categorized as alternative medicine or complementary medicine, which entails more than just cracking one's back! I went to one for a while who helped me form a diet plan. He was full of great info w/o the BS!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ...then feeling that you have the right to attack me.

I never attacked you or anybody else in this thread.

• db34fit69
    Options
    Chiropractors don't just straighten backs. They are like dietitians, nutritionists, thereapists, and a doctor all rolled into one! they treat the real problems instead of prescribing a medicine. they go through just as much if not more schooling than doctors.
    My family chiropractor gave my parents a diet that lowered my dad high blood pressure, that cured my moms gallbladder problem and so many other health problems you wouldn't even think could be cured without a prescription. They're awesome! I highly recommend everyone finds a good one! :) and most insurance companies are now realizing how valuable they are and are covering Chiropractors too!

Chiropractic benefits from, and only from, the placebo effect.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    General courtesy on social media: Don't quote someone unless you're praising them.

Really?! So no one can give an alternative opinion or adviCe?
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options
    When I was on Weight Watchers, tea that was unsweetened and no caffeine could be counted toward your water consumption. I'm sticking to that idea with my water on MFP.