Dieting to Lower Blood Pressure

Options
anyone know of the best way that they have used dieting to lower BP.. I do not want to take meds at all..

Replies

• mossyoakcwgrl
    mossyoakcwgrl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    DASH diet for weight loss! Thats what I am on and it definitely works! I started almost 2 weeks ago and my systolic and diastolic BP has dropped 5 mmHg.
  • reeshelen55
    Options
    Reduce salt and animal fats, try to stick to a root veg and fruit diet with white meat only, always check food labels for added salt, you'll be surprised at how much salt is added
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Watching my sodium intake and eating foods such as beet root (and the greens), celery and foods rich in potassium and magnesium like bananas, beans, blackstrap molasses, high-quality dark chocolate and spinach very regularly helped me to reverse hereditary high blood pressure over time and got me off meds.

I just have to stay consistent with eating most of these foods daily and along with checking my bp at home everyday.

Also limiting simple sugars and I stopped drinking alcohol and caffeine (other than having a mug of oolong or green tea once in awhile) helped as well. Foods that stimulate (like hot peppers etc.) will elevate blood pressure.

Good luck!

• crysclear5
    Options
    I was struggling with my bp once again prior to starting MFP. My doctor had put me on two bp meds to regulate my pressure. So I started a 1200 calorie diet, making better food choices, tracking everything (calories, carbs, fats, sodium, proteins, etc.) in MFP app and decreasing my sodium dramatically. I only drink water (no sweet tea, soda or juices) which helps too keep my daily sugar intake lower. In less than two months, I have lost 19lbs and have cut my bp meds almost completely out. I am just down to 5mg of one med. BP is still running a little low so I think the last 5mg of meds will be discontinued in about a week at my next dr. visit. I have managed to regulate my bp with just a difference in my diet and the weight loss.

Best of luck with your journey!
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have lost 26kg and it has made no difference to my blood pressure, still on the same meds I was on when I started my weight loss journey. I eat lean meats, fruits and vegetables and occasionally some bread and cereals. I avoid sodium and drink only water, tea and coffee (with no added sugar). I average an hour of exercise per day, cardio three days a week and weights three days a week.

I guess I was born with crook blood pressure genes!! I really like the effects that my diet and exercise regime has had on my body and I would not go back to how I was before.

There is no shame in going on the meds if you have to, they will help you to lead a longer, better quality of life. Not all high blood pressure is a direct consequence of your lifestyle choices.

Best of luck with it :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 years old and WAS taking lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure. It was generally 170+/90+ without meds. I lost 60 pounds via no special diet, just eating less and getting some exercise (cardio). My doc suggested only that i keep sodium to 1500 maximum, which I did. I'm no longer on BP meds. My blood pressure now averages 110/70.
  • angel3456
    angel3456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to tell u all I have lowered my BP by lowering my salt intake, also I am taking A few Herbs, Hawthorn, Holy Basil and Chamile tablets. I am happy so far with the results just need to lower a little moe