Cutting out dairy products

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    twistygirl wrote: »
    I'm in a pain clinic and the Doctor told me no dairy BC dairy thickens the blood when you have Osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia it causes pain. That is true it's been over a year since I went off dairy and now all the swelling I had in my legs and hands are gone. Doc was right it was the dairy. Now my Gastroenterologist just told me on Monday no gluten I was tested and I am not allergic but I am highly sensitive to it. Wheat products gives me symptoms like IBS which is what I thought I had. however I have already notice a difference in my stools since i have given up gluten products. Stick to your gut what every floats your boat we don't all function the same so if it's what you want to try then by all means try it. The worst thing can happen is you wasted time. Sorry can't help you with the yogurt perhaps you can look up recipes on how to make your own many people make there own. Happy hunting.

LOL wut
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I tried giving up dairy, eggs and wheat for about a month last year because I have problems with fatigue and chronic pain and I thought, why not, I'll give it a try. I didn't feel any better after that month though and I was miserable because I LOVE dairy and egg products. And I gained about five pounds during that time because (for example) I would eat soy ice cream which has a lot of calories rather than nonfat frozen yogurt.

Anyways my point is that if you choose to cut out dairy for whatever reason, that's your choice but if you think it'll help you lose weight then I kind of doubt it.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    twistygirl wrote: »
    I'm in a pain clinic and the Doctor told me no dairy BC dairy thickens the blood when you have Osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia it causes pain. That is true it's been over a year since I went off dairy and now all the swelling I had in my legs and hands are gone. Doc was right it was the dairy. Now my Gastroenterologist just told me on Monday no gluten I was tested and I am not allergic but I am highly sensitive to it. Wheat products gives me symptoms like IBS which is what I thought I had. however I have already notice a difference in my stools since i have given up gluten products. Stick to your gut what every floats your boat we don't all function the same so if it's what you want to try then by all means try it. The worst thing can happen is you wasted time. Sorry can't help you with the yogurt perhaps you can look up recipes on how to make your own many people make there own. Happy hunting.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your response and encouragement!!!
  • cruzmom123
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    I don't think there will be any amazing changes in just 7 days

I chose seven days just as a starter time. I don't feel comfortable trying anything new for a long period of time. Just taking it slow!
  • cruzmom123
    Options
    I tried giving up dairy, eggs and wheat for about a month last year because I have problems with fatigue and chronic pain and I thought, why not, I'll give it a try. I didn't feel any better after that month though and I was miserable because I LOVE dairy and egg products. And I gained about five pounds during that time because (for example) I would eat soy ice cream which has a lot of calories rather than nonfat frozen yogurt.

Anyways my point is that if you choose to cut out dairy for whatever reason, that's your choice but if you think it'll help you lose weight then I kind of doubt it.

My plan is to cut out both dairy and soy products. Thanks for the feedback!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    I don't think there will be any amazing changes in just 7 days

I chose seven days just as a starter time. I don't feel comfortable trying anything new for a long period of time. Just taking it slow!

.... Just eat food you enjoy at a deficit. Cutting out x and y for an arbitrary reason is just.. stupid.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like Whole Soy yogurt that I can get at Whole Foods. Silk makes a good one too--it is a little less sweet and slightly lower calorie. I've gotten it at Kroger, in the natural food section.

You can also get coconut and almond milk yogurt though I don't eat those as often bc of the lower protein.
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We can live without diary products. I like diary products, but cow milk is really for their calves...lol. Get your vitamins elsewhere if you are removing diary from your diet.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Couldn't imagine life without cheese and yogurt. 7 days without them would make me very grumpy...and hungry.
  • darlena65
    Options
    Has anyone heard of food combining? I am currently trying to eat where I do not eat protein and carbs at the same time ( or at a higher than 9 to 1 ratio. This comes from the diverticulitis pain free foods book. Just started it and finding it really hard to get enough protein when you can't do milk/sour cream/yogurt/ and I have an allergy to soy and eggs. Ugh.
  • ana3067
    Options
    darlena65 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of food combining? I am currently trying to eat where I do not eat protein and carbs at the same time ( or at a higher than 9 to 1 ratio. This comes from the diverticulitis pain free foods book. Just started it and finding it really hard to get enough protein when you can't do milk/sour cream/yogurt/ and I have an allergy to soy and eggs. Ugh.

Start your own thread.
  • cruzmom123
    Options
    I like Whole Soy yogurt that I can get at Whole Foods. Silk makes a good one too--it is a little less sweet and slightly lower calorie. I've gotten it at Kroger, in the natural food section.

You can also get coconut and almond milk yogurt though I don't eat those as often bc of the lower protein.

I tried to find those products at Wal-Mart yesterday but couldn't find them
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I will have to take a trip to Whole Foods..
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    darlena65 wrote: »

I've definitely heard of it and most of what I've head is that it is quackery that has been totally debunked by science. I wish I had some links handy, but I don't. Sorry.
  • cruzmom123
    Options
    I started this discussion with one simple question. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands of dairy-free yogurt? For those of you who have been genuine in your responses, thank you!!! However there have been a couple of posters who called my decision ( as a grown 35 year old woman) stupid and ridiculous. For those people, I ask that you start your own thread...you could title it "how to discourage others" or "yoohoo, pessimist over here!"
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started this discussion with one simple question. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands of dairy-free yogurt? For those of you who have been genuine in your responses, thank you!!! However there have been a couple of posters who called my decision ( as a grown 35 year old woman) stupid and ridiculous. For those people, I ask that you start your own thread...you could title it "how to discourage others" or "yoohoo, pessimist over here!"

They mean well. We all do. You know why? Because all of us, as grown people, have made the same sorts of decisions in the name of losing weight and learned that they don't work.

No... "one weird trick" or hack is going to unlock the magic secret to shedding pounds. No secret combination of foods, no forgoing of certain foods or food groups... nothing but a calorie deficit and realizing that it's not that you've been eating WRONG... you've been eating too much.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I tried to find those products at Wal-Mart yesterday but couldn't find them
    Thanks for the tip. I guess I will have to take a trip to Whole Foods..

Walmart, along with most mainstream grocery stores, is unlikely to have any non-dairy yogurts. Whole Foods will be your best bet. However, since the calorie counts are very similar, I don't know how swapping out yogurts will work as a weight loss strategy.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have to eat gluten free. Have to. And it effing sucks. The gluten free alternatives generally taste godawful. And they also generally have MORE calories, fats, sugars and weird ingredients then their regular counterparts. If you are going to swap out dairy- well, whatever floats your boat. But gluten free products are not healthier and, generally, are worse for you then their counterpoints. And massively more expensive. I don't recommend for anyone who doesn't have celiac.
  • kingdonle
    kingdonle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I cut out diary around two months ago. I've been suffering ibs type stomach issues for the last two years - bloating, diarrhea, cramps. I was tested for all sorts but eventually was asked to do a food/symptom diary three months a go and it was evident that dairy was an issue. I also had a reaction to artificial sweeteners so had a particularly bad reaction to diet yoghurts like muller lights!!
    I am using alternatives like alpro almond milk and alpro yoghurts but I do need to really think before eating. However, it's worth doing - I'm so much happier not waking up during the night with the runs or getting up in the morning without a headache. I've started logging on MFP to keep an eye on my nutrient intake. I don't eat much cheese but use a dairy free alternative if I want some.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't see why some people in this thread are being so critical about her decision to cut out dairy products. If she wants to eliminate dairy products then that is her decision. All she wanted was brand suggestions, not your opinion on eliminating dairy from the diet.

My favourite dairy free brands are Silk for almond/soy milk and Yo-So for yogurt (might be Canadian only), So Delicious isn't bad either!
  • ana3067
    Options
    Runcakes wrote: »
    I don't see why some people in this thread are being so critical about her decision to cut out dairy products. If she wants to eliminate dairy products then that is her decision. All she wanted was brand suggestions, not your opinion on eliminating dairy from the diet.

My favourite dairy free brands are Silk for almond/soy milk and Yo-So for yogurt (might be Canadian only), So Delicious isn't bad either!

What's a food you eat practically daily? Let's say you eat eggs daily.

Are you going to cut them out because some random dude was like "hey I lost 40lbs after I cut out eggs! Try it it works!"

because it's much more logical to just stick to a deficit and not eliminate food for no real reason.