Cutting out dairy products

Options
13»

Replies

• phys72
    phys72 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    On advice of my doctor I've cut out dairy, gluten, and soy. I wouldn't recommend this as something to do for kicks but when you've tried everything else to feel better it's time to try something and I'm not big on taking drugs if there is something I can do naturally. I figured with no cheese or ice cream or pizza I would lose at least a few pounds. Nope. Nothing. So as a 'diet' it may not work. I'm all for trying something short term and see if you feel better.

If you are not going to do soy then you might want to give up on the idea of yogurt. I really can't find alternatives that work for me and its too hard to find something that will compare to what you are used to. You might just need to try a different breakfast all together.
  • jagjava
    jagjava Posts: 6
    Options
    Its good to try eliminating dairy and gluten and then slowly add them back in to see if there is a reaction or a sensitivity, but in my opinion you should do a six week elimination diet. Add in the dairy first after six weeks and then after having a week with dairy, add in the glulten. If you add them both in at the same time, you won't know which one is the cause of any trouble. Personally I lose weight like crazy when I drop dairy, but I love it too much LOL to do it long term. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    I eat yogurt daily. I am starting a new regimen on Monday. I am looking for dairy-free yogurt. Any suggestions on what brands to buy?

Are you lactose intolerant? Even if you are, there is no reason to cut out dairy. I can eat certain brands of yogurt, but all my other dairy (milk, cottage cheese, ice cream, cheese) is lactose free. Soooo good, can't tell the difference.

When I didn't know I was intolerant of soy as well, I ate soy yogurt but never really like it as well.

If you like dairy, there is no reason to cut it out.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    So delicious makes a coconut yogurt, but it's really expensive!
    I tried that particular one and ended up returning it to the store for a refund. To me, it tasted totally gross.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt daily. I am starting a new regimen on Monday. I am looking for dairy-free yogurt. Any suggestions on what brands to buy?

Hey there , I use almond milk yogurt ... you can find it at sprouts, and trader joes . I'm not sure where you live but those are the stores I find them at . I hope I somewhat helped . Oh and they also have http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/ maybe you can find a store on website near you that sells their brands .
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Is no one else curious about a former NFL player who has cut out dairy and gluten? Who is it? What team? What position? Any good?

In all seriousness, OP what were his reasons? Did he have allergies or sensitivities? Was he under medical guidance to eliminate them? Generally I would suspect that the diets and exercise programs of professional athletes, current or former, are going to be a bit different than the average person...
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Runcakes wrote: »
    I don't see why some people in this thread are being so critical about her decision to cut out dairy products. If she wants to eliminate dairy products then that is her decision. All she wanted was brand suggestions, not your opinion on eliminating dairy from the diet.

My favourite dairy free brands are Silk for almond/soy milk and Yo-So for yogurt (might be Canadian only), So Delicious isn't bad either!

Thank you so very much!
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    lcooper327 wrote: »
    I don't think there will be any amazing changes in just 7 days

I chose seven days just as a starter time. I don't feel comfortable trying anything new for a long period of time. Just taking it slow!

If you have any dairy issues it takes closer to 17 days or 3weeks to see or feel the change.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I started this discussion with one simple question. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands of dairy-free yogurt? For those of you who have been genuine in your responses, thank you!!! However there have been a couple of posters who called my decision ( as a grown 35 year old woman) stupid and ridiculous. For those people, I ask that you start your own thread...you could title it "how to discourage others" or "yoohoo, pessimist over here!"

Considering the VAST majority of us have questioned your decision and have suggested you NOT remove something from your diet for arbitrary reasons in hopes it aids in weight loss, you should probably take that as a sign that your decision really IS ill-advised and is probably not going to end well.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I chose seven days just as a starter time. I don't feel comfortable trying anything new for a long period of time. Just taking it slow!

If you have any dairy issues it takes closer to 17 days or 3weeks to see or feel the change.

When I learned I was lactose tolerant, it was because I decided to try the McDoughall Diet because my friends said you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight. It's vegetarian with no milk products. It indeed did take me a few weeks to start feeling better, especially when it came to those awful tummy issues I was having.

When I found out I was soy intolerant via an elimination diet, it took a few days only before I could tell the difference.

Also, just because someone is intolerant to something does not mean they can't have any at all. For example, I do have dairy just not with lactose, but I do have yogurt. I can eat milk chocolate with no problem too.

I wouldn't think of drinking soy milk or having tofu, but most foods have traces of soy and that does not bother me.

It's true that giving up any food group does not lead to weight loss.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

When I learned I was lactose tolerant, it was because I decided to try the McDoughall Diet because my friends said you can eat as much as you want and still lose weight. It's vegetarian with no milk products. It indeed did take me a few weeks to start feeling better, especially when it came to those awful tummy issues I was having.

When I found out I was soy intolerant via an elimination diet, it took a few days only before I could tell the difference.

Also, just because someone is intolerant to something does not mean they can't have any at all. For example, I do have dairy just not with lactose, but I do have yogurt. I can eat milk chocolate with no problem too.

I wouldn't think of drinking soy milk or having tofu, but most foods have traces of soy and that does not bother me.

It's true that giving up any food group does not lead to weight loss.

I have a mild intolerance to the milk protein so that means if I want to not have the gas bloat I have to avoid all dairy. I do this for the summer but I love dairy so the rest of the year I just deal.

• skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea, I always feel so much better when I cut out dairy and/or gluten. Milk increases mucosity which can interfere with my sleep. Sleep so much better when I don't consume milk! Also gives me a foggy mind. Goof luck, and I fully support your decision to eat or not eat whatever you want!
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Tough one. I don't eat yogurt often so I don't know. Aside from cheese and butter, dairy causes me acne. I don't know why but I get zits on my face and neck and cystic acne on my back which is super painful. I avoid milk, cream, ice cream and yogurt.

Besides, vitamin D is something your body produces naturally in response to sun exposure. It is not naturally occurring in large quantities in foods. In fact, it is not naturally in dairy. Dairy is only a "good source of vitamin D" because it is added into the dairy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ITT I learned ex-NFL players give out fantastic dietary advice.
    Or not.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Why? If you're not lactose intolerant, dairy can be so good for you!

To answer the question, I have seen lot of people enjoy soy yogurt from Stonyfield. They have an organic O'Soy brand.

Exactly! Dairy is really healthy!