Low vitamin D -- any suggestions?

Options
So I just got lab results back - everything good except my vitamin D level was low at 20. It was low last year too and I didn't do anything about it. Does anyone have any experience with health problems and low D levels. Anyone notice a difference (feel better) after taking supplements?

Replies

• milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sunshine! My levels were at 21 last week so I'm taking supplements and getting out in the sun as much as I can. I hope I feel a difference soon because I am always so tired. I need more energy.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    outside with some skin showing-and no sunscreen start with 15 minutes daily.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    20 what? ng/ml or nmol/l ?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Didn't your doctor recommend some supplements to you? Usually, they say to take 5,000 to 10,000 units a day to increase your levels, but don't do it without taking to your doctor first.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm at 56ng/ml while taking 10,000 iu. Just upped it to 15,000 iu. The ideal range is 50-100ng/ml.

There are numerous reasons you should be in the ideal range. I would suggest supplementing, just be sure to get your blood checked every few months to make sure you're getting the right amount.
  • maddow
    maddow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can absorb D through food. If you are one of those people, you will need to take supplements or shots. Over time, low D can cause fatigue, impact memory and be serious.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Just go outside more and take Vitamin D supplements and eat more fatty fishes, egg yolks and cheese (low fat of course)
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I take supplements daily. I definitely have a lot more energy now that my levels are getting back to a normal range.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    So I just got lab results back - everything good except my vitamin D level was low at 20. It was low last year too and I didn't do anything about it. Does anyone have any experience with health problems and low D levels. Anyone notice a difference (feel better) after taking supplements?

Take a supplement. I'm surprised your doctor didn't give you a recommended dosage to take. To all the people saying, "Just go outside," that doesn't work for some of us. I told my doctor I that I am regularly outdoors because my son plays baseball pretty much year round. Some people are just low.

I will be honest and say that I didn't feel bad when I was low (and I was even lower than you) and I didn't feel better when I reached a normal level. But I took my supplements, and continue to do so because I don't see any point in tempting fate.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    M Knight - not sure about units. Meritage & milocamolly -- yea I will try to get more sunshine starting tomorrow. Jennifer- doc did recommend supplements. I didn't do it last year. I too am wondering if this contributes to fatigue. For some reason I am anti-vitamin/ supplements but, perhaps I should reconsider.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    M Knight - not sure about units. Meritage & milocamolly -- yea I will try to get more sunshine starting tomorrow. Jennifer- doc did recommend supplements. I didn't do it last year. I too am wondering if this contributes to fatigue. For some reason I am anti-vitamin/ supplements but, perhaps I should reconsider.

Definitely reconsider vitamin D. There is no way being deficient is better than supplementing at a safe and effective dose. There are just too many benefits of vitamin D to overlook.

I agree, most supplements are garbage and ineffective. However, there are a couple that everyone should consider taking: vitamin D and Omega 3
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was at 20 as well. You'll never get your levels up by just going outside without sunscreen. Start taking a supplement. 5,000 units a day is a good place to start. I take 50,000 units a week because it's cheap and easy to remember. I definitely have more energy since starting this, not a life changing amount, but it's better. I'll have to get tested again, I still may not be where I need to be.
  • runningforthetrain
    Options
    Everyone thanks for the responses. I am going to do sun and you have convinced me I should take supplements. It would be fantastic if it increases my energy.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    OP, did your doctor check your thyroid? Sometimes low vitamin D is a result of hypothyroidism
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    In Scandinavia, it's generally recommended to take a generic vitamin D supplement in winter as we get so little sunshine and it definitely makes a difference to me. I'm less tired and less prone to depressive moods.
    You should check with your doc about the dosage to correct your deficiency.
  • runningforthetrain
    Options
    Galgenstrick-

I think she did-- I need to go get /ask for the full print out of all my levels. She only sent a letter with the low vitamin warning and suggested supplements. I will look at the thyroid results too -- thanks for the info.
  • runningforthetrain
    Options
    Lift and balance-- i am prone to depression too -- so makes sense I should take heed of the warning. I feel dumb for ignoring it; not anymore---thanks all of you.
  • LilMissRaptr
    LilMissRaptr Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sunshine! My levels were at 21 last week so I'm taking supplements and getting out in the sun as much as I can. I hope I feel a difference soon because I am always so tired. I need more energy.

Contrary to popular belief sunlight does not actually provide adequate vitamin D unless you're the type out in the sun all day every day (which consequently can increase your risk of melanoma). Only certain types of rare light stimulate what is the beginning process of vitamin D synthesis and without proper levels of calcium the process of converting vitamin D to the kind of Vitamin D your body needs can't happen. Sunlight can create some slight elevation of levels but a supplement is your best way to go. Of course you doc probably already suggested this. You can also try introducing a more Vitamin D rich diet.

Source: Medical Physiology Courses and also heres a study

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/6/1678S.full
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D supplementation is poorly supported by the research, except in people with very low measured levels (OP wouldn't be in that category). There is an awful lot of woo-woo around this supplement...

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Vitamin D supplementation is poorly supported by the research, except in people with very low measured levels (OP wouldn't be in that category). There is an awful lot of woo-woo around this supplement...

My valoes weren't quite so low as the TOs, but taking supplements provided such big help! I was feeling tired for years and went to a doctor due to it (I lived in Skandinavia back then. No idea why THAT wasn't checked). This extreme tiredness is gone, I can concentrate better and my eyes are not so light sensitive anymore. It certainly helped.