Would like to connect with more Lifters

Options

as per the title, would like to connect with weight lifters/strength trainers for programme and nutrition ideas. I'm an intermediate currently running a upper/lower 531 split. Say hello!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I've tried Westside and 5-3-1, currently I do a hybrid I created myself since I can only lift twice a week due to work schedule, once chest/back and the other legs/shoulders.

You should also check out weighttraining.com, it's free and a good resource, plus has a points system for competitive peeps (like me).
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Also look at http://startingstrength.com - not only for people on that program.
  • damien_1971
    damien_1971 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've thought about dropping down to 2 days a week to incorporate more cardio for the summer. How's that working out for you? Making any gains?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    My goal is strength, not size. I'm lifting heavier than ever, so it seems to be working. Somebody looking for building muscle though may not agree.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just a noob running SS so I probably won't be much help to you, but hi! :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I saw the title, and thought, practically everybody should be responding to this thread.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Lots of us female lifters here on MFP too. I loosely follow Stronglifts 5x5 program.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    same split as you
  • cje151
    cje151 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What's up! Been looking for a thread like this.
  • damien_1971
    Options
    Interesting to see how people are balancing calorie deficit and strength gains. I've struggled!
  • damien_1971
    Options
    I saw the title, and thought, practically everybody should be responding to this thread.

Would be good!
  • damien_1971
    Options
    cje151 wrote: »
    This app has made life so much easier, don't know about you? Seems too good to be true
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see how people are balancing calorie deficit and strength gains. I've struggled!

I'm somehow managing to hit some PR's on barbell bench and squats, but seeing decreases in DB flat bench (volume) and Deadlifts... haha. I'm just gonna chalk it up as who the hell knows, there's so many variables that could play a part. For one, I do my DB and Deadlifting work either later in the workout or later in the week, so fatigue could play a part.... Interesting to see where others get that brute strength from when in a deficit, too.
  • damien_1971
    Options
    cje151 wrote: »
    This app has made life so much easier, don't know about you? Seems too good to be true
  • damien_1971
    Options

I'm somehow managing to hit some PR's on barbell bench and squats, but seeing decreases in DB flat bench (volume) and Deadlifts... haha. I'm just gonna chalk it up as who the hell knows, there's so many variables that could play a part. For one, I do my DB and Deadlifting work either later in the workout or later in the week, so fatigue could play a part.... Interesting to see where others get that brute strength from when in a deficit, too.
    That's weird. I've seen increases in my deadlift and bench, squat has lagged OHP has remained completely static. Only variable that has changed is alcohol. A week or mores abstinence and I'm flying again
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Im running madcows 5x5 atm with some additional vanity work thrown in two other days a week. Ive done the program a couple of times and really enjoy it. I do track my lifts outside of mfp since their interface is just terrible for it.

I use mfp to track my macros and it works well for that. Also, I am currently running the program in a deficit.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's challenging for sure. Lack of rest or doing something dumb like the stair master prior to lifting has played a bigger role in stalling for me I think rather than my caloric intake. Im really trying to keep my protein up and am running a carb cycle which i think might be helping.
  • damien_1971
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Im running madcows 5x5 atm with some additional vanity work thrown in two other days a week. Ive done the program a couple of times and really enjoy it. I do track my lifts outside of mfp since their interface is just terrible for it.

I use mfp to track my macros and it works well for that. Also, I am currently running the program in a deficit.

Id be interested to hear how you fare in deficit, I'm just starting my second 12 week cycle of 531, made some decent breakthroughs. Now I'm in deficit, I'm not so sure the next 12 weeks will be easy
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 4 day upper and lower split (with a 5th day of optional accessory work). The first half of the week is focused on strength (3-5 reps) and the second half focused on hypertrophy (8-12 reps, 60-90 sec rest). Love it thus far. Ran it in a bulk and now running it in a deficit and as mentioned above, had seen some improvements in a few movements, some declines on a few movements, and some movements are staying static week to week!
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am doing Stronglifts but changed it up a little to help me recover since 5x5 is a bit much for the old body. 3x5s on squats and OHP + 2x10s at 60%