belly fat

Options
After four kids i gain alot of weigh in my waist been trying hard to lose it no sucess so hopfully by counting calories would see some progress any opinion

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Counting calories will help you lose weight, but that weight will come off wherever it wants to. Lose enough weight and you will lose belly fat, but it might not come off there first. Good luck!
  • susansmoaks
    susansmoaks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    my belly is the first to gain and the last to lose, so I would have to get down to almost no fat before I have a flat belly. it helps to work on those muscles though!
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    my belly is the first to gain and the last to lose, so I would have to get down to almost no fat before I have a flat belly. it helps to work on those muscles though!

Yep! Same here.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Counting calories will help you lose weight, but that weight will come off wherever it wants to. Lose enough weight and you will lose belly fat, but it might not come off there first. Good luck!

This is very true. Where your body likes to store most of its fat is genetic. You can't pick and choose where to lose fat.

It actually doesn't help much to target your stomach muscles specifically. You'd be better off with a whole body exercise that engages your core. You'll get the benefits of the core movements with a much larger calorie burn and muscle engagement.

• jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Core exercises will help out a lot. They'll tone your upper body and make you look more drawn in at the waist. Combined with cardio exercises and eating well, this should help you get the results you need. Try planks, side planks, bicycle crunches, etc. You can tone your back using these, too.
  • jennismagic
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Core exercises will help out a lot. They'll tone your upper body and make you look more drawn in at the waist. Combined with cardio exercises and eating well, this should help you get the results you need. Try planks, side planks, bicycle crunches, etc. You can tone your back using these, too.
    These will not eliminate fat around your middle. They will, however, help you have better posture, which can help you look thinner.

OP, read this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

I didn't say they would. I said they would help her tone her core and help her look more drawn in at the waist, which they will, in conjunction with regular cardio, which I also mentioned. Core exercises will help her re-shape that area, and yes, help improve her posture. Cardio alone won't do it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    These will not eliminate fat around your middle. They will, however, help you have better posture, which can help you look thinner.

OP, read this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

I didn't say they would. I said they would help her tone her core and help her look more drawn in at the waist, which they will, in conjunction with regular cardio, which I also mentioned. Core exercises will help her re-shape that area, and yes, help improve her posture. Cardio alone won't do it.
    Yeah, still no.
  • jennismagic
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Yeah, still no.

It's correct, actually. Not only will toning her midsection help with its appearance (note that I'm not saying it's going to fix everything alone), the added muscle will help burn fat in general.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Yeah, still no.

It's correct, actually. Not only will toning her midsection help with its appearance (note that I'm not saying it's going to fix everything alone), the added muscle will help burn fat in general.

No. This is still wrong.

Yes, she should lift and part of that could be core work. Core work should be secondary to compound lifts and working her entire body.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Do not be discouraged!! The visceral fat, which is the kind around your organs and really bad for health, usually comes off first. It is the "just under the skin" fat that is more stubborn.

But, for the first time in my life, and at 50 yrs, I have decided to count calories. I was hoping to lose 20 lbs and I've lost 15 lbs without a ton of pain. (OK, it took a while to get used to understanding that not being FULL does not mean that I am hungry + I exercise every single day.) I have always been a hippy, fat-*kitten*, gross inner thigh-type of woman, but --- I think --- (and state with great hesitation) that my lower body fat is starting to decrease.

I must stay that my boobs have become little poached eggs swimming in my bra cups, though.

My message: I really think that you will see great results if you truly count your calories with honesty. Log in every bite, every single day. Get in some exercise if you want to eat more or feel better. You will be the great example that your kids will need.