Beginner in weights

Options
2»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Great links shared in this thread tonight... much appreciated :)
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    CyeRyn wrote: »
    Like how many reps should I be doing? How should I judge how much weight I should be using?

I use the weight machines too. I shoot for 3 sets of 10 reps each per machine. If I can't do 10, the weight is too much. If when I'm doing it the 9th and 10th feel difficult, it's right. If even the 10th is easy, it's time to add weight.

I know free weights are "better" but this is what I'm able to do. Don't feel bad about that--I don't.

The way I split up my workouts is as follows:
    one day--1/2 an hour cardio (elliptical) and then a full circuit of the weight machines. The machines take me over an hour to get through all of them...often longer.
    next day--hour cardio

that way, I am only doing the weight machines every other day, giving my muscles time to heal. I try to go every day, though if I miss one I just pick up where I was (if I miss a muscle day I start there again, if I miss a full cardio day I start there). That's what works for me--hope you find something that works for you!
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on the type of free weight exercises I should do besides squats? I cant do squats with the bar because of my balance issues and I have no spotter but I can try them with hand weights. Same with lunges. Im completely new at weights so clueless on everything. I used to just do jillian michaels dvds which I enjoy but wasnt getting the results I wanted. I still might do them on occassion they helped a little on my balance. Ill still do some of the machines. I really like the hip and ab ones.

Bicep curls, overhead tricep extensions, shoulder presses, chest press, chest flys, front and lateral raises, deadlifts, there's millions of variations with Dumbbells and barbells. I suggest you check out bodybuilding.com and become a bodyspace member, there's so many workouts on there the possibilities are endless! Good luck!
    Thank you I'll look into that. I checked out another suggestion which was the Stronglifts 5x5 but I cant do that program without a spotter and a personal trainer costs too much money. Maybe I can modify some of it with dumbbells which I'll check out on the bodybuilding.com site. Thanks for all the responses! It's all been completely helpful!
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Free weights with a body ball for stability.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I dont want to do free weights I have terrible balance and get dizzy easily. Thats why I plan to do the machines. I do squats with the assisted bar thing though. Thx for responding

If they have a yoga or Barre class, using one day/week for it will help your balance tremendously. I have found lifting the free weights helps my balance too, but if you don't have a spotter to go with you, work on the balance first.