Overeater then Binge Dieter

Options
Hello all

I am coming back to this site after succeeding last summer to get to my goal weight and then failing to keep it off and gained 40 lbs since September. I am working with a counselor for my 'bad relationship' with food. I chronically overeat for weeks or months at a time and then I chronically diet or restrict for the same period. My weight for the last 3-4 years fluctuates anywhere from 15 lbs to now 40 lbs. I am trying to break the cycle with healthy eating and exercise levels I can maintain. For starters I just need to relearn when I am hungry (for real) and when I am full.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else struggles with the same thing. Maybe there are ways we can support each other.

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• wanabefit2016
    wanabefit2016 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi sounds very similar to my story. I was very very slim one year ago, I hit goal and suddenly gave up and went back to bad habits. This time I'm not dieting I'm healthy eating and its a lifestyle change for me.
    Feel free to add me
  • dm4762
    dm4762 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate with your story. My weight has fluctuated over the past two years. I'm working out seven days a week, but I lack diet discipline. I have good and bad weeks and for my bad weeks I know it has to do with poor meal planning. What is helping you stay on track?
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've been logging on this site off and on for 3 years now. Just hard to get back into it. I injured myself a year ago and quit going to the gym to give myself time to heal. I also stopped logging. I felt very discouraged because I thought I was eating healthy but wasn't seeing results. I ended up damaging my metabolism with all the diets I've tried, most of them were calorie restricted. Lately, I've been eating high fat low carb and it helps stop my binge eating, and get my thyroid functioning properly. Now, I am so satisfied with my meals, I will "forget" to eat. It's been amazing, however I seem to mess up on the weekends, so that's something I need to work on. I just started going back to the gym and was able to workout without having an onset of nerve pain. I definitely do better when I log my food.
  • Alwaysonadiet54
    Alwaysonadiet54 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I totally understand, I have been doing this my entire life! It is exhausting. All I can do is keep trying.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I used to be like you. I think the biggest things that helped me were to set my goal to lose 1 pound per week and to prepare meals for the week on Sunday. Having grab and go breakfast and lunch for the work week as well as pre-portioned meats or ready to cook meals helped a lot with staying in control.
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    dm4762 wrote: »
    I can totally relate with your story. My weight has fluctuated over the past two years. I'm working out seven days a week, but I lack diet discipline. I have good and bad weeks and for my bad weeks I know it has to do with poor meal planning. What is helping you stay on track?

Well so far I have yet to be on track - this is my first week, literally first day, getting back to it. I'm not sure what will work but I know meal planning is a key piece. I also am going to set small goals for myself - like no drive thru this week.
  • xandralaw
    Options
    AnarchoGen wrote: »
    Same here. I've been logging on this site off and on for 3 years now. Just hard to get back into it. I injured myself a year ago and quit going to the gym to give myself time to heal. I also stopped logging. I felt very discouraged because I thought I was eating healthy but wasn't seeing results. I ended up damaging my metabolism with all the diets I've tried, most of them were calorie restricted. Lately, I've been eating high fat low carb and it helps stop my binge eating, and get my thyroid functioning properly. Now, I am so satisfied with my meals, I will "forget" to eat. It's been amazing, however I seem to mess up on the weekends, so that's something I need to work on. I just started going back to the gym and was able to workout without having an onset of nerve pain. I definitely do better when I log my food.

Glad to hear it sounds like you are finding things that work for you. Injuries suck. Can you tell me more about the high fat/low carb thing you are doing? My thyroid is borderline, but not off enough to diagnose or treat so its up to me.
  • xandralaw
    Options
    It doesn't help that I am Mom to a teen and a toddler and I spend two hours in a car commuting each day. Oh and a sedentary desk job. My only shot at exercise requires me getting up at 4:45.. I just need to start breaking the pattern a little at a time.