CARDIO? Best form of cardio exercise?

Options
Hey all,

In your opinion, what's a good form of cardio exercise? For how long? How many days?

Thanks!
Add me as a friend! I'd love the motivation! :-)

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I get so bored doing straight up cardio! I like Tabata training that mixes cardio with strength training.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    The best form of cardio exercise is the one you enjoy and will stick to.
    The American Heart Association suggests at least 30 minutes of moderate cardio exercise 5 days a week for heart health.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The one that you keep wanting to do. I used to do HIIT, cycle on a gym bike and stuff like KB swings but compared to so many other options, they are sooooooooo boring. When was the last time you laughed or cheered while doing those things? (No, muttering, "Thank god that's over!" doesn't count.) That's why I'll play a sport (my choice is dodgeball, tennis and tai chi). Working out has now become my form of entertainment.
  • NinjaSparklePup
    NinjaSparklePup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I personally think variety and balance is important. It appears that athletes who are focused on one activity (like runners) for a large chunk of their life end up doing a lot of damage to certain parts of their body (just personal observation). I've been a bit more focused on running lately (hoping to maybe do a 5k this summer) but try to switch it up with Zumba, hiking (slower pace up steeper inclines), stair climbing, and even the rowing machine once in awhile. I walk the dog every day but try to fit in the specific cardio every time we work out, ideally 2-3 times per week.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I usually run for 20 minutes or so, like 1 minute at 4.0, 1.5 minute at 6.0, 1 minute at 4.0, 2 minutes at 6.2, 1 minute at 4.0, 2.5 minutes at 6.4, etc etc until I get to 7, then I go backwards. Then I do arms or legs, and then usually finish off with the bike and stretching.
  • hbwgonnabe
    hbwgonnabe Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love to dance but hate doing it in public. At home I crank up the (guilty pleasure) Disco and dance non-stop for at least 30 minutes when no one is around. It fulfills the cardio requirement and I enjoy it so it doesn't seem like exercise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The American Heart Association suggests at least 30 minutes of moderate cardio exercise 5 days a week for heart health.

This is correct. Find something you enjoy.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy and will keep on doing.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I say running, but I like to run. Whatever you like to do, thats the best type!
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    All forms of cardio are great...Personally, for me cycling outside 5-7 hours a week when the weather warms up..Now, I'm walking 5 hours a week!!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Do what you love tumblr_m1ki1ecD3b1qzx33j.gif
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree with all other replies, best form of exercise is the ones you love and any exercise is better than none!

I love bodypump, running and the cross trainer and I've just started doing some weight training.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Like the above, the best one is the one you enjoy doing and can stick with regularly.

I like running. Which is crazy because I always hated running. But I love running. See?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    B) If you don't like any exercise or don;'t have a favorite pick the thing you hate the least that is the best gain for the least time.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I like cycling and do about 8 hours/week covering ~140 miles with about 4k climbs, 5 days a week
  • ribenarach87
    ribenarach87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hbwgonnabe wrote: »
    I love to dance but hate doing it in public. At home I crank up the (guilty pleasure) Disco and dance non-stop for at least 30 minutes when no one is around. It fulfills the cardio requirement and I enjoy it so it doesn't seem like exercise.

Sounds like me, I love to kitchen dance!

I agree with everyone else, finding something you enjoy is likely to keep you interested and motivated. I've taken up trampolining, it's not insanely intense cardio but it certainly gets your HR going, and I don't know how you could be sad on a trampoline!
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    INTERVALS
    super intense then STOP
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Cross-country skiing is the most effective cardiovascular condition activity. But if you don’t have access to do that, then stick to the kind you enjoy and will do regularly.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I hate it, but for me, the most overall effective cardio activity is rowing. Full body workout, burns a good number of calories, has really helped me lose inches. I just suck it up and do about 15km a week.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Definitely this ^^^^^

If you dread doing it - you'll give up.

Personally I love doing competitive stuff against others. Makes it fun :)