needing motivation! my bf comes home in 191 days!

Options
I love my bf but I get upset with myself because he is 6'3 and weighs the same amount as me and im 5'1! I currently weigh 155 pounds and since being with him I haven't had much success with losing weight. He can eat anything he wants and loose weight... he comes home from deployment in 191 days and I want to be the woman he deserves. I want to loose 50 pounds and I know it may be a lot for 6 months but I need to do this. I need motivation to keep me on track and help me through the plateaus. I am an emotional eater but I want to turn that into an emotional exerciser! I really hope I can pull this off and surprise him!!!! Cross your fingers for me :D

Replies

• BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey lady! My boyfriend recently just got home from deployment and let me tel you, I regained all that weight I lost when he was gone to get hot for him lol! So I totally understand your frustration... My boyfriend chows down in anything and everything & stays ripped lol meanwhile I LOOK at a cupcake and gain 5 pounds! Since We live together having all the junk in the house is badddd for my diet! I'd love to try and help support you! Im trying to lose what I gained back since he's been home! I'm gonna send you a friend request so we can support each other! Hang in there... Deployments suck so bad but it'll go faster than you think! Let me know if you need anything!!!
  • manriquezbrittany
    manriquezbrittany Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi! My worst fear is that I continue to be sad and don't get my butt off the couch! This is my first deployment since we've been together and im thankful it's only 6 months instead of a year! But im so tired of looking like a marshmallow next to him! I know he loves me but seeing his face and him thinking I look even better is worth all the sweat and tears I know will happen In the next 6 months. Thank you so much for the support!!
  • 1st_BeStrong
    1st_BeStrong Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    *Tuff Love Alert*

Okay Missy, pity party is over! You think it's hard to lay on the couch & feel crumby about yourself and your situation? How had is it for the deployed to stay positive in their conditions!?!

Put yourself in their 'boots' and get out there daily and take a long walk. Get you grub list right. You can have a lot of food, if you pick lots of fresh veggies. Baked fish like Cod, don't even think about 'fast food places'. That is what you feed to your enemy, not yourself, if you want to get healthy.

It's time to think of your own 'boot camp' daily routine. 0600 you are up with a coffee of green tea. Do some crunches in the bedroom with toes under bed or, if you want to make it harder.... butt against bed with calves & feet up on top of mattress. Make your bed before you either shower for work or go out to walk/jog a bit longer than the day before. Have a smart breakfast. Couple eggs & 1 slice off 100% whole wheat bread, dry.
    Lunch: stay away from restaurants and lunch meats. Have a few (3) oz baked skinless chicken, some veggies, sm. potato or quinoa. Don't forget to have snacks. 7 almonds, some raw veggies, a sm. piece of fruit, a small greek yogurt, etc... Take the stairs & stay off that elevator. Even stairs going 'down' is exercise!

Eat a healthy dinner. Don't know how many calories are in good (or bad) food?

Learn & write it down:
    https://mobile.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/

Lastly... thank you for you sacrifice. Having to stay behind & hold the world together till they get home, I can't imagine... BeStrong and respect yourself as much as you sound like you do you Partner. They need you to be strong for them.

Best of luck with your weight loss goal. You deserve to have what you want!

• bellaminataylor
    Options
    Awesome reply
  • manriquezbrittany
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am by no means throwing myself a pity party I've gotten off of my weight loss and I am ready to get back on it. I was simply looking for a hey good workout from people to keep me motivated. I thank you for your tough love but I'm actually very upset by this knowing you and other people think I was looking for a pity party. No I was looking for friends and people to help me through my journey, I'm very sorry it didn't come off that way.
  • beccam83
    beccam83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! My fiancé's going to be deployed soon and I'm dreading it. How are you staying so strong?!

I didn't read your post like a pity party at all :) first of all be active about your weight loss! Like join the discussions on MFP, get s real life friend who might want to go for walks/jogs with you?

If you have control of your shopping then use it! Stock up on veggies, buy snacks in moderation and log stuff on here.

I believe in you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I love my bf but I get upset with myself because he is 6'3 and weighs the same amount as me and im 5'1! I currently weigh 155 pounds and since being with him I haven't had much success with losing weight. He can eat anything he wants and loose weight... he comes home from deployment in 191 days and I want to be the woman he deserves. I want to loose 50 pounds and I know it may be a lot for 6 months but I need to do this. I need motivation to keep me on track and help me through the plateaus. I am an emotional eater but I want to turn that into an emotional exerciser! I really hope I can pull this off and surprise him!!!! Cross your fingers for me :D

He's 6ft3 and weighs 155lbs? I'd be more worried about jus weight than yours!
  • manriquezbrittany
    Options
    beccam83 wrote: »
    Hey girl! My fiancé's going to be deployed soon and I'm dreading it. How are you staying so strong?!

I didn't read your post like a pity party at all :) first of all be active about your weight loss! Like join the discussions on MFP, get s real life friend who might want to go for walks/jogs with you?

If you have control of your shopping then use it! Stock up on veggies, buy snacks in moderation and log stuff on here.

I believe in you

Thanks so much for the support! It's hard and it will always be hard. The thing that keeps me strong is my love for him and his love for what he does. We don't want to be away from eachother but it's his job.. time and distance does make the heart grow fonder ♡

I'm going to be logging everything on here! Even bad days. I'm already pretty active but I need to get back into my routine of making all my meals for work and going to the gym everyday!
  • manriquezbrittany
    Options

He weighs a bit more but he's in outstanding shape and runs a lot. But this was not about him.. Thanks.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

He weighs a bit more but he's in outstanding shape and runs a lot. But this was not about him.. Thanks.

Once he is home, he will put on more weight. I wouldn't worry.
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My husband was in the army and it is so much easier for them to stay fit with all the exercise they do its part of the job to be fit.....just stay positive,I'm sure all he will be thinking about is how he can't wait to get home to you no matter if u have lost weight or not!!!but good luck honey!
  • debsweetcakes
    Options
    Hey! Don't feel bad, if he picks on you tell him he needs to gain weight! ;) 6 months is a safe enough time to healthily lose that! In 2011 it took me 4 months to lose 40 pounds, became pregnant in 2012 then it took me 5 months to lose 50. Diet is most of your results. I started with light weight workouts with a lot of cardio and then to heavy weights and less cardio which resulted in a huge difference in body composition! Another thing that may help you keep motivated is taking a picture in the same outfit and background once per week. Weighing and measuring will not tell the whole story of a change but pics will! Good luck to you, you can totally do this!!!! :)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi! My worst fear is that I continue to be sad and don't get my butt off the couch! This is my first deployment since we've been together and im thankful it's only 6 months instead of a year! But im so tired of looking like a marshmallow next to him! I know he loves me but seeing his face and him thinking I look even better is worth all the sweat and tears I know will happen In the next 6 months. Thank you so much for the support!!

I don't know whether your countdown is a made up number or not, but I hope so. It's important not to give out details such as deployment/return dates, etc.... I hope your boyfriend talked to you about OPSEC before he left?

Getting on a good workout routine and taking care of yourself is the BEST way to get through this. Healthy eating and exercise help keep your mood up.

I know how you're feeling, as my hubby is active duty as well. He's currently on an unaccompanied short tour, but comes home for his mid-tour leave in a few weeks. I haven't seen him since August and I am so excited!
  • DeeDeeS13
    DeeDeeS13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Make good choices every day. Stay active. If you're at home with the tv on, walk in place, jog in place, buy a $50 stepper and cheap handweights and use them. It's all about discipline and determination. Make good food choices - lean proteins and a lot of veggies, very little carbs. MyFitnessPal and Fitbit have been very effective in keeping me on track. Good luck, you can do this!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think a good first step would be a more attainable goal. 50 pounds in six months is doable... if you have 100 pounds to lose. You don't have that much to lose, and the last half of that is going to be slower to come off than the first half. How about aim for 30 pounds in six months?

I also think you took the Tuff Love post a lot more personally than intended. I took it as a play on how a drill sergeant treats new recruits, and thought the post was really cute.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think if he was going to look at you and be sad, it is because you have such a poor self image. You look down upon yourself and you feel that is how he must feel too. Has he said that he would find you more attractive if you lost weight? If he hasn't, don't assume he has. That is the worst thing you can do because it will drive you crazy.

What if you never get to the weight you want to be? Are you going to sit around and whine about it, feeling unattractive and thereby pushing him away? You need to learn to love yourself.

Don't make losing weight an all or nothing scenario. There are countless people on here who feel that one day of eating a few cookies spoils the whole thing. These people also throw in the towel if they miss one workout. it isn't the end of the world and it shouldn't end any progress you are making. We are not perfect and trying to get there is impossible and filled with disappointment. If you work hard and don't look for perfect, you will get there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Depends on trade to be honest.

I lost weight on my last deployment, despite eating all the available food.